Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Retnav54

WG, Please Address Security/Data Concerns With WGC

23 comments in this topic

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts
8,792 battles

As I have stated in two other threads on the WGC topic, my main concern with this new launcher boils down to concern for the security of my personal data, and the security of my computer and internet access, based on the posts of other members of the community in the main thread on this topic.

One poster related his experience with using the WGC with WoWP. He stated that upon running a tracer routing, it was discovered that the WGC was sending data to a marketing firm in the Ukraine, listing the IP address and name of the company, ostensibly not connected with WG, and about which little to no info was available.

I'll ask this straight up - will the WGC, in the form you plan to implement, be used to send data to third parties? If so, for what reason, what type of data, and to whom? And, would we be up front given the option of NOT having our data shared with these third parties?

Other posters have reported issues with WGC conflicting with antivirus/security software on their computer or with their ISP, one poster reporting that when WGC launched, his ISP apparently shut down his internet access for a time, interpreting WGC as an attempted DDOS event. Have these issues been investigated and/or addressed? If only certain antivirus/security software causes conflicts with WGC, could you identify which programs and any possible solutions? Will WGC require exceptions or reducing the security levels of firewall/antivirus/security software to even be able to function?

My hope would be that you address these concerns in a proactive manner, well BEFORE the WGC is implemented. If not, if we are left to our own devices to discover what is occurring after the fact, then quite frankly, as I have stated elsewhere, I will not risk the security of my personal information or that of any family member, or the security and reliability of my home computer, for the sake of playing an online game, and regrettably would have to end my association with WG.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1

Members
506 posts

While I agree that WG being above board with some of the security questions would be in the interest of the community, I am curious as to what any response they would make would have on those who believe that the Ukraine issue makes WG untrustworthy. They could say that they fixed the routing (which we could all verify) or that routing traffic to some random Ukrainian IP was harmless, but being a Russian company already had them behind the eight ball.

More broadly, it's unclear as to whether they consider speculation about what they are doing with private data to be a nothing burger, or if they are legitimately concerned but don't know what to do. 

To add fuel to the privacy concerns bonfire, consider how many deals they've had with different payment systems (Visa, PayPal) in the last year. 

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts
8,792 battles

You do have a point, that there are those in the community, no matter the response, that will never trust WG further than they could throw the IRL North Carolina. But I'm hopeful that most in this community are somewhat reasonable adults, and that a reasonable response from WG would help to quiet down some of the controversy. Myself, I'd accept a reasonable response at face value for the time being, and judge by subsequent developments whether or not that trust was misplaced.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,886 posts
4,499 battles
48 minutes ago, Retnav54 said:

You do have a point, that there are those in the community, no matter the response, that will never trust WG further than they could throw the IRL North Carolina. But I'm hopeful that most in this community are somewhat reasonable adults, and that a reasonable response from WG would help to quiet down some of the controversy. Myself, I'd accept a reasonable response at face value for the time being, and judge by subsequent developments whether or not that trust was misplaced.

I'm sure they'll hopefully address that just to assuage fears.

To be blunt though, almost all Internet-use businesses use customer information to siphon demographics and trends.  This can range from what shows you watch, how you interact with others online, and what you buy through shopping.

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

Seriously? If WG wants your personal information they already have it. You freely give them an email, your IP and you credit card information. WG doesn't need a new launcher, they have your information, they know when you play, how much you play and what you buy and how much you spend. If you think your information has been safe and secure up till now you are already fooling yourself!

[5D]
Members
2,710 posts
16,222 battles

Since you've made this comment in multiple threads and started one of your own I must ask if you've reviewed their privacy policy?

Basing it on something someone posted in a forum isn't enough to make it legitimate. Companies use third party vendors all over the world. You'd be surprised where your data gets sent if you could trace it every instance.

So is there a gap in their privacy policy that is driving this issue?

Members
645 posts
1 hour ago, Retnav54 said:

As I have stated in two other threads on the WGC topic, my main concern with this new launcher boils down to concern for the security of my personal data, and the security of my computer and internet access, based on the posts of other members of the community in the main thread on this topic.

One poster related his experience with using the WGC with WoWP. He stated that upon running a tracer routing, it was discovered that the WGC was sending data to a marketing firm in the Ukraine, listing the IP address and name of the company, ostensibly not connected with WG, and about which little to no info was available.

I'll ask this straight up - will the WGC, in the form you plan to implement, be used to send data to third parties? If so, for what reason, what type of data, and to whom? And, would we be up front given the option of NOT having our data shared with these third parties?

Other posters have reported issues with WGC conflicting with antivirus/security software on their computer or with their ISP, one poster reporting that when WGC launched, his ISP apparently shut down his internet access for a time, interpreting WGC as an attempted DDOS event. Have these issues been investigated and/or addressed? If only certain antivirus/security software causes conflicts with WGC, could you identify which programs and any possible solutions? Will WGC require exceptions or reducing the security levels of firewall/antivirus/security software to even be able to function?

My hope would be that you address these concerns in a proactive manner, well BEFORE the WGC is implemented. If not, if we are left to our own devices to discover what is occurring after the fact, then quite frankly, as I have stated elsewhere, I will not risk the security of my personal information or that of any family member, or the security and reliability of my home computer, for the sake of playing an online game, and regrettably would have to end my association with WG.

Ditto

A Response to this Threat on Security needs to be answered.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,706 posts
3,833 battles

To be very honest it wasn’t just one outgoing connections but a few that I saw. The program was marked as malware by my antivirus as well. When you tried to uninstall it kept acting like a pop up ad and wouldn’t go away. After the experience I had with the Wgc I am firmly against it and will support a steam migration. I did submit big reports and I never got a response ever. I think people are not realizing how much raw data is sent through this new launcher. I have never seen steam ever do this. Bottom line I don’t trust it at all.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
3,981 posts
2,408 battles

I would like to know the answer to these questions as well.  If WG is going to send data straight from our computers to any third party company we have a right to know.  I'm not suggesting WG has any malicious plans for WGC, I'm interested in transparency.  That's all.  With information we can all make the decision that right for us.

@Radar_X   

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Agreed, I upvoted you, but, it wouldn't hurt to follow up with a ticket. WG doesn't give a solid crapabout their own forums and does not listen to [edited] all that's posted here.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,707 posts
2,648 battles
3 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

There is nothing the WGC can do that the game client can't do just as well. 

The WGC may be bloatware, but it's not a virus

I wonder how many people have paid WG by credit card under the old system are concerned about the new one.

• Cool 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

A Response to this Threat on Security needs to be answered.

Ditto. WG, don't even delude yourselves for a instant that a significant portion of the playerbase are going to blindly trust you. You need to prove that there is no security risk.

Members
1,098 posts
7,028 battles

You have more of a chance of spyware, viruses and other stuff happening just browsing the web than you do from the WGC. If there is any type of scanning going on it may be for cheats which almost every gaming company has in their launchers now. 

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,123 posts
4,200 battles

"What about my personal data? Are you going to spy on me with Wargaming.net Game Center ?

No. Both legacy launcher and Wargaming.net Game Center can ONLY anonymously gather your basic system specs. These specs cannot be associated with you, and we don't need it. What we need is the stats on our playerbase PC configs, so we can provide better QA, support and technical evolution of our games. That's it."

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9406t4/psa_about_wargamingnet_game_center/

[RKLES]
Members
8,959 posts
10,828 battles
4 minutes ago, Shadow_NA said:

You have more of a chance of spyware, viruses and other stuff happening just browsing the web than you do from the WGC. If there is any type of scanning going on it may be for cheats which almost every gaming company has in their launchers now. 

Except for the fact Wargaming is Russian company, you know the place that is major hub for viruses and Dark Web activity. So it never hurts to be careful, and honestly I have had my concerns as well.

[CYPHR]
[CYPHR]
Members
131 posts
9,357 battles

as for persenal info

your ip is known to all that u conect with its no biggy

the e-mail is shared by all partys a exsample u buy at amazon and from tine to time they sell there client list of e-mail to 3dr partys

as for your credit card  if u use a 3rd party like pay-pal no info is getting out to the site you buy from

my main point vs the WGC is that i have no choice to not have it run in the background when my game has loaded and the adds for other WG games i have no interest in playing

Edited by thepigeonmaster

[NMKJT]
Members
3,697 posts
10 minutes ago, thepigeonmaster said:

my main point vs the WGC is that i have no choice to not have it run in the background when my game has loaded and the adds for other WG games i have no interest in playing

I loaded the new launcher. I can still run the game off the executables pinned on my task bar. So I'm good with it. It's not in my tray when playing.

As far as ads for games you have no interest in, if you don't download the games, they won't have a tab, and you won't get ads for them

Beta Testers
1,706 posts
3,833 battles

I am going to leave ichase’s video here on how to log into steam using your Wargaming account. I believe in choice for the consumer and Wargaming is taking that away by making us move into a client that acts like malware. As I said previously it would be a good idea to make videos similar to this or to download this and reupload just in case the wgc goes through.

I usually don’t approve of downloading youtube videos myself, but with this affecting everyone it is necessary to do so. I support Ichasegaming and his content fully so I ask that you don’t monetize the video should you download and reupload it.

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
5 hours ago, Retnav54 said:

If you dont wanna worry aboutthe game center run warships through steam.

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

If your worry is the tiny amount of resources it uses in the back ground, then you need to stop playing now and save your money to buy a computer that's not trash

Sign in to follow this