You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Psycodiver

Clemson, why upgrade the torpedoes

8 comments in this topic

[HUNGS]
Members
1,663 posts
3,603 battles

I've had the Clemson for a while now and I run the stock torpedoes even though i see people running the upgraded torpedoes, but why? You only gain .5km and your reload is way longer. I've rarely been in a situation where .5km helped me but I've been in plenty where that 40 second reload has saved me. Opinions?

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
12 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I've had the Clemson for a while now and I run the stock torpedoes even though i see people running the upgraded torpedoes, but why? You only gain .5km and your reload is way longer. I've rarely been in a situation where .5km helped me but I've been in plenty where that 40 second reload has saved me. Opinions?

You gain alpha and range. Which is worth the reload change. 20km vs 12.5km torps, the range isn’t a big factor to me. 5.04km vs 5.49km torps, I notice the difference. As far as alpha, stock have 9.9k vs top at 11,733. If you see another fully upgraded Clemson in game, it has either 10.9k or 12.3k health. The upgraded torps will either destroy it or leave it with ~500 HP (most of the time). The stock torps will leave at minimum 1k which could be enough for him to get away. 

With the torpedo range so short, the number of times the 26s reload difference will matter are rare. Most of the time you need more torps up within 5km you will be destroyed before either of them reload. 

TL;DR the alpha + the range allows more hits and harder hits with potential to destroy DD’s in one hit. This is why it is worth it to upgrade. 

Edit: I can go into more depth but don’t feel like it unless you really want more info.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[-K-]
Members
6,270 posts
10,490 battles

If anything, unlocking all options allows you to Elite the ship and earn Elite XP on it once you buy Nicholas.

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

The point I see is you are forced into the longer reload times and longer range once you are in the Nicholas. Might as well start getting used to the dynamic instead trying to learn it along with the new ship. 

• Cool 1

[HUNGS]
Members
1,663 posts
3,603 battles

I'm already up to the Mahan, the Clemson is my "fun" ship. 

5 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

You gain alpha and range. Which is worth the reload change. 20km vs 12.5km torps, the range isn’t a big factor to me. 5.04km vs 5.49km torps, I notice the difference. As far as alpha, stock have 9.9k vs top at 11,733. If you see another fully upgraded Clemson in game, it has either 10.9k or 12.3k health. The upgraded torps will either destroy it or leave it with ~500 HP (most of the time). The stock torps will leave at minimum 1k which could be enough for him to get away. 

With the torpedo range so short, the number of times the 26s reload difference will matter are rare. Most of the time you need more torps up within 5km you will be destroyed before either of them reload. 

TL;DR the alpha + the range allows more hits and harder hits with potential to destroy DD’s in one hit. This is why it is worth it to upgrade. 

Edit: I can go into more depth but don’t feel like it unless you really want more info.

But the Alpha strike isn't much better and also only .5km gain with no gain in speed. For a dedicated "fun" ship, why even mount the upgrade?

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
27 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

But the Alpha strike isn't much better and also only .5km gain with no gain in speed. For a dedicated "fun" ship, why even mount the upgrade?

I mean to each their own, but the alpha pushes it over the threshold of insta delete DD’s and gives you more ability to dev strike other ships. The range as I pointed out gives you slightly more flexibility and if you really need the 22s shorter reload with only 5km range, you are probably not going to be able to launch them anyway.

With only 5km torps, you really can’t launch them every 40s. The only ship I think is better as far as stock hull is Ognevoi. 

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
974 posts
8,514 battles
7 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

that extra 1800 damage is a ton of health for a DD in that tier. On top of gaining an extra 1800 (per torp) you also have a 6 shell salvo with the double barrel upgraded guns. That's a ton of firepower up close. On top of all that 6-shell salvo make it easier to light fires along with the possible flooding dot. You just have so much potential firepower and an extra 1800 damage on top of all that is a sweet deal.

[SYN]
Members
3,433 posts
16,633 battles

While I see your point about faster reload being very handy you don't need to rely on torps to fight other DDs.  The upgraded torps also give you a bit more of a window to stealth torp ships, and while it can stealth torp with the standard torps it is a lot harder to do.

If your play style is to rush ships I would stick with the standard ones, if you want to play a less risky play style go with the upgraded ones.  Just remember that in higher tiers you wont have the option to rush ships as they get exponentially more capable at defending themselves.

Edited by Camo68