Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Captains builds - defensive or offensive better?

5 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
393 posts
5,301 battles

Now that I'm in the rarified air of T9 and 10 fights, I've noticed that I've carried a bit of my lower tiered tendencies with me (I fight USN and IJN dds mostly with the occasional cruisers from the same nations).  My captains builds tend to keep me in the fight longer (Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush, Survivability Expert, Superintendent).  I'm wondering if I should think about more aggressive builds.  All my USN captains get BFT and all of my IJN captains get TAE.  Should I be thinking more offense than defense at this level?  I'm holding my own, but I'm not exactly lighting the game on fire in these 9 and 10 fights.

Beta Testers
58 posts
2,289 battles

DDs role is an offensive one naturally. That being said,  would say the lions share of your captain skills should be defensive, they should help you survive. A DD that lasts longer in the game can do way more for the team than one that gets blasted early. I would say buffing some offensive skills in a high level captain is hugely beneficial,  but survival should take priority. I'm an average DD player at best, but I have noticed I do better and win more in games that I play longer in. Good luck!

[INTEL]
Members
7,119 posts
29,282 battles

DDs need LS and SE. Lasting longer is important. The longer you last the more important to the battle you become.

For gunboats you want BFT to improve your RoF. For IJN torp DDs you want to reduce your torpedo reload. In all cases you need concealment (CE and camo is a must obviously).

The meta for high tier DDs has changed. Radar is so prevalent that it makes it very hard to cap early, so don't. A sure way to get wrecked. Scout, hunt the red DDs and harass what you can.

Once the field thins out you can cap and play more aggressively.

Members
26 posts
6,325 battles

Just stay alive, no matter how long, no matter how far....     

I think the standard 10pt build for dd's focuses on survivability:  preventative maint, last stand, survive exp, concealment exp.  

The next 9 pts is where you can customize your ship depending on the line's strengths (guns vs torps, etc).  But either way you go, the strategy in the match should be to stay alive as long as possible.  A dd with 0 damage can win the game for the team by spotting and capping late in the game.  This is especially true in high tiers due to the lethality of high tier ships.  1 salvo from a monty can take half (or more) of your health.  One 56s radar from a DM can easily kill you if you are caught in a bad position and focused.   

If you feel that you are not performing as well as you would like, a common reason may be because of dying too early.  

Sign in to follow this