You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Riker_2

Furutaka

8 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

I am think about going back to the  Furutaka how does it do with all the new cruisers in the game i have been playing the tier 7 German cruiser York getting tried of not getting the hits with the guns go wide or short so i was thinking of trying another line want to see how the IJN line does with all the new ships in the game. Any help would be app.

[MACH1]
Members
174 posts
13,643 battles

I love the IJN cruisers good stealth, torps and guns. Down side slow moving guns and don't show your side but that is most cruisers AA not the best but can hold your own believe I have shot down 26 planes with my Myoko. I have played every cruiser in the game and IJN is by far my favorite to play.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,577 posts
12,558 battles

I only have issues with the IJN cruisers' slow turret traverse from tier 5 and up that seems to be most prominent when at the Myoko

followed by very squishy belt armor on most of them when broadside to the cylinders of other cruisers and BBs

However they are like the guy above me has said are fast many reaching 34 kts, good torpedoes(if you can get past their limited firing field), can relatively stealth up and respectable HE rounds that seem to be at odds with those from french cruisers.

[KAPPA]
Members
722 posts
5,153 battles

Furutaka is still one of the best T5 cruisers once fully upgraded, which is where she's been ever since the addition of the C hull. As an aside, if you're having issues with Yorck, I'm kind of curious as to some details about how you're using her. My rule of thumb with her (ever since watching iChase's examination of her gunnnery) is targets outside of 10 km get HE regardless of armor or angling, because the HE shells are WWII era coastal defense shells and retain velocity better than her AP shells. The thing you have to remember about Yorck is that her guns and AP shells in particular are about 20 years older than the ship design they are on in this game, the 210mm guns are off of Germany's first attempted response to the British battlecruisers, SMS Blücher (not a very successful response I might add). They had a few spare guns left over after WWI and put them to coastal defense work for WWII and made updated HE shells, but never updated the AP shells, so we get an odd mix of shells in-game on our proposed ship design that would have used these left-over guns. The AP within 10km hits like a freight train on broadside targets, and I'm quite fond of the Yorck after learning the quirks of her guns.

Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

On the Yorck i am using He at 14 K to 15 K it just seems that i can`t hit a broad side ship with more then 2 to 3 shells the rest fall short or wide

[KAPPA]
Members
722 posts
5,153 battles

Hmm, I'd have to recommend bumping that to anything beyond 10km. Otherwise, that's just kind of how the dispersion tends to be, Yorck is something of a brawler and gets more dangerous the closer you get. The good news is those 210mm HE shells have darn good penetration on them, with that 1/4 diameter pen rule they gave the German cruisers awhile back. The irony of me trying to help you with your German cruiser problems is, I've recently gotten one of my own. I'm working on the Roon right now and having Nurnberg's turret arrangement at tier 9 is a pain. It worked fine at tiers 5 and 6, but 9 is pushing it. At least you've got Hipper to go through first and she's a gem.

[RKLES]
Members
8,972 posts
10,828 battles
13 hours ago, Solitary_Stalker said:

I love the IJN cruisers good stealth, torps and guns. Down side slow moving guns and don't show your side but that is most cruisers AA not the best but can hold your own believe I have shot down 26 planes with my Myoko. I have played every cruiser in the game and IJN is by far my favorite to play.

Expert Marksman skill really helps with turret traverse.

My standard IJN CA skills are Preventive Maintinence ( although Priority target might be better for some), Last Stand, Demolition Expert, and Concealment Expert to start with. Then I add Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marksman, and Superintendent. 

Having the extra Catapult fighter on Furutaka is a life saver since without defensive AA or really much of any AA Guns your Catapult fight is only thing you have that can shoot down planes..

• Cool 1