You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gramzon_the_Dragon

Seeking Advice on Various Captain Builds

6 comments in this topic

Members
160 posts
2,036 battles

Hey all, I play the game in cycles usually, playing a lot here and there then taking months-long breaks. I often come back and start to question my old captain builds and how optimized they are as I build them. for context, I try to set them up for success when they get to high tier eventually, and move them up with the ships as I research. Low and mid tier ships tend to get a lower point dedicated captain. I often aim for hybrids between what I gather is the line's style and more conservative builds such as trying to mix a german BB secondary build with a little survival for the fires, and adding AFT to my USN BBs and CAs after concealment to get some more time to engage planes.

Lines I need advice on (pretty much most of them):

Japanese heavy cruisers, battleships and main (shimakaze) destroyer line

German battleships and cruisers

USA battleships, destroyers and light cruisers (ideally a light cruiser captain that can also do some work on atlanta for retraining), i should have heavy cruisers handled

Russian destroyers and cruisers (doesn't the CL build drop IFHE when getting the tier 10?)

French Cruisers

Any link to handy builds that works is also appreciated, shipcomrade's calculator seems to glitch out and make seeing the builds for various ships impossible for me.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,270 battles
  • Fubuki/Asashio
    • 1-PT
    • 1-IFA
    • 1-PM
    • 2-LS
    • 2-SSE
    • 2-EM
    • 3-BFT
    • 3-TAE
    • 4-ET
  • HSF Harekaze/Shimakaze
    • 1-PT
    • 1-IFA
    • 1-PM
    • 2-LS
    • 2-SSE
    • 2-Jack
    • 3-TAE
    • 3-V
    • 4-CE

Overall mine are both similar. Fubuki needs BFT and EM since her turrets are slow. HSF Harekaze/Shimakaze does not need those skills since their turrets are fine. Otherwise you can either copy other people's builds or you can make yours unique to yourself and your play style. (My Ryujo has Last Stand)

Edited by Vangm94

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
207 posts
12,030 battles

Have you looked at the Wiki? Each ship in the game has a page in the wiki that includes a table of all the captain skills by tier and which ones are recommended for that ship. There’s also sometimes alternatives depending on going with different ship builds. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,999 posts
11,304 battles

Flamu on youtube is my go too starting point for all captain builds.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,380 posts
3,052 battles

[For battleships]

German bbs are obviously secondary builds... aft, manual fire, and ifhe/bft if you are all in (ifhe only on GK and gniessau). 

Almost all BBs should take superintendent. Required for everything tier 8 and up. Only time to not take bft is when you are doing 'fun' builds that you know aren't the best, but are fun af

Us and British battleships have fantastic concealment. CE is a good pick for them, as with most bbs