You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mrieder79

Is musashi worth all my coal and steel?

37 comments in this topic

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I'm close to having enough coal for musashi if I cash in all my steel. Is this ship worth it?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,976 posts
10,955 battles

Can't be sure, She's basically a tier X ship if there isn't a CV on the map, or you don't have a Des Moines hugging your side to farm aircraft kills. While she doesn't print credits like Missouri, she doesn't do bad by any measure. Oh, you get to shoot 460mm lol-pen shells at tier 7 ships, which can be evil.

Alpha Tester
165 posts
6,600 battles

Although certainly no expert - I've enjoyed the 300+ games I've had in mine. It can dish it and take it.

I believe it's worth it.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,003 posts
4,600 battles

If you take part in the Go Navy Event and get mostly the resources containers, you may be able to get enough coal without having to use your steel.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
26 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

I'm close to having enough coal for musashi if I cash in all my steel. Is this ship worth it?

I'd watch the Flamu video about it, the gist is, do you already have a Yamato? If yes, then no. I didn't, I bought one with FXP, it's pretty good. It's not as good a credit earner as MO; nothing is. I have a Kii with the Kobayashi camo and it's probably a better credit earner too. It depends on your goals. When the dispersion RNG is with you you can 1 shot a cruiser across the map, when it's not you can't hit crapor you can but you get nothing but over pens and some how even shatters.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles

Second best moneymaker in the game, a tier 10 masquerading as tier 9, overperforming every other T9 BB to a decent margin, including Missouri.

Musashi is OP.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,426 posts
7,354 battles

In terms of combat efficiency the Musashi is a ridiculously powerful ship. She has armor that is a middle finger against enemy AP shells, guns that are a middle finger against armor and her Stealth and Speed are still usable. The absence of AA is a weakness, but then again Yamato‘s AA won‘t save you from air strikes either

[NDA]
Supertester
5,186 posts
15,384 battles

If I could trade the Musashi in my port for its coal value I would. Not that its a bad ship if you like playing a slow moving bow in death dealer who doesn't have good AA or secondaries. I have the Missouri and enjoy playing it more than the Musashi. But I understand not everyone had the chance to get the best premium T9 Battleship. 

I did learn my lesson though and didn't buy that Russian premium battleship masquerading as a Cruiser. 

[BS]
Members
1,444 posts
7,801 battles

Look at the top player stats in that ship on wow-numbers... would a crappy ship allow a 150k avg damage and a 70% winrate?

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,461 posts
15,374 battles
18 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Look at the top player stats in that ship on wow-numbers... would a crappy ship allow a 150k avg damage and a 70% winrate?

Skill trumps a bad ship. I am not saying its bad. ( it is) Very good players can make any ship shine. Statistics are deceiving, does that player have all games solo, or a three man division with Unicom players..

As for the Musashi, I found a screenshot of myself playing the Musashi that describes its playstyle perfectly. get behind an island and wait.....cause you have no AA, no secondary's, slow as molasses and you have to protect your sides at all costs. 

Image result for toad

Members
1,808 posts
11,403 battles
2 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Here's my take on this. If you play enough battles each day, the missions and crates along with Go Navy event can produce a very generous amount of coal. With the 25% coupon applied, the Musashi is 132,000 coal.

I'm already at 60k coal and by the end of Go Navy I'll be much closer to 100k. If I continue to hoard my coal it won't be long before I can trade it for a Musashi. As far as I'm concerned it's a free T9 Premium BB. Who can complain about that?  It also means that I don't have to use my free XP to buy her and I can continue to save up and perhaps Missouri will become available down the road.

In my opinion there's no real downside if you buy it with coal. Remember kids, hoard your coal, don't go spending it on flags. 

Kirk out

Edited by STINKWEED_

[LEGIT]
Members
1,725 posts
24,916 battles

Well....With the legendary upgrade now available for the Yamato, I'm not so sure.  I've got the Missouri, Musashi and Nelson.  I just don't play the Musashi now as much since I got the legendary upgrade on the Yammy.

Alpha Tester
399 posts
9,781 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

Have read and heard the phrase "in the hands of a good captain", or something similar , about several boats. Folks should pay attention to that.

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,449 posts
6,627 battles

The Musahi herself is on the OP side....but I don't think it's worth spending coal or steel on...at least just yet.  I'd wait until we find out what WG is going to do with the Alaska before spending anything.

[NUWES]
Members
2,189 posts
6,899 battles
3 minutes ago, yashma said:

The Musahi herself is on the OP side....but I don't think it's worth spending coal or steel on...at least just yet.  I'd wait until we find out what WG is going to do with the Alaska before spending anything.

^I second this. Although I would add that the answer may change depending on how difficult it is to get steel for you. I can't get steel easily so I would never spend it on a ship that I can get with any other easier-to-access resource, such as cash or FXP. Also, in the current meta T9 isn't useful for anything special to give a reason to get Musashi right now instead of just building FXP (or converting it). Without knowing anything more about the OP, I would never spend steel on Musashi. Even coal is a maybe at best. I would just build FXP (or convert it if you want it now) and get it. 

Members
508 posts
22,222 battles
5 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

If I could trade the Musashi in my port for its coal value I would. Not that its a bad ship if you like playing a slow moving bow in death dealer who doesn't have good AA or secondaries. I have the Missouri and enjoy playing it more than the Musashi. But I understand not everyone had the chance to get the best premium T9 Battleship. 

I did learn my lesson though and didn't buy that Russian premium battleship masquerading as a Cruiser. 

Correction - Her secondaries are better than Yamato, and before the KM Battleships Yamato was the 2ndary king.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,765 posts
18,135 battles

It's a Yamato-class nerfed in unimportant ways to make it fit into Tier IX.  People will tout that Musashi "has worse Sigma than Yamato!!!111111231!"

How is slightly worse Sigma than the most accurate Battleship in the game a hit against Musashi?  Her gunnery is more reliable than most BBs in this game that isn't Yamato herself, and she still has 460mm Power.

Tier X Firepower with IJN 460mm.

Tier X Armor.

Tier X HP.

Your AA is Tier VI BB levels.

All in a Tier IX BB.

And it is the Tier IX BB who's guns actually make other BBs respect her by virtue of them being 460mm.  Montana?  LOL!  Who gives a sh*t!  Overmatch her and citadel her through the bow!  Nelson!  LOL!  Just citadel her at any angle!  It is a Tier IX that scales perfectly for Tier X matches... Because she really is a godd*mn Tier X!

You're playing your Yamato, Montana, or whatever.  You can tank very well the shots from most other BBs except from IJN 460.  Yamato can very capably tank against the others and dish out powerful Overmatching 460mm AP salvos.  But it has to respect Tier IX Musashi because she packs the very same guns Yamato herself does, and will punch Yamato right through the godd*mn bow just like it would against Montana.

Musashi must be respected.

And WG thought it a good idea to put a it in Tier IX where Tier VII ships will encounter her.

Musashi has no business being in Tier IX.  Personally I would have preferred her being a Tier X with killer Secondary Option than Yamato, in full Tier X glory.  Yamato could represent the Late War Refit with AA emphasis while Musashi representing the class before that refit with a Secondaries focus.  But that ship has sailed long ago now.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

Musashi's lack of AA isn't as noticeable as the lack of AA on ships like Nelson, because the armor just shrugs off bombs and air torpedoes.

Like, if your AA is going to get stripped off with RNBBHE, then the only thing that will save you from a CV is armor and Musashi has that.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,852 posts
7,254 battles

The first question is do you like Yamato style play? If the answer is yes then totally. Musashi is taking everything good about the Yammy & moving it down 1 tier. You basically get an extra T10 ship on your team if the enemy doesn't also have one. She can literally 1v1 a Yamato & stall T10 BBs in their tracks, what other T9 BB can do that? (assuming both are of similar skill)

Edited by GoldPile

[WOLF3]
Members
19,765 posts
18,135 battles
10 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Musashi's lack of AA isn't as noticeable as the lack of AA on ships like Nelson, because the armor just shrugs off bombs and air torpedoes.

Like, if your AA is going to get stripped off with RNBBHE, then the only thing that will save you from a CV is armor and Musashi has that.

TDS is no joke.  I was playing last night and a friendly Z-23 was able to ambush around an island an Amagi, which also has amazing TDS.  Z-23 dropped torps and Amagi survived, killing the Z-23 in retaliation with secondaries.  Z-23 was on team chat complaining that practically all his torps hit and didn't sink Amagi.  Several of us said she has insane TDS to tank such damage from torps.  It didn't surprise me. 

You are correct also in the ability of the high TDS ships to withstand torpedo bomber attack.  Torps from CV torpedo bombers don't scale with the tiers past a certain tier.  I think it's somewhere at mid tiers but cannot right now remember which tier.  So high TDS BBs get more and more valuable.  Not saying Yamato-class, SD-class, Amagi can outright ignore the threat of bombers, but they can take the hits a lot better than most.  GK gets slammed by torp bombers as her TDS isn't all that.  Conqueror suffers the most from torp bombers with her mediocre TDS and low HP pool.

4 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

The first question is do you like Yamato style play? If the answer is yes then totally. Musashi is taking everything good about the Yammy & moving it down 1 tier. You basically get an extra T10 ship on your team if the enemy doesn't also have one. She can literally 1v1 a Yamato & stall T10 BBs in their tracks, what other T9 BB can do that? (assuming both are of similar skill)

^^ Very much this also.  Yamato-class is the most "static" of the Tier IX-X BBs.  It's not mostly due to the handling, because all BBs those tiers sail like sh*t.  It's the turret traverse.  You have to be very forward thinking to start swinging guns to where you need them before you need them.  But if you are a BB player that finds itself swinging guns from one side to the other in rapidly changing situations, Yamato-class is not the best choice.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles

I had Musashi before Yamato so like it and play it more than Yamato. Yamato is going to be played more from now on though since it has a 19 pt commander

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,856 posts
21,359 battles

Besides the Salem the second best choice for coal. At least for me, I have her already. So my coal will go to the Salem. 

I have the Yamato with the free HSF camo so I rather play her. From the point of a IJN trainer: the best choice. Just hope there are no carriers around.