You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

A good time to take a break...

9 comments in this topic

Members
614 posts
5,528 battles

My opinion on the state of the game at the moment is a bit bleak to be honest. It's my opinion, I respect others may have differences, and that's fine, but this is where I am at the moment.

I don't like driving my mid and high tier DDs anymore. Everything has radar now. I'm a gunboat DD kinda guy, so getting radar'd to death from a range outside of my gun range is very annoying. I can't get into torp range. I can't hide behind islands and ambush. I can only hide and I can cap and I can scout, and I can only hope my team can carry me long enough to make my three remaining roles have worth. I have increasingly little impact on the game.

There's no point in grinding my CV's anymore. AA has been uber nasty on increasing numbers of ships, and the touted changes to the CV gameplay make further developing skill in the current gameplay a bit useless. Regularly being 1-2 tiers down doesn't help either. Throw the OP Premium CVs into the mix, and I find it an unhealthy environment to be playing in.

I'll admit that I don't have a lot of experience in cruisers, but when I play them there never seem to be any dd's to hunt, and I'm citadel fodder of the BBs on the enemy team.

I have reasonable success playing BB, but I find them boring and slow. It seems to be a game that favours heavily the BB player now. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't BBs that were given access to radar rather than cruisers.

What's kept me going during the last few months was the last season of ranked, and the Indianapolis mission. I hit rank 5 with pretty good success with my Russian DDs, and the Indianapolis mission encouraged me to stretch my legs in some lesser played boats. Those happy times are over for now.

August has nothing to interest me. Discounts on items that I don't need, consumables that I don't use, and flags that I don't tend to use outside of Ranked. 5,000 free xp isn't a lot over the course of a month. Daily Challenges pay out in Coal which I don't find that useful to be honest. 1 day of premium time is a pittance.

Even the forum staff seem to be less enthused. We haven't had a new WG run contest in the contest forum since Jan or Feb, while last year they were happening once or twice a month.

I played WOWS because it was fun and because I enjoyed the challenge of achievements with tangible results. I'm not asking for free premiums, possibly I've been spoiled by the sheer amount of earnable premium ships like Indy, ARP ships, Southern Dragon etc. Still, I feel I need something more than what's currently on offer to balance out my (in my opinion only I stress) problems with the state of the game at the moment.

I'm thinking of taking August off, going cold turkey, to recharge my batteries and hopefully, come September, be back with renewed enthusiasm for the game.

I'd like to wish WG all the best for their 20th Anniversary.

Fish.

• Cool 4

[-BRS-]
Members
2,626 posts
16,059 battles

You got a lot of good points

I think a lot of people feel the same way

Good luck with your break hope to see you again:Smile_honoring:

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,470 posts
15,393 battles

Nothing wrong with taking a break. I have found that while getting frustrated numerous times, changing my focus within the game, helps keep things fresh. Losing streak..play some co op, grind another line, try to play cv's.. I can't quit, to financially tied to this game. Like ordering 100 chicken wings..I know they aren't good for me but I paid for them...so I continue to eat...

Members
614 posts
5,528 battles

I'd like to make a followup point that, for the most part, one of the enjoyable parts of the game is interacting with other players. On the forums I've found the far majority of you guys to be intelligent, good humored and rational. The same goes in the game. I believe toxicity among the players is a minority, and tends to stand out because for the most part people get on get on with each other.

One of my strongest reasons for wanting to come back is the community around this game.

• Cool 1

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

You bring up alot of good points. I've played several MMOs, a couple I've rage quit and won't be back. Another the community changed to the point I just couldn't maintain interest.

I've mostly played solo in WoWS. My friend in here is only a part timer. I am relatively new to the game so everything seems fresh. My DDs are not at the point of seeing radar all over the place. But at some point due to work season starting up again I'll be forced to take time off. So there will be my break to recharge my interest. That and the forum and youtube videos. 

I wish you luck and god speed. Hope to see you out there when you return.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

If you are burned out you should take a break.  I spent over a year away from the game you don't really lose it but it will take a hundred games or so to get back to the same level of performance less so for a month obviously.  I would suggest you do try to learn cruisers though because they are definitely in the best spot they have probably ever been (at least tier 7+ the mid tier ones are kinda hit and miss).  I used to enjoy BB and DD only with a cruiser game now and then.  Now I play cruisers and DDs.  I don't have much interest in BBs but I enjoy playing them occasionally. 

Edited by mrh308

Beta Testers
1,267 posts
15,407 battles
25 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

I don't like driving my mid and high tier DDs anymore. Everything has radar now. I'm a gunboat DD kinda guy, so getting radar'd to death from a range outside of my gun range is very annoying. I can't get into torp range. I can't hide behind islands and ambush. I can only hide and I can cap and I can scout, and I can only hope my team can carry me long enough to make my three remaining roles have worth. I have increasingly little impact on the game.

It's really too bad that you feel this way, yes there is an abundance of radar in the game now but as DD players we need to do all we can to mitigate the effect on our play. Knowing which ships have radar and their ranges is only half the battle because inevitably we all get caught. I view it as a challenge ...... staying just inside the detection range till they pop then scooting out, baiting them as much as possible, it doesn't always work but when it does I do derive a certain amount of satisfaction from beating the dreaded radar!

30 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

I have reasonable success playing BB, but I find them boring and slow. It seems to be a game that favours heavily the BB player now. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't BBs that were given access to radar rather than cruisers.

My fav BB these days is the Republique, it is fast like a Cruiser, Cits Yammies and reloads in as little as 16 sec. For me it plays like a large Cruiser. Maybe the French line would interest you?

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
9,061 battles

Higher tiers have turned into nothing but cruisers lofting HE behind islands because they get erased if exposed and DDs staying a zip code away from cruisers because of gaydar and unable to do their job. Dont blame the OP for needing a break.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
109 posts
7,420 battles

Ok wary of taking another break because the last break was just short of two years.  Not sure if this game will still be viable on another two years.