You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Phoque_Kleber_

Two fresh Ideas for Ranked season

20 comments in this topic

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles

Option 1.                                         Option 2                               

Ranks 23-22 tier 1                  tier 5

21-20 tier 2                              tier 6

19-18 tier 3                             tier 7

17-16 tier 4                             tier 8

15-14 tier 5                             tier 8

13-12 tier 6                             tier 9

11-10 tier 7                             tier 9

9-7 tier 8                                 tier 10

6-5 tier 9                                 tier 10

4-1 tier 10                              tier 10

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

Too many tiers to really be viable. Would be so annoying moving captains around and such. I think 2 main tiers is the max but honestly I’d prefer 1 tier throughout. 

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers, Modder
5,783 posts
7,156 battles

The 10-6 bracket plays with each other so splitting tiers ruins that pretty harshly.

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
6 minutes ago, Tour_du_Reims said:

I see you gave this some thought, but no.

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
15 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Too many tiers to really be viable. Would be so annoying moving captains around and such. I think 2 main tiers is the max but honestly I’d prefer 1 tier throughout. 

I was thinking that too. I think it would be fun though to see who has kept loyal to a tier. I like to have at least one good ship for each tier. So you don't have to move your captains.

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
23 minutes ago, Tour_du_Reims said:

That's using alot of different captains or a ton of retraining. Either way that would put alot jr players further behind the curve then they already are. 

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
2 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

That's using alot of different captains or a ton of retraining. Either way that would put alot jr players further behind the curve then they already are. 

See my other comment on this.

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
3 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Also other ideas are welcome just something different to try.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Ranked needs to be redone from the ground up in my opinion. It would be less frustrating if they took away the limited time period, added a clearer Elo system (instead of the star system, which is annoying), and limited the amount of ranked battles you could play per week.

They could add rewards for reaching each rating bracket, and for reaching certain numbers of ranked battles, and so on. There are many different things to reward. The limited amount of battles per week would greatly reduce the pressure to play and climb the ladder for those who play a lot and experience a greater competitive drive, but it would also increase the importance of each match played. It's a trade. It would be less frustrating I think. And in order to avoid long queue times from limiting the ranked battle amount, they could restrict ranked to a certain 2 or 4 hour period every day.

Yes, that would mean the people who work or do something else during those hours wouldn't be able to play much, but that's an acceptable loss from my view. If it happens every day, and every week, and every month, they'd eventually be able to devote some real time to it and since an Elo rating system would be in use they would naturally rise to their deserved rank relatively quickly. There isn't a grind in the sense that if you play enough you'll eventually succeed, though if you learn from your mistakes you'll naturally improve, of course.

Edited by Hiroe

Members
653 posts
44 minutes ago, Tour_du_Reims said:

No

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
6 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

Ranked needs to be redone from the ground up in my opinion. It would be less frustrating if they took away the limited time period, added a clearer Elo system (instead of the star system, which is annoying), and limited the amount of ranked battles you could play per week.

They could add rewards for reaching each rating bracket, and for reaching certain numbers of ranked battles, and so on. There are many different things to reward. The limited amount of battles per week would greatly reduce the pressure to play and climb the ladder for those who play a lot and experience a greater competitive drive, but it would also increase the importance of each match played. It's a trade. It would be less frustrating I think. And in order to avoid long queue times from limiting the ranked battle amount, they could restrict ranked to a certain 2 or 4 hour period every day.

Yes, that would mean the people who work or do something else during those hours wouldn't be able to play much, but that's an acceptable loss from my view. If it happens every day, and every week, and every month, they'd eventually be able to devote some real time to it and since an Elo rating system would be in use they would naturally rise to they deserved rank relatively quickly. There isn't a grind in the sense that if you play enough you'll eventually succeed, though if you learn from your mistakes you'll naturally improve as always.

I don't have the math chops to comment on some of this really.

I don't like limiting games because some people can play alot and get somewhere with a bit of persistence. I also think it would just blow a lot of people out and I think the game is richer for its wider variety. We don't just want dedicated pros playing ranked.

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
9 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

No

Thank you for you thoughtful insight. The game needs more deep thinkers like yourself. Keep up the good work.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, Tour_du_Reims said:

I don't have the math chops to comment on some of this really.

I don't like limiting games because some people can play alot and get somewhere with a bit of persistence. I also think it would just blow a lot of people out and I think the game is richer for its wider variety. We don't just want dedicated pros playing ranked.

Why would only dedicated pros be playing ranked?

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
Just now, Hiroe said:

Why would only dedicated pros be playing ranked?

It would depend on the times but many people have work and family to priorities. Clans already suffers this issue to a degree. Pros and kids that have the time to pencil it in so to speak.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, Tour_du_Reims said:

It would depend on the times but many people have work and family to priorities. Clans already suffers this issue to a degree. Pros and kids that have the time to pencil it in so to speak.

Ah, yea. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. Just some thoughts.

[AHOY_]
Members
184 posts
9,723 battles
5 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

Ah, yea. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. Just some thoughts.

Of course. Thank you for ideas. Just testing them.

Members
653 posts
28 minutes ago, Tour_du_Reims said:

Thank you for you thoughtful insight. The game needs more deep thinkers like yourself. Keep up the good work.

You are very welcome if you ever need more just post more of this

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,365 posts
8,084 battles

Currently there are leagues in ranked where people from several ranks are in the same pool and can be pulled into matches together (example ranks 5-1). With the system you propose it would break the leagues up even farther so it would be much harder to find matches, especially near the top.

What might make the biggest improvement is a rating system that accounts for things more than just victories and top xp. Things like kills, % damage dealt to ships, caps, cap defenses, etc which all effect the course of the battle could be used so that even when the rest of the team is determined to throw the match you can still be progressing in some way.

Unfortunately ranked cant fix one thing which is those of us that like playing with our friends. Ranked is by definition a solo activity which is why I like CB so much more. My IRL friends and I can play the game together instead of hoping we dont impede each other.