You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The Joys and Sorrows of the Public Test Server

10 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles

First, let me preface this by saying that the PTS is IMO one of the best parts of the game. The ability to pick up a few flags here, a few camos there, for a stupidly low investment in game play while AT THE SAME TIME playing with resources, ships and captain builds that are simply unaffordable to me on the main server is just... wow. Two glorious weekends a month.

I love the fact that it showcases the new content while (for the  most part) making it stupidly easy to to earn. I know the reason for this is to ensure that all the bells and whistles actually work prior to roll-out and then they can just plug in the "normal" values when the new version goes live.

The downsides (to the extent that they are) are these:

1) Potentially unrepresentative player base? Not everybody runs the PTS, and sometimes there are few enough people that you really wonder if the playing experience is matching live-server reality. There can be no doubt that merely being on the PTS is selecting out a particular subset of the general population. TBH, this is not Wargaming's fault, and this is more of an observation than a criticism.

2) The unrepresentative economy. Again, as stated above, this has to be done so that the patch viability can be established. But I would really, REALLY appreciate being able to know (e.g. by hovering the mouse over something) how this is going to change when the patch goes live. For example, the anniversary crates, which in the PTS give us the tokens by which to earn the space captains and all the various incarnations of Dasha (10 points each, it seems, which is nothing to sneeze at). All of these are stupidly easy to get in PTS, thrown at us like confetti, and every container gives us at least enough to earn one ten-point captain. But what will happen when things go live? How much of a rude shock are we in for? Interested minds want to know!!! :Smile_teethhappy: 

3) PTS Ranked Battles. WG, we accept that some of the live-server rewards have to come with a bit of a challenge, but some of us have better things to do on the live server and not much time to accomplish them. If you only want to test out the mechanisms, you need to REALLY foreshorten the PTS ranked season (more than it already is) and make it dead easy. After all, it's not like we'll be keeping anything we get here.

• Cool 4

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
245 posts
10,367 battles

Good post, OP!

I too wonder why more people don't participate.  The free stuff is great, but even better is the chance to drive ships (with upgrades) that I don't have in port.  It is almost a 'try before you buy" event each time they run one.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles
1 minute ago, Joe_918145 said:

It is almost a 'try before you buy" event each time they run one.

Almost but not quite - you still have a grind to do if you want to do a Tier V ship when they're giving you a Tier VI!! :Smile_teethhappy: They ideally need them all unlocked, if not in port.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,530 posts
4,679 battles
6 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

Good post, OP!

I too wonder why more people don't participate.  The free stuff is great, but even better is the chance to drive ships (with upgrades) that I don't have in port.  It is almost a 'try before you buy" event each time they run one.

I'm just one of those people that have done way to much testing back in my days that I can't do public test any more.... (Former supertester). I rather just play the game now

Members
381 posts
3,981 battles

I also enjoy the PTS, lets me play with new toys, and set thing up differently than I would on the live server, since I have the resources to change things and try new combinations.  I also enjoy the preview of what is up coming in the next release.  the only downside for me is not having enough time to participate...my general issue with playing in general, and why I miss most clan/ranked events.  Between work and outside activities, my game time suffers.  But when I'm down about something going on in the game, the PTS is a welcome respite with new things to look forward to, generally, with the quick jump between different things keeping things fresh.

• Cool 1

Members
95 posts
8,542 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

First, let me preface this by saying that the PTS is IMO one of the best parts of the game. The ability to pick up a few flags here, a few camos there, for a stupidly low investment in game play while AT THE SAME TIME playing with resources, ships and captain builds that are simply unaffordable to me on the main server is just... wow. Two glorious weekends a month.

I agree with the above wholeheartedly!

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles
11 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

I'm just one of those people that have done way too much testing back in my days that I can't do public test any more.... (Former supertester). I rather just play the game now

Accepted, but you are part of a very particular subset of players.

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles

Yeah I haven't felt the desire to try ranked on the PTS yet. Five battles just for three of each draconic flag? And nothing on the live server for reaching rank 1? I'll pass. After trying the new main battery reload booster and hearing Dasha's voiceover I feel like I've seen all there is so far. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint

[WOLF9]
Members
8,936 posts
4,184 battles

Geez, mods?  Why move this thread?  The PTS could really use some General Discussion pimping.