You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SeaKnight_1990

Grinding Through Ranger

22 comments in this topic

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles

So now, after some hard battles in Random and Co-op, I'm now up to 20k XP on Ranger. I decided to start grinding her again after realizing the lack of T8+ USN carriers or cruisers isn't doing me much favors in the Halsey missions. To seasoned Lexington (at least) captains, what are some things I can do to make the grind less painful??

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

Next us CV lex is even more painful, end up playing coop rather than random, I had often little problem with ranger but mostly ok, could been better in random but not only painful to play lex but losing even kage sink lex in I one strike or little credit if play well I tell you it's much more painful next CV, ranger is last stop for random but I hadn't play 9 or 10 tier us CV yet but still working on it once in while, not all the time as I take a break from CV time to time, playing other class of ships 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
273 posts
6,807 battles

Make sure the airplane buff upgrades are equipped. Remember that in every match you face, other than the mirror, you are the strike carrier. Your planes are more durable, but with only one fighter squadron, you can't take control of the skies by force. What you have is a deep reserve of strike planes, so focus on getting your drops off. Use your fighters to deter theirs, and once your strike drops are away, if they catch your planes then it isn't as big an issue. Most important, if they do attempt to engage your planes with theirs, keep the strafes head on, and don't let them catch you from side or behind.

When you get to Lexington, it will play the exact same way.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
328 posts
6,250 battles

Yea I was 50/50 in ranger. Some games good and some games bad. The presence of Saipan made me quit. Just remember at t8 you will get to face enterprise and endless fighters.

Members
3,033 posts
4,322 battles
On 8/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

How do I deal with Saipans in the Ranger?

Get good with counter exit straffing. Wait for him to exit strafe then click then alt click after his fighters. 

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

The only way to win against a Saipan is to either get in a battle with a crappy Saipan Captain, and/or hope to god he's not running Air Superiority. <In which case, he can literally just click his fighters onto yours and not even having to think about it. The only thing that will make him hesitate is if you have a US Cruiser to hide your planes over and even then, he can probably tear your planes apart before his are destroyed.

Those are your only two options.

If he's running AS, You're SOL. Those 3 fighter squadrons of his will rip your single 6 squadron apart. Especially so if he knows how to strafe. Sure, you can strafe, you might even be able to take out one of his squadrons, but the moment your fighters get locked down into a dogfight, they're dead. If that Saipan player has any sense, he'll just sacrifice his 3-4 planes and get rid of your 6.

Likewise, if the Saipan is running bombers, you've got at least a slight chance. You are at least able to match his fighters to a degree. This time it depends entirely on who knows how to strafe better. Getting locked into a dogfight is still going to be the end of your squadron though... or at least you will lose enough of them to have to pull them back to your CV (Unless you've got the skill that improves your fighter damage based on tier; then you might actually do ok). Best bet here would be to attempt to engage his fighters over your allied ships. Every little bit helps.

Ultimately, you are going to have to be extremely passive. Use your planes ONLY near your ships and provide short-range support. Find your best AA cruiser or BB and keep your planes near them and only send out the bombers if/when you've got the enemies fighters locked into combat or make sure they are far enough away so that your bombers don't get wiped from the sky before they can reach their target. <Again, if the enemy is running Air Superiority AND knows how to strafe, you are just completely SOL.

Edited by Levits

[CUTIE]
Members
55 posts
4,294 battles
On 14/08/2018 at 12:11 AM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

How do I deal with Saipans in the Ranger?

Head on strafe them when coming at each other. Your 7 planes will always beat his 4. If he clicks on you exit strafe to the nearest American cruiser. Also remember, you can tell when a squadron is about to strafe because it will have a "bump" or slow down briefly and then speed up again. Watch for that and get out of the strafe zone at a 90 degree angle

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles
On 8/20/2018 at 2:50 AM, Hassan_T said:

Head on strafe them when coming at each other. Your 7 planes will always beat his 4. If he clicks on you exit strafe to the nearest American cruiser. Also remember, you can tell when a squadron is about to strafe because it will have a "bump" or slow down briefly and then speed up again. Watch for that and get out of the strafe zone at a 90 degree angle

I brought up the scenario of a secondary duel with a Saipan as a possibility. Being that I'd have a clear advantage over him (having usable secondary guns,) and having a slightly better rudder shift time (and speed, with the flag equipped,) who would come out on top in that scenario?

• Funny 1

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles

All right, so I now have gotten to just over 30,000 XP, just more than 25% of the way to Lexington. I'm averaging around 20k-ish damage, and have about 8 kills. Is it going to get harder from here?

[SYJ]
Members
159 posts
8,772 battles

I just had a match in a Ranger.... Can someone explain me this?

Spoiler

5bb265372c10d_RangerKingofTheAir1.thumb.jpg.064b0a8281f8222dd3381dec66291627.jpg5bb26542c7a4f_RangerKingofTheAir2.thumb.jpg.2e402b1b39305a88b1a2ef7918634500.jpg

Members
3,033 posts
4,322 battles
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

I brought up the scenario of a secondary duel with a Saipan as a possibility. Being that I'd have a clear advantage over him (having usable secondary guns,) and having a slightly better rudder shift time (and speed, with the flag equipped,) who would come out on top in that scenario?

Wow, I had to look up your stats just to see is you were serious...

How do you end up with an 18% survival rate in a CV?

I don't mean to be rude but I suggest dropping back down a few tiers and working on the basics. Watch all of these

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/79134-fara-carrier-guide/

Take notes and practice in a training room to get a feel.

Also if you are having a problem with manual torpedo drops then this may help:

Once you get the hang of it you don't need the assist anymore but it is a good "Training wheel". Also learn to strafe, people make a bigger deal than what it is. Just hold the ALT key and learn to aim.

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, Sammy_Small said:

I just had a match in a Ranger.... Can someone explain me this?

Hide contents

5bb265372c10d_RangerKingofTheAir1.thumb.jpg.064b0a8281f8222dd3381dec66291627.jpg5bb26542c7a4f_RangerKingofTheAir2.thumb.jpg.2e402b1b39305a88b1a2ef7918634500.jpg

I don't know, man. Either you and your fellow Ranger were really good, or the enemy CVs were impotent (though not impotent enough to barely survive the battle.)

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles
On 10/4/2018 at 11:00 PM, StoneRhino said:

Wow, I had to look up your stats just to see is you were serious...

How do you end up with an 18% survival rate in a CV?

I don't mean to be rude but I suggest dropping back down a few tiers and working on the basics. Watch all of these

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/79134-fara-carrier-guide/

Take notes and practice in a training room to get a feel.

Also if you are having a problem with manual torpedo drops then this may help:

Once you get the hang of it you don't need the assist anymore but it is a good "Training wheel". Also learn to strafe, people make a bigger deal than what it is. Just hold the ALT key and learn to aim.

How do I end up with an 18% survival rate?

Merely the fact that I haven't been playing them very often is why. And I often get stuck in impossible situations (blame can go either way) when I do; including Saipans, T9 ships, or both.

I'm still at T4 in the Hosho. It's taking a while to grind up her, in no small part because I've been doing missions that require T5 or higher, and it isn't high priority right now. I've also decided to keep grinding the IJN cruiser branch to T10, and to get the British and French branches there (as well as German battleships) before attempting any further progress on any other branches for now.

There. Does that answer your question?

Members
3,033 posts
4,322 battles
20 hours ago, SeaKnight_1990 said:

There. Does that answer your question?

Not really. I can't image a scenario that does not involve an 18% win rate that produces an 18% survival rate.

I play on the verge of yoloing to include ships with single digit survival rates. With CVs I actually like to hide in the red team's spawn.

I consider my ranger to have a bad survival rate to the point that it negatively impacted it's win rate. I think a few screen shots of where you died would help. Also watch the videos I linked

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles
1 hour ago, StoneRhino said:

Not really. I can't image a scenario that does not involve an 18% win rate that produces an 18% survival rate.

I play on the verge of yoloing to include ships with single digit survival rates. With CVs I actually like to hide in the red team's spawn.

I consider my ranger to have a bad survival rate to the point that it negatively impacted it's win rate. I think a few screen shots of where you died would help. Also watch the videos I linked

I don't have screenshots, but I can tell you I try to stay with my team, and adjust my position to stay with them as needed.

Members
3,033 posts
4,322 battles
13 hours ago, SeaKnight_1990 said:

I don't have screenshots, but I can tell you I try to stay with my team, and adjust my position to stay with them as needed.

Ok let me break some things down for.

The Ranger's unmodified detection range is just under 15km. What that means is that if you're within 10 km of the fleet's lead ship. A red DD gets with in 5 km of that lead ship you are spotted. Then every red ship in range will shoot you. There is a dotted line on the mini map and you should use that to keep out of detection range from red ships.

If you are dieing to CV Snipes than you need to understand the time it takes to circle the map. Then if you don't see the red attack craft for about 2/3 of the time it takes. Cycle your fighters back and scout the most likely approach. 

Spoiler

t1PIC2Y.jpg

See that dotted line on the mini map. That is the detection range. see how its just short of the red ships.

Spoiler

P2W310f.jpg

Lexington but the same. watch that dotted line.

Spoiler

YnKcKNU.jpg

Hiryu but the same.

Spoiler

5kp56wS.jpg

This one I used an island to break los

Knowing those things should keep you alive barring the other CV just being a better player.

Disclaimer:

These are older pics pre USN loadout rework that I just had in my Imgur.

Edited by StoneRhino

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles

Given the impending CV rework, should I attempt any further progress on grinding any CVs at this time? I signed up to be a beta tester for the rework.

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles

Now, time for the next bit of big news: My first 10-point CV captain. He has ASX, Torp accel, TAE, and Air Supremacy. What would be good skills for the remaining nine points?

[SYJ]
Members
159 posts
8,772 battles

That depends, is the captain going to be on a Lexington?
If yes, then you defiantly want Concealment Expert. Base concealment is ~17.5 km, that is worse then most Battleships. By the way Midway, also has "terrible" concealment at ~18.4 km.
Dogfighting Expert is nice to have for extra fighter ammo and it is only 1 point. (Take this 1st over CE, if you still don't have a Lexington )
For the last 4 points most people recommend AFT, to push the Def AA* (only effects medium caliber AA, as in 40mm on USN CVs) bubble from 3.5 km to 4.2km. Since T8 and above CVs have Def AA, "Carrier Sniping" is less common in those tiers, so it is up to personal taste what to spend the points on.

Edited by Sammy_Small

[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
4,002 battles

Right, now because the game disconnected, I don't have the screenshots to prove it, but I just got out of a game where I broke my damage records in both the Ranger and carriers, with 107k. Sadly, I got killed trying to take out an enemy Fuso and Richilieu, who I took to almost no health early on in the game; but my team still won, after our Clevelands finished off the Fuso. I also have 45k XP to go. 

It seems that each time you go through each 10k XP interval, the next ship in the branch seems that much closer. I think it only works at the higher tiers. 

[WOLFD]
Members
112 posts
3,376 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

So now, after some hard battles in Random and Co-op, I'm now up to 20k XP on Ranger. I decided to start grinding her again after realizing the lack of T8+ USN carriers or cruisers isn't doing me much favors in the Halsey missions. To seasoned Lexington (at least) captains, what are some things I can do to make the grind less painful??

Enjoy it!   New ranger is a lot of fun