Sign in to follow this  
alexbuildit

14GB free ram, 200gb free space, why bad performance?

9 comments in this topic

Members
50 posts
1,832 battles

So... I have a MacBook Pro (2015), and bought the highest 16gb RAM variant, as well as the most storage variant at the time for the flexibility it offers. I play WOWS on the Mac, and it runs quite terribly frankly... and I can’t tell why. I have all settings on low (including sound), and ran a diagnostic while the game was running. I still have 7 gb of free RAM while the game is active, and yet the game freezes and crashes as if it was out of memory... I have only two other apps installed on the computer, with hundreds of GBs of space free, so it isn’t a cluttered computer... It also isn’t my network connection, I average 45 ping on most nights... Is the only reason it isn’t performing well solely due to the fact that I am playing on a Mac? Is there anything I can do to stop the freezes and constant crashes? It’s so annoying, I only want to play ships... and thought I have a decent hardware for the game with so much Ram and space...

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,224 posts
11,779 battles

While you play WoWs, make sure you shut down other run in the background program that not need. You can google yourself which program need to be kill while playing - RAM problem sorted

Also your HDD, is it SDD? it faster if SDD as normal HDD drive was using standard cable, SDD is faster in a way - hard drive problem sorted

Lastly - check your internet connection make sure you are close to the router

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Wired or WiFi?

If it's the latter, plug-in, it make loads of difference. 

If you're wired, it might have to do with how your router is setup or your ISP. 

It also could have something to do either how may other clients in your area are with the same ISP. Enough with the same provider using it at the same time will cause delays. 

[DIEHP]
Beta Testers
115 posts
4,087 battles

What video card does it have?

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 hour ago, alexbuildit said:

So... I have a MacBook Pro (2015)

Which one? GPU or integrated? Which CPU? Frankly, MacBook’s don’t run games very well. I have a 2015 as well but I have better performance on my Dell Precision from 2011. Are you playing on a hard surface? Do you have any cooling mats or anything? The freezing could be more or less the thermal throttling. You shouldn’t have RAM issues.

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,351 battles

There's better explanations out there, but the basic concept is that, because of some aspect of how the game is programmed, the mac wrapper is very unstable. The biggest issue is that, for some reason, the game doesn't tell your computer how much memory it is using up, causing it to overflow its allotted memory and hence crash. They suggest a fix on the wows support page, but for me and most others it hasn't made a difference.

For what it's worth, the game has almost never crashed for me while playing clan battles. That said, the only known fix is to sell your computer on ebay and buy a windows.

Edit: Here's what WG have to say on the matter:
https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19489/

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 1

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles

@alexbuildit

It's because of Memory Leak.

WoWs is a 32bit application, and when the graphics card gets full, it uses RAM also. When it has to use more than 4GB of RAM, the game crashes.

A 64bit version of WoWs (which is in testing) should fix this. I have the same problems on my Mac also.

Please try this "fix" from the Mac Wrapper Feedback and Bugs thread:

Make sure both in-game Graphics and Sound settings are set to Low.

Try to minimize the amount of apps you have open while you are playing WoWs.

Lastly, restart your game about every 3-10 battles (after every other battle when playing Operations) to clear the RAM WoWs uses.

Hope this helps!

-Rpkscout1

Edited by Rpkscout1

Sign in to follow this