You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

WGC isn't reason to ragequit

51 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,787 posts
9,443 battles

Cause you'll never have matches like this again!

7Y3QcBS.jpg

That said, given my investigator's mind, the threads speak of history, not current WGC, as being the main issue. I will be installing WGC myself later and configuring it in my Task Manager Startup. The shortcut for straight to WOWS game was easy to make. If that does not work, I saw a Steam workaround that migrates your WOWS account there, and Steam is reliable.

Later I'll report back how well it's working. It just seems to me people are saying something like "WG, no updates are necessary. The current launcher doesn't need fixing. After some bad experience w/ your WGC I simply cannot stomach it again." Radar_X and a few others have stated this WGC is different--which means the old WGC is all your bad experience comes from.

• Boring 6

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
9 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Later I'll report back how well it's working. It just seems to me people are saying something like "WG, no updates are necessary. The current launcher doesn't need fixing. After some bad experience w/ your WGC I simply cannot stomach it again." Radar_X and a few others have stated this WGC is different--which means the old WGC is all your bad experience comes from.

Reymu, I mean this with all respect. You have to understand for a lot of players Wargaming has lost a lot of trust, it is just not only the WGC!

• Cool 4

[RQL]
Privateers
241 posts
10,027 battles

There's always going to be an "any change is bad " crowd. I try not to let it bother me.  WGC, though at first I wasn't sold on it,  turned out to be helpful.  

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,006 posts
4,609 battles

To be honest I think the main issue is that WGC is forced on the players and doesn't let them have separate clients, instead of just being a useful tool for people who play more than one WG title. 

You will never be able to satisfy all players, but you can offer different solutions for different preferences.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
4,786 posts
2,718 battles

I don not believe WGC is going away, but IF they listen to some of the requests:

Allow the portals to other WG games to be disabled and enabled.

Provide answers/solutions to people that have P2P connection issues.

That allow WGC to not run in the background (other than task manager).

They will have a happier playerbase.

• Cool 1

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles

I'm still salty over having to reinstall because of how much it wrecked my game last time (I have very slow internet so I have to download overnight), but I'm willing to hope they ironed out all the bugs and I'll give it another try if they absolutely make me. If it sucks when they force us to use it, then I'll gather my pitchforks and start a riot, but I'm not worried about it at the moment. 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,701 posts

Problem to me is honestly, WG has burned a lot of bridges with the current WGC. I have a number of similar programs like the Steam client which have never given a lick of trouble or caused any performance hits. Same cannot be said for the WGC. 

I oppose it because as recently as last week it gave me problems. 

The point that they help you manage multiple titles I find false. I play multiple titles and perceive no benefit.

Where it does benefit me is if I want to change regions. It makes it easier to login to my EU account. 

Other than that, it doesn't add anything. 

• Cool 2

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts
8,828 battles

My concerns with WGC boil down to one word - security. Game performance issues I can deal with. But if the claims regarding the tracer routings of the WGC sending info to an obscure marketing data firm in the Ukraine are accurate, or if my ISP and/or security software has issues identifying it as potential malware/phishing, then that's a big "no can do". I'm not putting my personal data on this computer at risk, by relaxing my security measures simply to play an online game. THAT is what WG needs to address up front.

• Cool 2

[RQL]
Privateers
241 posts
10,027 battles
32 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

To be honest I think the main issue is that WGC is forced on the players and doesn't let them have separate clients, instead of just being a useful tool for people who play more than one WG title. 

You will never be able to satisfy all players, but you can offer different solutions for different preferences.

Clients are still seperate. I still have separate installs,  WGC is just a common launcher

[FAE]
Members
2,338 posts
2,886 battles

What are the problems with the WGC? 

Also does it make things slower? I was having horrible lag yesterday, though that might not be related. 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,794 posts
5,097 battles

WGC isn't reason to ragequit

No, but the industrial-grade facepalm it inspires is completely reasonable.

WG should understand that in the current world climate, an (essentially) Russian company forcing Americans to run an unnecessary TSR-type program on their computers without full, transparent and verifiable disclosure about what it is connecting to and what information it is communicating is going to cause some trust issues.  (Red flag!)  I've seen at least one report here on the forums that someone saw it opening connections to third party web addresses by monitoring the connections their pc was making.

I never had any problems with the old one, but I only let it run on my system now after an update is released.

• Cool 3

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,535 posts
4,679 battles

I not using WGC and I not having this issue. where is people downloading this center?

[NG-NL]
Members
5,787 posts
9,443 battles

It's working smoothly. Just tested w/ restart and launching WoWS, seems it obeys the startup on/off like any other installed program. Also exited WGC smoothly after starting WOWS, no issues.

Neat thing is you can limit WGC to only 1 port, from its settings.

As to its going to 3rd party advertisement IPs, seems blown out of proportion. However, I'd like clarification from WG (looking at you @Radar_X) on exactly why these IP addresses for WGC and if it'd be feasible to use a VPN or proxy server, for players that're very concerned about potential malware.

59 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Reymu, I mean this with all respect. You have to understand for a lot of players Wargaming has lost a lot of trust, it is just not only the WGC!

True, but if they're thinking overall, not in sections, then they're being a bit foolish. On CV rework, customer service, and certain other topics, yes, they have been A+ at ruining trust, but on topics like patches on time, new ship lines, they've been consistent.

As already said, the complaints about WGC apparently date from its beta version. Of course bugs would normal then, thus the complaints. However, the complaints offered now on WCG's functionality are simply from the beta version, not present version. If WG says they've been working on it--economically, saves their programmers time--then can trust their word on it and try the new WGC.

Had the WGC caused issues, I'd have noted them.

59 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Does the unbroken launcher need coding updates every patch?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
941 posts
42 minutes ago, Retnav54 said:

My concerns with WGC boil down to one word - security. Game performance issues I can deal with. But if the claims regarding the tracer routings of the WGC sending info to an obscure marketing data firm in the Ukraine are accurate, or if my ISP and/or security software has issues identifying it as potential malware/phishing, then that's a big "no can do". I'm not putting my personal data on this computer at risk, by relaxing my security measures simply to play an online game. THAT is what WG needs to address up front.

That's why I have one computer for doing "work" and "business" on and one for gaming and having fun.

That way if my gaming rig is infected by "gaming software" I download onto it I just wipe it and restore it with a base image off my network within a couple of minutes.

Never ever conduct personal or business transactions on a rig you download foreign software on or any software that you do not know the origins of.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, TheBigM145 said:

There's always going to be an "any change is bad " crowd. I try not to let it bother me.  WGC, though at first I wasn't sold on it,  turned out to be helpful.  

Change for the sake of change is chaos not progress.

• Cool 2

Members
4,725 posts
8,129 battles
4 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Well I have found out in life that sometimes the old adage "of it ain't broke don't fix it" has merit.  Sometimes. 

[PSP]
Members
8,201 posts
1 hour ago, TheBigM145 said:

There's always going to be an "any change is bad " crowd. 

You should have seen the commotion when the forums instituted emoticons.

[YORHA]
Members
4,146 posts
7,153 battles
11 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Change is inevitable.

Progress?  Not so much.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,422 posts
6,088 battles
2 hours ago, TheBigM145 said:

There's always going to be an "any change is bad " crowd. I try not to let it bother me.

Of course, there are also always going to be a 'Change is Good' crowd. Funny how, when they lose their job, crash their car, come down with an illness that leaves them unable to get out of bed, have all of their life savings stolen, or lose a family member, we don't hear about how great they feel about their lives changing.

Change to something that works has a high probability to result in something that does not work, as you are changing a working item for something else.

Change, by definition, is usually bad, as the pre-change state is usually viable, so any change to that has many more non-viable outcomes than the certainty of viability by not changing. Thus, the entire concept that change is, fundamentally, a good thing is ludicrous, and the sign of bad reasoning.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 2

[VOP]
Members
355 posts
7,940 battles
13 minutes ago, MajorHavoc said:

What about underwear or socks tho?  Should we get into a logical debate about changing those?

Maybe it depends on the frequency of events that would render those items unwearable?

[BS]
Members
1,451 posts
7,820 battles
3 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Maybe it depends on the frequency of events that would render those items unwearable?

Wondering what a well used pair of underwear worn by an AirJellyFish looks like. Wait, no i'm not

• Funny 1