Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Harekaze CO Build for ranked -IFHE or RDF? Need an opinion

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

561
[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,241 battles

Okay, the 100 mm guns got a buff in the last patch:

 

Balance Changes

100 mm HE shell

  • The armor penetration capacity of Japanese 100 mm HE shells was increased from 17 mm to 25 mm.

This shell is used by the main guns of Akizuki and Harekaze, and by the secondary battery guns of Ibuki, Zao, Kii, Taiho, and Hakuryu.

This change will make it possible for HE shells to penetrate the armor of all destroyers except the main armor belt of Khabarovsk. And if your Commander helming these ships has mastered the Inertia Fuse for HE Shells skill, your shells will be able to penetrate armor that is up to 32 mm thick, creating an extra advantage for the Japanese destroyers.

 

So, IMO, the Harekaze at least is competitive now for ranked.  Most CA's are 25 mm in the bow/stern. The only exception are the KM CA's (27mm).  All BB's are 32mm. The build I'm using currently is this in Random:

shot-18_08.04_14_03.38-0702.thumb.jpg.9598fc29dedafb4c91487c7287cc7270.jpg

 

The issue is for me is whether RDF would be a better pick for ranked than IFHE.  RDF would tell me whether or not the closest ship is in the area or not. Coupled with 5.4 km deterction, at least I can get the first salvo off. IFHE would allow me to penetrate all ships with no issues. Otherwise I'd have to aim for the superstructure and decks of KM CA's and all BB's. SO less dakka dakka. Any opinions?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,882
[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles

I agree that Harekaze is very competitive choice for Ranked. :cap_like:

Based on my experience with Kagero and the fact Wargaming recently buffed 100mm IJN Guns, you might actually want to go with Jack of all Trades to speed up Consumables Reload, but not sure what you would do with other 2 skill points though, maybe Hogh Alert or the smoke skill depending on if you use smoke or not. IFHE can still be ok as well.

RDF can be useful if you know how to use it, but if you are sneaking up to stealth Torp then it can give you away if the enemy knows how to realize such things. I have had DDs fail to Torp me simply because sometimes when that RDF Alert pops up it just lets me know I have a DD close to me since it is me that is detected and not somebody else. So can be double edged sword.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
561
[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,241 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I agree that Harekaze is very competitive choice for Ranked. :cap_like:

Based on my experience with Kagero and the fact Wargaming recently buffed 100mm IJN Guns, you might actually want to go with Jack of all Trades to speed up Consumables Reload, but not sure what you would do with other 2 skill points though, maybe Hogh Alert or the smoke skill depending on if you use smoke or not. IFHE can still be ok as well.

RDF can be useful if you know how to use it, but if you are sneaking up to stealth Torp then it can give you away if the enemy knows how to realize such things. I have had DDs fail to Torp me simply because sometimes when that RDF Alert pops up it just lets me know I have a DD close to me since it is me that is detected and not somebody else. So can be double edged sword.

Been using RDF in the Lo Yang last season, so no problems on that front. Have the extended mods for smoke and engine boost, so that takes care of JAOT and superintendent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

If you favour Smoke then IFHE. 

If you favour TRB then RDF.

--- 

Since you're running the 4-10 hull IFHE is always a good option, sure you've got the Torpedoes to deal with BBs, but that extra dakka will help when you need to reveal your position to assist with tanking; your threat presence is higher than that's BB or CACL that needs to flash their Broadside to retreat. 

Also the whole smoke firing thing can be done and you can damage everything with IFHE. 

But if you're favouring TRB having RDF is great for "blind Torp" flooding of an area. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,882
[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Been using RDF in the Lo Yang last season, so no problems on that front. Have the extended mods for smoke and engine boost, so that takes care of JAOT and superintendent.

Yeah like I said, not everyone knows how to counter RDF, but the fact I know how to reverse track RDF users makes me not want to use RDF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,073 posts
509 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah like I said, not everyone knows how to counter RDF, but the fact I know how to reverse track RDF users makes me not want to use RDF.

RIvX3LR.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,073 posts
509 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Your point is?

you cannot do what you say you can do... then again you always seem to say you can do things,,,,, yet you are not good at doing them it would appear.... but if YOU believe you can REVERSE TRACK a ship with RDF on you... then YOU can.... 

yHKbBAr.gif

  • and I am not gonna argue with you.... I know better than to argue "facts" with someone that uses an OPINION....
Edited by neptunes_wrath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,882
[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, neptunes_wrath said:

you cannot do what you say you can do... then again you always seem to say you can do things,,,,, yet you are not good at doing them it would appear.... but if YOU believe you can REVERSE TRACK a ship with RDF on you... then YOU can.... 

yHKbBAr.gif

  • and I am not gonna argue with you.... I know better than to argue "facts" with someone that uses an OPINION....

Lol can’t figure out how I can track RDF equipped ship, so you assume I can’t actually do it either?

 

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
428 posts
7,900 battles
9 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Most CA's are 25 mm in the bow/stern. The only exception are the KM CA's (27mm).  All BB's are 32mm.

Just would like to point out that without IFHE you can't pen none of these, not even the cruisers with 25mm armor.

Now, I personally would stick to IFHE. I'm expecting a lot of clevelands this season, and it's good to be able to counter them with guns if I have to. RDF is one of those skills that is quite useful, but you don't really need it to know where the enemy might be if you're experienced enough in the game, while no amount of skill will make you pen more armor with HE.

On another note, experienced players can use your RDF against you, by knowing why they're being RDFed instead of their teammates, they can easily figure out the general direction where you're coming from.

On yet another note, with the buffs there are now a variety of good builds for Harekaze. Like, you can pick skills to improve your fire chance instead of IFHE, and still be able to fight enemy DDs, or improve things like your torpedo reload, taking Jack of All Trades or Superintendent for more utility. All viable options now that IFHE is no longer a must have.

But since I share my Akizuki captain with my Harekaze, I'll still use IFHE anyway to fight cruisers and BBs :fish_viking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
561
[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,241 battles
7 minutes ago, Captain_Benevolent_Fair said:

Just would like to point out that without IFHE you can't pen none of these, not even the cruisers with 25mm armor.

Nope, that changed in the current patch.

10 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Balance Changes

100 mm HE shell

  • The armor penetration capacity of Japanese 100 mm HE shells was increased from 17 mm to 25 mm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,073 posts
509 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol can’t figure out how I can track RDF equipped ship, so you assume I can’t actually do it either?

 

no.. you cant "TRACK" it.... but he tracks you... that is how RL (RPF) works.... there is no indicator telling you where he is, therefore you cannot track him,..., I have no idea what you are trying to convey but please, enlighten us all,,, we would LOVE to now the counter to the DD stealth counter that is RL (RPF)

 

Radio Location... also known as Radio Position FInder.... what does the D stand for???

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,882
[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

no.. you cant "TRACK" it.... but he tracks you... that is how RL (RPF) works.... there is no indicator telling you where he is, therefore you cannot track him,..., I have no idea what you are trying to convey but please, enlighten us all,,, we would LOVE to now the counter to the DD stealth counter that is RL (RPF)

 

Radio Location... also known as Radio Position FInder.... what does the D stand for???

If you drop RDF Alert and your friend picks up RDF Alert instead you can triangulate the RDF user. Simple math to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,073 posts
509 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you drop RDF Alert and your friend picks up RDF Alert instead you can triangulate the RDF user. Simple math to do that.

teSfsYdE.gif
Math??? show us the formula then....its hard to take this seriously when it doesn't make any sense......if THEY (team mates ) find a ship it does not mean its a ship with RPF just a close ship.... a ship with RPF could be three or more ships deep in their area....

please stop, it hurts to read your posts....

 

 

and WHAT DOES THE D STAND FOR?.... you should call it by its proper name, its like calling someone by the wrong name at a party all night long... its embarrassing

 

Radio Position Finder

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
428 posts
7,900 battles
11 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Nope, that changed in the current patch.

 

It changed, sure. But now these 100mm guns have a 1/4 HE pen, which means that they can pen up to 25mm of armor. Key word being "up to", rather than "up to and including", meaning that in reality you cannot pen 25mm of armor. Remember that for an HE shell to penetrate armor, it needs to beat that armor by at least 1mm, just matching the armor is not enough. You can test that yourself at any point by setting up a training room with a Cleveland bot and try to pen her bow with a 100mm IJN gun that doesn't have IFHE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,183
[CUTER]
Members
2,553 posts
11,431 battles

I prefer Kagero to Harekaze for ranked even with the pen buff.

It mostly comes down to HP.  Harekaze just does not have the HP to really shoot it out like an Akizuki can.  I'd rather have the improved Kagero torps, the faster rudder, and the extra HP.

ETA:  Regarding RPF in ranked, I often times dont put it on my super stealthy DDs.  The reason being I often times will just park in front of a cap with allies able to shoot into the cap and zone out all DD with higher concealment.  I dont need RPF to tell me where they are, they have to come to cap eventually.  I'd rather have the extra skills like BFT, or AR/EM/PM. 

 

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[TASH]
Members
1,771 posts
4,359 battles

 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:43 AM, neptunes_wrath said:

-snip-

I remember seeing this on Reddit

 

jlbd36hnbya11.png

pj3or1c6nza11.png

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
109 posts
7,397 battles
On 8/5/2018 at 9:43 AM, neptunes_wrath said:

and WHAT DOES THE D STAND FOR?.... you should call it by its proper name, its like calling someone by the wrong name at a party all night long... its embarrassing

 

Radio Position Finder

  • Radio direction finding, techniques used when searching for radio sources.  Not what it's called in-game, but a valid equivalent either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
561
[TOG]
Members
3,452 posts
18,241 battles

Took the Harekaze with RDF for a spin

shot-18_10.08_19_17.14-0350.thumb.jpg.e25f6398f9b02ff7ddae7e8c57d2390e.jpg

Assassin bote. Track down DD's, call for fire on them and then kill them off. Then solo/assist cap. I'm not going to be farming XP, but I'm going to help win games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×