You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NAfishyCaptain

Premium ships (T8 dds)

20 comments in this topic

[USCC]
[USCC]
Members
1,916 posts
9,756 battles

Kidd all day!   Asashio is a one trick pony.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
3 minutes ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Hey, I have a choice: buy the Kidd or Asashio? Please give me your opinion. Thanks.

Just now, SpudZero said:

Kidd all day!   Asashio is a one trick pony.

This^^. Asashio torps can only hit BBs and CVs. Kidd is an AA DD, but is more well rounded than Asashio I believe. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles

Kidd, accept no substitute

[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,250 battles
10 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Kidd, accept no substitute

Lo Yang works well also. The problem is grinding up an 19 point CO if you don't have one.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
6 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Lo Yang works well also. The problem is grinding up an 19 point CO if you don't have one.

Well, with the PA DD line, you can move a captain up and grind captain points in the Ashan and Loyang. I can't play that line very well, so I have a 10pt captain on Fushun that I use for the PA premium DDs and Huanghe.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
328 posts
6,250 battles

I got Lo Yang and a 10pt capt in a super today. My second ship in a super in a month :Smile_hiding:

• Angry 1

[KWC]
Members
71 posts
1,571 battles

I already have loyang, just want some advice on buying kidd or asashio. I play Loyang as a hybrid similar to torpboat, so any recommendations?

[TBW]
Members
7,533 posts
13,813 battles
39 minutes ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Hey, I have a choice: buy the Kidd or Asashio? Please give me your opinion. Thanks.

The Kidd is more versatile. Asashio depends on a BB rich environment.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
21 minutes ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

I already have loyang, just want some advice on buying kidd or asashio. I play Loyang as a hybrid similar to torpboat, so any recommendations?

14 minutes ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

If I was to play a torpedo boat, what would you still recommend, and what do you find fun?

I recommend Kidd. It has smoke, Heal (which is big in a DD) and either DFAA or Speed boost. Guns like a Fletcher. Only one torp launcher, but with 5  9.2km 55 kt torps, so she is not a real torp boat with a 122s reload. With the AA module, you have a 53 AA rating with 6km range (7.2km with AFT).  38 kts, 620m turn and 3.9s rudder shift. With the concealment module you get down to 6.4km and with the CE skill down to 5.8km. Your air detectability can be down to 3.3km, so you can ambush planes with the DFAA.

I don't have Asashio, but it does have 2x4 torps with a 20km range, 67 kts speed and 20k damage. But they can only hit BBs and CVs, so if there are not many of those in the game, you have to rely on your 3x2  127mm guns with a 7 sec reload and 26 sec 180 degree turn time. Her AA is 2x2  25mm guns, with 10 dps and a 3km range, so if you are pounced by planes, it could go badly. She has 35kts speed, 640 turn and 3.6 rudder shift. You start with a 6.84km detection with the concealment module giving you 6.16km and CE getting you to 5.54km. Camo gets you to 5.37km.

So basically, Kidd is a gun boat with good AA and few torps. Asashio is a torp boat, but can only hit BBs and CVs. If you like torp boat only play, Asashio would have the edge, but I think Kidd is more rounded even with the bad torps.

Edited by Kizarvexis

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles

Asashio IMO best DD when new BB/BB line comes out...

Also, if you take pleasure in punishing BB players for all the bad things that happened to this game. :Smile_trollface: Otherwise stay away.

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles

Kidd is far from a torpedo boat. Torps arent great and theres only one launcher. If you want a torp boat then get Harekaze. Has great torps and stealth but still has some decent firepower with the newly buffed 100mm (ifhe not required)

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
12 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Kidd is far from a torpedo boat. Torps arent great and theres only one launcher. If you want a torp boat then get Harekaze. Has great torps and stealth but still has some decent firepower with the newly buffed 100mm (ifhe not required)

HSF Harakaze is like 3 DDs in one ship. You have the 3x2 IJN 127mm guns like the T6-T8 IJN DD guns. You have the 3x2 IJN 100mm guns like the T8 Akizuki guns, that just got buffed with 1/4 HE pen, so IFHE is not mandatory any more. You also have the 3x1 US 127mm/54 Mk 38 guns similar to the Montana 127mm secondaries, but with longer range. The 100mm and US 127mm guns are DP for AA. The torps are all the same with 2x4  10km  62kts torps that do 17k damage and reload in 101s. You can trade out the smoke module for a torp reload module with a 8s reload and  240-360s cooldown. You can get down to 5.4km detect with the CE module and CE skill. Not too bad in speed at 35.5kts, 640 turn and 4s rudder shift. You have the choice of the HSF camo or a more normal IJN camo. Both offer the normal combat bonus, -10% service cost, +50% XP and +100% FXP.

Here is what they look like.

Spoiler

ZsO7Hid.jpg

GiQC3WP.jpg

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I have Kidd, Asashio, Harekaze, and Lo Yang. IMHO, Lo Yang's the best of the bunch, she quickly got me to rank 10 in the last ranked season. Harekaze is damn good too. I'm not impressed with Kidd or Asashio.

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

IMO, none of the T8 premium DDs are really a bad choice.

It's just a matter of playstyle preferences

Edited by MrDeaf

[RED2]
Members
1,600 posts
8,418 battles
2 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

If I was to play a torpedo boat, what would you still recommend, and what do you find fun?

Well if you're planning on a torpedo boat Asashio is the clear choice over Kidd simply because Kidd doesn't have enough torps nor or they good. However overall i would recommend the Kidd over Asashio. Kidd is trollishly effective against other DDs and CVs and while it has sub standard effectiveness against cruisers its still better than Asashio in that department. Destroying DDs is just more on meta than destroying battleships, because if you do so you can easily blind the enemy flank.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,624 posts
10,649 battles

I would recommend Kidd since it can be good at almost everything. 

Asashio is really good against BB but if you don't have any knowledge on IJN DD in general, don't play it. Don't be those people who bought Asashio thinking it would wipe the floor of everything then come and complain on the forum that Asashio torps can only hit BB and CV. If you're looking for a T8 IJN DD premium, I would instead recommend Harekaze. But again, even Harekaze will require you to know how to play IJN DD in general but at least her torps can hit everything.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,058 posts
5,820 battles

harekaze,can work as a gunboat and torpedoboat at the same time.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,746 posts
15,946 battles

Kidd ... no contest.