You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

The frustration when CVs won't attack my BB

43 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,625 posts
14,879 battles

Two games last night.  One with my QE.  One with my Lyon.  Both loaded for Air Bear.  In both games (both with CVs) not one (I'm not exaggerating) CV plane ever came within 7km of either one of my ships for the ENTIRE game.  I'm even up there in the mix kinda by myself...no CA or friendly air protection...trolling for a carrier strike.  Pretending I'm a noob BB captain all alone..ripe for a strike.  Nothing...nada...zilch.

Sigh...I so miss the days CV captains would try to attack slow lumbering BB beasts sailing out by their lonesome. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

Members
3,043 posts
4,322 battles
6 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Two games last night.  One with my QE.  One with my Lyon.  Both loaded for Air Bear.  In both games (both with CVs) not one (I'm not exaggerating) CV plane ever came within 7km of either one of my ships for the ENTIRE game.  I'm even up there in the mix kinda by myself...no CA or friendly air protection...trolling for a carrier strike.  Pretending I'm a noob BB captain all alone..ripe for a strike.  Nothing...nada...zilch.

Sigh...I so miss the days CV captains would try to attack slow lumbering BB beasts sailing out by their lonesome. 

Any CV player worth anything checks the AA ratings at the start of a match.

My personal favorite it sinking Clevelands that didn't buff their AA. 

[HINON]
Members
10,787 posts
7 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

^This

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,914 posts
8,282 battles

press P, then I'll be sure to attack. To be certain I will attack you, yolo down B, with an IJN or KM bb, preferably Musashi/

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles
40 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

All I need to know is avoid USN Cruisers and BBs.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
328 posts
6,250 battles

I was in my Alabama and had a enterprise go after me on three or four occasions in a game. He lost some 30+ planes to my AA gunners, I was hoping for one more go so I could get that AA defense expert award

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,083 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

us CV capt know which ship to avoid. lol ^_^ ...yeah. a lone BB all by her self...looks Fishy...probably a trap or a decoy. to draw away my planes away from where everyone is....lol just sail with the pack...you'll get more planes that way.  planes may not target you...but you would be in AA range.  

well don't feel to  bad.  no CV would come after me when im in Atlanta or Cleveland. :( and i want planes...! if playing co-op...even the BOTS ignore me :( 

[STW-M]
Members
3,093 posts
7,325 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I'm even up there in the mix kinda by myself...no CA or friendly air protection...trolling for a carrier strike.

The trick is to sail something that isn't known for its AA, and to play at the proper tier, where players are potato enough to not check AA specs before a battle (something I tend to do every round, even if I rarely find anything) but not potato enough to refrain from attacking (like some Hakuryu captains I've encountered who deliberately go afk just to spite the team). QE might be in the right tier to troll for tier 8 planes (if she can handle it), but I somewhat doubt Lyon can handle a full wave of Taiho's torpedo bombers.

Among the surprise ships to bring an AA troll captain onto are:

• Konig
  • Bayern
  • Sims (this one got me good back when I was grinding Hiryu — 31 planes lost to this [edited])
  • Pensacola
  • Makarov
  • Budyonny
  • Nicholas
  • Yuuburi

Apart from the small sample size (2 battles is a fairly small number—I've had more games in a row against fishing divisions), don't forget that there are non-CA ships that can also make a CV go "nope", including but not limited to:

• USN BBs (especially Texas and tier 8+)
  • Kidd
  • Fletcher
  • Gneisenau (boy, do I remember the terror this thing brought me when I was a novice at CVs)

Finally, do remember that sometimes, the CV is simply busy with other matters. I advise you to perhaps throw subtle bait at him, although that may backfire and cause him to avoid you for the rest of the match (it really depends on his mentality). Alternatively, go where his planes go or position yourself so that you will be in the way of an attack thrown at your team. An Atlanta hiding behind the islands on twin brothers, for instance, will pretty much shut down any attempt at attacking backline ships on that flank.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,787 posts
9,443 battles

AA ratings are buffed by every AA skill except MAA. I learned during Ryujo to memorize AA ratings on stock/upgraded hulls. Recognizing AA threats became very easy.

[TDRB]
Members
2,673 posts
7,699 battles

When driving ships with less than adequate AA defense it is good to know which team mates to support when there are CV's around.

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

Yep, when I'm cv player, I always check who had a high AA and who had a low AA, when I'm playing CA or BB with High AA, very rare I'm lucky ate their plane but most case, CV is too smart to do that and won't attack so they send fighter to spot you for teammate shooting at you.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,944 battles

I keep getting people telling me to go after Gearings and Fletchers because "they're just DDs". Yes they are. They're US DDs that hate planes with a firey passion. I'll go after something with fewer teeth on the first wave, thank you very much.

[PLPT]
[PLPT]
Members
66 posts
4,893 battles

If you have a Texas, just sail that a lot. Plenty of tier 4&5 players trying out cvs and have no idea what they are doing. It's hilarious when they attack your AA spec'd ship.

Members
433 posts
5 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

Not many CVs around anymore so not many buffing AA. I know I specced my US BB captain out of AA in favor of BoS and fire prevention. CVs are relatively rare and fires are practically constant.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,701 posts
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I miss the days when BB players sailed in a straight line and set speed. What is happening to this game? :cap_fainting:

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,944 battles
24 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I miss the days when BB players sailed in a straight line and set speed. What is happening to this game? :cap_fainting:

I know right? It's like people are actually learning how to play. THE HORROR!

Members
3,043 posts
4,322 battles
48 minutes ago, MrSparkle said:

Not many CVs around anymore so not many buffing AA. I know I specced my US BB captain out of AA in favor of BoS and fire prevention. CVs are relatively rare and fires are practically constant.

Ya, a sad truth and I have done the same. I even switched some AA ships over to the secondary mod instead

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,515 posts
6,182 battles
6 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

That’s why you never spec a BB for pure AA.  BFT/AFT is as close as you should ever get.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,625 posts
14,879 battles
On 8/3/2018 at 11:40 PM, TheDreadnought said:

That’s why you never spec a BB for pure AA.  BFT/AFT is as close as you should ever get.

Nope...I need that manual crap when trolling the T8 CVs.

tr.thumb.jpg.25da888ae80b61776147d0d28503ce3a.jpg

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[KAPPA]
Members
722 posts
5,153 battles

I have similar issues and I'm even a co-op player (formerly randoms, but the snipe at distance meta drove me out due to the frustration it caused. I play games to have fun, not get more stressed.). I'll load up in an AA ship, typically Kii or my current personal favorite, Akizuki and I'll either not get CVs in games (even when there are 2-3 CVs in the queue) or the bot CVs will avoid me in about half of the CV battles I do get in. I do have to admit though, I suffered at the hands of CVs so much in my first year or so of playing the game (and this was when it was still possible for one team to have a CV and the other not so much), that a partial AA build is standard on the vast majority of my ships, unless there is some clearly better use of upgrade slots and captain skill points. All of the US BBs on my US/Allies account are still AA build with the exception of Massachusetts. I also have ARP Kongo setup as a T5 AA machine because the CV bots down there are more "accommodating". I still have a high opinion of Akiuki's AA though, as when I do get attacked in her (which is at least more often than in Kii) I take great pride in outperforming both the AA cruisers on my team and our CV on a regular basis (at least when it's a human driving it).

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[WOLF3]
Members
19,778 posts
18,185 battles
On 8/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Soshi_Sone said:

I loved it when Lyon was new, esp. when she was first only available via crate missions.  Nobody really knew about her qualities other than her having lots of main battery guns.  So her AA went under the radar.  I specced her for AA and sailed out in the open, alone, daring CVs to come after me.

In different matches, 2 Kagas tried and between all the bomber strikes they sent my way, only 1 of their DBs made it back.

I've shredded Tier VIII-IX CV planes.

I love the free credit & XP rewards from swatting planes.  It's like people are dropping bags of money on my doorstep!

People like to say AA isn't important, until a CV arrives and nukes the sh*t out of them.  Then it's time to enact their normal form of Air Defense, whine on the boards.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
462 posts
4,645 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I loved it when Lyon was new, esp. when she was first only available via crate missions.  Nobody really knew about her qualities other than her having lots of main battery guns.  So her AA went under the radar.  I specced her for AA and sailed out in the open, alone, daring CVs to come after me.

In different matches, 2 Kagas tried and between all the bomber strikes they sent my way, only 1 of their DBs made it back.

I've shredded Tier VIII-IX CV planes.

I love the free credit & XP rewards from swatting planes.  It's like people are dropping bags of money on my doorstep!

People like to say AA isn't important, until a CV arrives and nukes the sh*t out of them.  Then it's time to enact their normal form of Air Defense, whine on the boards.

This is very much like when Twitch was giving out the Texas, that first week or so was awesome, Swatting planes by the hanger full,   But after a while CV captains got smart and wouldn't  sent a plane within 15km of a Texas, now they just manuel drop outside of its AA bubble. 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,778 posts
18,185 battles
1 minute ago, DarkStormy said:

This is very much like when Twitch was giving out the Texas, that first week or so was awesome, Swatting planes by the hanger full,   But after a while CV captains got smart and wouldn't  sent a plane within 15km of a Texas, now they just manuel drop outside of its AA bubble. 

Jean Bart is going to be ruthless in her AA.

[NUWES]
Members
2,189 posts
6,911 battles
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, StoneRhino said:

I saw a DM get sunk with AP bombs last week. He apparently didn't bother to spec for AA. 

• Cool 1