You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sendit2me30

Shimakaze unique upgrade

26 comments in this topic

Members
265 posts

Just got that special 'Accelerated Torpedo Tube Reload' upgrade; and this, I may say, after a long and painful grind through the five stages of the personal mission. Well, I'll cut through the chase, it is useless. 

To say that I am extremely disappointed is an under statement.  On the up side, the reload  time of the torpedos improves and is now 103s for the 12 km torps (that is with the extra Commander skill). Which is an improvement of about 13 seconds. BUT - and hold on to something ! - the 180degree traverse speed went up from 7 seconds to a mind blowing 30 seconds!!! That is a 23 seconds penalty!!!   You can eat a pizza and have a few beers whilst you wait for that thing  to turn into the right position.  How can you cap with that??  How do you contest a cap with mediocre guns and NO torpedos....??! Well ok,  they might be ready and loaded but you will just not get them on target. You can only go after battleships and launch into smoke; that is it or c'est tout as the French would say (so they told me).

Anyone think this upgrade is any good?  I am seriously thinking of trashing it - got no doubloons so will need to sell and forget about it.

• Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
1,503 posts

Sadly yes, there are only a few that are worth getting . For the ships that i have only the Yamato, Zao and maybe the Minotaur are worth going after. 

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

Most of these legendary mods are sidegrades rather than upgrades. You have to give up something to get something.

There are maybe two or three mods that I plan on utilizing. The rest are situationally useful at best. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I believe montana was one that was considered usefull. But Im not grinding it once I get her. 

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
567 posts
14,128 battles
1 hour ago, sendit2me30 said:

Just got that special 'Accelerated Torpedo Tube Reload' upgrade; and this, I may say, after a long and painful grind through the five stages of the personal mission. Well, I'll cut through the chase, it is useless. 

To say that I am extremely disappointed is an under statement.  On the up side, the reload  time of the torpedos improves and is now 103s for the 12 km torps (that is with the extra Commander skill). Which is an improvement of about 13 seconds. BUT - and hold on to something ! - the 180degree traverse speed went up from 7 seconds to a mind blowing 30 seconds!!! That is a 23 seconds penalty!!!   You can eat a pizza and have a few beers whilst you wait for that thing  to turn into the right position.  How can you cap with that??  How do you contest a cap with mediocre guns and NO torpedos....??! Well ok,  they might be ready and loaded but you will just not get them on target. You can only go after battleships and launch into smoke; that is it or c'est tout as the French would say (so they told me).

Anyone think this upgrade is any good?  I am seriously thinking of trashing it - got no doubloons so will need to sell and forget about it.

You share my clan mates same disappointment.  We thought potentially it might be useful in clan battles, but found it was even less useful than random battles.  Seems such a shame to spend that much time grinding towards something that could be meh once in awhile.

Members
5 posts
4,950 battles

I understanding making the Torpedo Tube Reload be SLOWER, but did they really mean to make it take 5x longer?  I could understand 50% longer, but not 400% longer.

The tip says 80% longer.  But it is 5x (400%) longer.  Confirmed to not be a bug?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,770 posts
10,986 battles
2 hours ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

You share my clan mates same disappointment.  We thought potentially it might be useful in clan battles, but found it was even less useful than random battles.  Seems such a shame to spend that much time grinding towards something that could be meh once in awhile.

The mistake is grinding. Just play as you normally would and take it as a pleasant surprise and for this particular one leave it in your inventory and hopefully the negatives will be reduced down the road.

[TOG]
Members
3,453 posts
18,282 battles

There are legendary upgrades that are worth the grind. These are upgrades not side grades if your thinking about CB/Ranked:

1. Zao

2. Hindenburg

3. Yamato

Mino's upgrade is more suited for random. It wouldn't recommend it for Ranked/CB given he prevalence of Radar CA's.

Same thing for DM's upgrade. Giving up the 6th slot in return for being able to "sprint" 0-27 knots in 3 seconds. Useful in Random, if you're going with the island waifu meta.

Now the upgrade for for Henri IV looks interesting. couple that with the increased loader consumable you'd have a wicked reloading time.

Members
265 posts
1 hour ago, Smak_shed said:

I understanding making the Torpedo Tube Reload be SLOWER, but did they really mean to make it take 5x longer?  I could understand 50% longer, but not 400% longer.

The tip says 80% longer.  But it is 5x (400%) longer.  Confirmed to not be a bug?

That is what I thought as well. The standard time is 7 seconds  for 180 degrees turn (goes down to 6 seconds with Aiming System Modification). So - 80 % -  that will be almost double to 12-13 seconds; fair enough. I thought.

But it seems they calculate it differently. The tubes traverse at a rate of 25 degrees per second (standard); which means it takes 7.2 seconds for 180 degrees turn. With this upgrade this is reduced by 80 % - or you have 20 % of the original traverse speed left: 25 x 0.2  = 5. Which means 5 degrees per second; this comes down to a traverse time of 36 seconds for 180 degrees turn (that you can bring down to 30 seconds with Aiming System Modification).

Now how about that for a penalty..!

Beta Testers
1,940 posts
10,762 battles

The slow traverse makes it only useful when you spam 20km fish from afar. So just play like a BB. :)

[CUTER]
Members
2,560 posts
11,437 battles

One tip that might help you guys is you do have the ability to lock torps and guns to separate sides of the ship.  I often will lock them to one side of the ship during the last 30 seconds of the reload to prepare to launch.

This mod rewards pre planning.  Granted the way I play Shima, the mod is useless to me as I tend to fight at ranges where I need the traverse speed.  This mod is ultimately best on the 20km torp chucker builds, which I find amusing as WG wanted to move away from this play style for quite some time.

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles
On 8/5/2018 at 2:31 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

One tip that might help you guys is you do have the ability to lock torps and guns to separate sides of the ship.  I often will lock them to one side of the ship during the last 30 seconds of the reload to prepare to launch.

This mod rewards pre planning.  Granted the way I play Shima, the mod is useless to me as I tend to fight at ranges where I need the traverse speed.  This mod is ultimately best on the 20km torp chucker builds, which I find amusing as WG wanted to move away from this play style for quite some time.

If they wanted to move away from that play style, they should not have introduced radar, I used to use F3s before USN radar proliferation happened. WG and logic are antonyms...

Edited by Vaitmana

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 1:44 PM, Bill_Halsey said:

here are legendary upgrades that are worth the grind. These are upgrades not side grades if your thinking about CB/Ranked:

1. Zao

2. Hindenburg

3. Yamato

The Yamato upgrade makes it borderline OP with it penetration/overmatch mechanics.

[DIEBL]
Members
32 posts
5,127 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 10:37 AM, sendit2me30 said:

You are much too nice about the Accelerated Torpedo Tube Reload upgrade.  I would call it something salty, but I don't want to get banned from the Forums.  I have unmounted it and I am going to sell it if they don't fix it. Enjoy your 5 doubloons WG. Everyone should put in a support ticket. The documented traverse time is 7.2 seconds to move 180 degrees for a stock ship. The documented penalty of 80% should make the traverse time for 180 degrees 12.8 seconds. This must be a bug.

[AAA]
Members
642 posts
7,407 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, Bill_Halsey said:

There are legendary upgrades that are worth the grind. These are upgrades not side grades if your thinking about CB/Ranked:

1. Zao

2. Hindenburg

3. Yamato

Mino's upgrade is more suited for random. It wouldn't recommend it for Ranked/CB given he prevalence of Radar CA's.

Same thing for DM's upgrade. Giving up the 6th slot in return for being able to "sprint" 0-27 knots in 3 seconds. Useful in Random, if you're going with the island waifu meta.

Now the upgrade for for Henri IV looks interesting. couple that with the increased loader consumable you'd have a wicked reloading time.

Agree 100%

Montana might be ok. 

Henry has to lose steering 3. She has to fight at max range and wiggle. Giving that up could be brutal

Beta Testers
1,488 posts

Yamato's upgrade is merely an anti-nerf. That ship had its horizontal dispersion increased big time the day Musashi entered game. It was on purpose. This upgrade returns Yamato's accuracy to what it used to be... except you now have to pay for it by using up an upgrade slot.

Shima's upgrade is nonsense. Useless nonsense. Even for the garbage 20km torpedo. A poor increase to ROF on a weapon that is already extremely long reload...at the cost turning the torp tubes as slow as a non-EM Yamato (with the new upgrade installed).

They should have made the upgrade be about torpedo detection range. Something that when installed 'switched' the launchers 'wide/narrow' to be narrow only and the choices you have is 25% torpedo speed reduction (or whatever gets the 20km torp go down to 45kn speed) and the detect range reduced to 1km... which would make it the historical setting of the Long Lance for that range.

Beta Testers
1,247 posts
7,455 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Most of these legendary mods are sidegrades rather than upgrades. You have to give up something to get something.

There are maybe two or three mods that I plan on utilizing. The rest are situationally useful at best. 

While this is true, the benefits of certain mods, which in this case being Shimakaze, do not really come close to the worth of what you're giving up. This mod would never touch my Shima as you are likely to lose more use of your torpedoes than you would gain in reload, if you play on the front lines. This mod might be great for those flanking Shimas or 20km chuckers, though. Most of the time, you're just creating a self-imposed challenge for yourself by making your torpedo tubes feel like your turrets.

Yueyang is an even worse offender, that mod is disgustingly worthless.

I think it's more accurate to say that there are one or two straight "upgrades", a few being sidegrades, and the rest being worthless.

Members
46 posts
8,970 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 10:37 AM, sendit2me30 said:

Don’t sell legendary modules. Lots of people sold some of the original special modules (smoke generator, spotter plane, etc.) Then WG fixed them and made them all useful.

they will likely make changes to the legendary modules that prove to be unpopular.

Beta Testers
1,940 posts
10,762 battles
5 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

The Shima legendary upgrade sucks.........BUT......it can be VERY fun with the F3 torps. LOL

You get F3s ever 83 seconds. :)

For F3's short range, you need to swing the tubes a lot more between targets. I don't think that will work well with the super slow rotation speed. You play F3 up close and pick off targets of opportunities quickly. This mod pretty much makes it impossible.

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
6,468 battles
8 hours ago, chewonit said:

For F3's short range, you need to swing the tubes a lot more between targets. I don't think that will work well with the super slow rotation speed. You play F3 up close and pick off targets of opportunities quickly. This mod pretty much makes it impossible.

It's actually not too bad. Been using it the past week. First game was 9 F3 hits. You just turn your ship to help with the aiming. It takes a little getting used too but it works.

[WOLF1]
Members
8 posts
12,874 battles

30 seconds for a 180 deg traverse wow! this is awful! Unmounting asap :(   Wound up feeling completely helpless when I played my first match with them. Not only is the slow traverse "bad" it makes the ship borderline unplayable for me. It doesn't matter if it cut the reload time down to 5 seconds if you can't get the tubes to bear on target.

Edited by Fupduck

[-EGO-]
Beta Testers
21 posts
4,819 battles

How could they have possibly done something this lame? It takes months to grind one of these up. .  then you get it and find out you would NEVER even put it on. Hey thanks WoWs! I really can't believe how heavy the negatives are on these

legendary upgrades.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
2,560 posts
11,437 battles

Just dumped a few clan battles games running LU Shima.  The video has NSFW team comms, but you can see how I try to work around the slow traverse by adopting the same tactics I use on the guns to my torp tubes.  For those not aware you can [CTRL] + [X] torps to different angles than your guns.  Its common for me to lock the torps to what ever quarter of the ship I expect to launch torps from, and by doing this I leave my guns free to float on RPF to engage targets of opportunity, and when entering torp mode you unlock the tubes and it only takes a few seconds for the tubes to line up.

In short, by planning ahead I have F3 reload on 12km torps.  The build rewards patience and foresight.