Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Sims question?

10 comments in this topic

Members
339 posts
7,073 battles

Just got the combat mission to get the sims from a crate. I don't play DD's so my question is if she's worth keeping in my port as just a port queen? It may be a long time till I try out dd's as there play style doesn't suite me at all. TIA

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
576 posts
6,930 battles

Is worth keeping, is good little gunboat DD

edit : never ever sell premium ship

Edited by LadyAnesjka
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,777 posts
18,185 battles

Sims is a very good knife fighter and DD gunboat in the USN style.  The torps are very weak but you can use them in some creative ways.  The long range ones are cool for sending them ahead of an expected fight against another DD.  The torps are so slow that you can sort of follow behind them.  The other DD then sees torps he has to evade while you pepper them with your guns.  Don't give up on the long ranged Sims "Slowpedoes."  You'd be surprised with hits you get with these horrible torpedoes.  Damage values suck real bad but think of them more as a means to stick floods.  However, if they somehow hit a DD, it'll hurt them bad still.

Worst thing about her is the concealment, which is typical garbage USN DD detection ranges for Tier VI-VII.  She's extremely good against DDs same or lower tier than her.  But if up against the VIII DDs that easily outspot her, i.e. 6.8km detection Sims / Mahan vs 5.8km detection Benson, Lo Yang than they have the initiative against you and will take first action.  However, once it comes down to a knife fight, Sims can hang with them for a good while.

If I could change one thing with Sims, it'd be her concealment.

Also, if there ever is a VII Ranked Season again, Sims is notorious for her XP bonus to help save her star on a loss.  There has been lots of drama over that in the past.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,429 posts
7,380 battles

I suggest you keep her, even if you end up never playing her.

Imagine you sell her, and a week or two later you receive a Supercontainer. You open it, see it‘s a ship. Is it a Payfast? A Kutuzow? Maybe the Nikolai? Nope, a Sims. At that point you are going to bite into your keyboard.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,535 posts
12,103 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Just got the combat mission to get the sims from a crate. I don't play DD's so my question is if she's worth keeping in my port as just a port queen? It may be a long time till I try out dd's as there play style doesn't suite me at all. TIA

Yes, she is worth keeping, for the reasons both @HazeGrayUnderway and @SireneRacker have outlined below.  Both of them get a +1 from me. 

56 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sims is a very good knife fighter and DD gunboat in the USN style.  The torps are very weak but you can use them in some creative ways.  The long range ones are cool for sending them ahead of an expected fight against another DD.  The torps are so slow that you can sort of follow behind them.  The other DD then sees torps he has to evade while you pepper them with your guns.  Don't give up on the long ranged Sims "Slowpedoes."  You'd be surprised with hits you get with these horrible torpedoes.  Damage values suck real bad but think of them more as a means to stick floods.  However, if they somehow hit a DD, it'll hurt them bad still.

Worst thing about her is the concealment, which is typical garbage USN DD detection ranges for Tier VI-VII.  She's extremely good against DDs same or lower tier than her.  But if up against the VIII DDs that easily outspot her, i.e. 6.8km detection Sims / Mahan vs 5.8km detection Benson, Lo Yang than they have the initiative against you and will take first action.  However, once it comes down to a knife fight, Sims can hang with them for a good while.

If I could change one thing with Sims, it'd be her concealment.

Also, if there ever is a VII Ranked Season again, Sims is notorious for her XP bonus to help save her star on a loss.  There has been lots of drama over that in the past.

I've been using the shorter ranged/faster torps with some success... not sure if I'll stick with them though.

25 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I suggest you keep her, even if you end up never playing her.

Imagine you sell her, and a week or two later you receive a Supercontainer. You open it, see it‘s a ship. Is it a Payfast? A Kutuzow? Maybe the Nikolai? Nope, a Sims. At that point you are going to bite into your keyboard.

This is really important - never, ever, sell a premium ship. 

/thread

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,796 battles
2 hours ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Is worth keeping, is good little gunboat DD

edit : never ever sell premium ship

^^^^^ This^^^^^

Its a great tier VII premium, if you ever get into DDs it will be a great addition. I didn't like it at first either but she grew on me.

Not to mention that it gets increased XP bonuses, a great ship for training captains and holding stars in ranked. (if its ever tier VII again)

[4HIM]
Members
2,299 posts
6,910 battles

I truly suck at DD play.  But I'd definitely keep her.  I am slowly trying to learn DD play as it's more fun and faster paced than BB or cruiser play.  But also FAR more unforgiving of poor positioning.  The fast firing guns plus the god tier turret traverse make this a fun dakka dakka boat.  Neither of the choices for torps are very good.  If you don't have CE on the captain, use the sea mines so you don't have to close to 2 or 3km inside your detection to fire them.  Use them more as 'area denial' torps.  You'll get blind hits with them far more than against any ship you intentionally target.  Load up all the smoke you can (premium smoke + SI captain skill) and fire from smoke to get damage.  The guns do take some getting used to as the shells are the magnum opus of 'floaty' shells.  

[INTEL]
Members
1,342 posts
11,238 battles

Sims is in my top three favorite ships in game. 

Wicked fast 2.7 sec rudder shift without the rudder shift module!

3 sec gun reload with BFT 

Possibly the longest gun range of any DD at 15.5km with AFT. This can be a downside when she needs to get undetected but hilarious when shooting island hugging cruisers/ bow tanking BBs.

With a full AA build she can be a nightmare for a CV. I love keeping my AA guns off till detected. Then pop DFAA and watch the planes die. Spotter plane? What spotter plane? :cap_rambo:

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,470 posts
15,393 battles

The Sims is the best XP gainer in the game. The Sims is to XP as the Mighty Mo is to credits. Get ten k of damage, a solo cap and 5 defender badges and you will be on the top of the xp board every game. many played the Sims in ranked mainly to save their star if their team lost as they knew they would almost always be first on the losing team.

it's a great boat... a little tough guy ….and to me it's my little...

Image result for chicken hawk

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this