You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wtfovr

The New WGC Launcher

Old Launcher Support  

182 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Do you believe that WoWs developers should continue support for the Old Launcher?

• Yes
    • No

617 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
767 posts
4,879 battles

I know that I’m just one insignificant player out of the average 12-14000 players that play daily, I’ve tried the wargaming center before and I reverted back to the standalone launcher, but if they force us to this new upgraded wargaming center launcher like they did for world of warplanes. I’m just going to stop playing.

i love this game and I’m not liking being forced to use the Wargaming center

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/wgc-whats-new/

The Wargaming Game Center also does a better job of helping us bring new players into the game and keep them there, which contributes to the overall health of the project, allowing us to satisfy your naval needs for years to come. We've now reached a stage where WGC is a stable platform with most of the issues highlighted by the community now fixed, so its beta testing period will be finalized in the near future. We will continue to focus on improving and expanding WGC, and we don't want to split our team and audience between it and the old launchers.

Therefore, we will stop supporting the old launcher infrastructure within the next few updates and help all players transition from the old launcher to the new one. We'll provide everyone with more details later on.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1

[VOP]
Members
395 posts
7,561 battles

Thank you for posting this and keeping us informed.

Like you I feel the same. People don't want this launcher and never asked for it.

Now if they would just fix the bugs in the game that would be great...:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 6

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,480 posts
21,338 battles

As a wise man once said. A mans got to do what a mans got to do.       

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,125 posts
29,381 battles

I am not interested in the new launcher in the least.

I have been happy enough with the current launcher forever. Why change?

[G0ATS]
Alpha Tester
153 posts
5,127 battles

What is your objection exactly?

I find it extremely convenient as it automatically logins you into the game, automatically updates and consolidates all wargaming games into one source. It is also nice to have one icon instead of three.

I realize change is scary, especially when it has unseen benefits, but b.net/blizzard, Origin and Steam have all done the same thing for years and Wargaming is just catching up.

• Cool 7

[YAN]
Members
1,649 posts
8,051 battles

fH7wkqX.png

So I just read this. Why are you doing this WG? The old launcher was GOOD because it was basic, it didn't use more resources then required, it didn't show  things I didn't want to see. It provided easy access to the news feed, but it didn't do anything more than that.
I liked that, I know I'm not alone in this and I've seen the game centre ruin computer performance on systems which is something I entirely want to want to avoid, and no that doest not mean optimization will make me like the new launcher.

I don't want this launcher, anything to do with it or similar and no amount of compensation is going to change my view. Just provide an option to use the old launcher and lets be done with it.

• Cool 14

[-BRS-]
Members
2,626 posts
16,059 battles

Come on they gotta keep adding new shiny things someone's department will get close down if he didn't come up with new ideas every patch

They added so much this game lately I don't care to even pay attention anymore

Parts left off cost nothing and cause no maintenance problems

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles

As a customer I like options. One only has to look at the posts when they first announced the launcher like almost a year ago to realize I am not alone in my thinking. From what I know about it from reading Reddit and here, it is a buggy POS that slows the game down because it wants to run in the background like a poorly designed piece of software too stupid to end itself. With any luck someone will come up with a mod to kill it or to bypass it altogether. 

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,037 posts
4,395 battles

I have deliberately kept around an old installer file for WoWs to avoid downloading the Game Center.  I send it to all my friends who ask for it, and save it for my own use whenever I reinstall windows.  

This is an awful change, and while it won't cause me to stop playing, it will aggravate me. 

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
2,626 posts
16,059 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

As a customer I like options. One only has to look at the posts when they first announced the launcher like almost a year ago to realize I am not alone in my thinking. From what I know about it from reading Reddit and here, it is a buggy POS that slows the game down because it wants to run in the background like a poorly designed piece of software too stupid to end itself. With any luck someone will come up with a mod to kill it or to bypass it altogether. 

Once the game launches I close it down

Members
1,890 posts
5,859 battles

A controversy about a launcher is. useless. In the computer world it's keep up, catch up, or fall out. It consolidates their connection and their contact with there players. The launcher also has control software in it to stabilize and secure their connection, in other words keeps the bad people out.. So your argument is outdated. Sorry.:Smile_bajan2:

Edited by Raven114
  • Cool 4

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
590 posts
2,741 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

There are rumors that modders might do this, but it's not as easy as making a WoWs-mod. Keeping fingers crossed though.

Whenever this subject comes up there's a virtual sh*t-storm on all communities so if there is one thing WG doesn't do on this is listen to their players. A gamer today have several such launchers they have to contend with (Steam, GOG, Ubi, Origin and more) but they at least have a valid number of titles making it viable and understandable. WG has what, a handful of titles? I'm going to stay away from WGC for as long as I possibly can, but that's me.

EDIT: As for the closing down bit, that may change later on. TWA needs to have WGC up and running at all times f.ex. Nothing to say that WoWs may/may not require that later on as well.

Edited by Krautjaeger

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles

So the time has come for the Wargaming center they didn’t read the bugs section of the forums I guess. Well folks there is only one way around this one has to install steam and delete a certain line of code. As installing an old launcher won’t work when they put this crap forward. I tried to run this on a $1,000 hp envy with an i7 in early 2017 and it kept giving me lag spikes like 50 to 500ping many times. The same thing happened with world of warships endured the crap for 3 months and then uninstalled it which took forever due to having to uninstall each game one by one and then the installer itself. Oh just launch the task manager and do direct exe I find that to be an inconvenience that nobody should have to deal with when playing a game of this scale. The center sends your information to some third parry as well and slows down everything on your WiFi. Hope more people speak out besides me.

• Cool 3

[VOP]
Members
395 posts
7,561 battles

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/127462-wargamingnet-game-center-feedback/?page=6

The objection? Well feel free to look at the above thread. For some peoples pc's this causes major lag and hogs resources. For others they cannot download the updates for the certain games at times. The constant reinstalling of the whole game over and over again for some people is just insane.

Most people are not running an uber new /fast gaming rig with all the bells and whistles. My pc is over 5 years old and runs WOWs just fine using the original launcher.  This will kill off peoples older machines and they know it. Most people are not going to upgrade a machine to play a game. Most people cannot afford to do that. And they shouldn't have to do this especially if the game is working just fine on their current pc.

Again the original launcher works fine on peoples pc's. It is nonintrusive and does not hog resources. And people have also downloaded it from my posts over 500 times. Obviously it is not really desired for some people.

But to each their own.

• Cool 4

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles

My question, will us Mac users get dragged into this all as well? 

I'll admit, I've played WoWs Public Test on the WGC for Mac (not sure if many people know about it) and it worked fine. Hey, there are some good things about it! For instance, when the game crashed you don't have to reload the Launcher like you normally would without WGC. And now with this auto-login feature (haven't played PT in a while so don't know much about this feature) it's supposedly easier to launch the game. 

I can't say that I'd "quit" WoWs of Mac users are forced to get WGC as well, but if it has some terrible bug that wouldn't allow Mac users to play (like most of the time), I'm not going to be a happy camper. 

• Cool 1

[YAN]
Members
1,649 posts
8,051 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

From what I know about it from reading Reddit and here, it is a buggy POS that slows the game down because it wants to run in the background like a poorly designed piece of software too stupid to end itself. With any luck someone will come up with a mod to kill it or to bypass it altogether. 

Exactly my thoughts on this.

I'll go further and say "benefits" such as automatic updates are actually negatives, I want to control when and where my downloads occur and especially hate things that run in the background and do things like this. I shouldn't have to go to additional effort to close down a program that shouldn't be open, or prevent it doing things it shouldn't of ever had the chance to.

• Cool 2

[CUTIE]
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
9 minutes ago, mr_angry_eyes said:

I realize change is scary, especially when it has unseen benefits, but b.net/blizzard, Origin and Steam have all done the same thing for years and Wargaming is just catching up.

I can only comment on Steam as I don't use the others, but Steam doesn't eat up all my resources while running in the background.

It's also telling that most of the posts in the official "Game Center Feedback" thread consist of people either asking how to run the game without it, or explaining how to run the game without it.

• Cool 1

Members
1,890 posts
5,859 battles

A controversy about a launcher is. useless. In the computer world it's keep up, catch up, or fall out. It consolidates their connection and their contact with there players. The launcher also has control software in it to stabilize and secure their connection, in other words keeps the bad people out.. So your argument is outdated. Sorry.:Smile_bajan2:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles
23 minutes ago, mr_angry_eyes said:

What is your objection exactly?

I find it extremely convenient as it automatically logins you into the game, automatically updates and consolidates all wargaming games into one source. It is also nice to have one icon instead of three.

Well the big thing for me anyways is that it wants to download all three games. I play WoWS only. I lost interest in WoT and WoWP has always seemed like a mess to me and have zero interest. I don't want anything updating without me telling it to update. Face it WoWP is dead, no one is interested in it. WoT has gotten so convoluted that the NA server is bleeding players like a severed carotid artery. Only WoWS is growing, albeit at a snails pace, but it is on the upswing. 

Change isn't scary, not sure why anyone would be terrified of a game change, that is imbecilic. Not all change is good, history is replete with horrible changes. For those of you who play all three games, have at it. The Launcher is custom made for you, just leave the rest of us alone. 

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles

This is going to affect Mac users don’t think for a second that they are going let you off Scott free. They want your data much like how Facebook already admitted as much in their recent Cambridge Analytica scandal. Does Wargaming really need more of our information I think not. The Wargaming center is a lazy way of making people upgrade to newer PCs while stealing your data as well like a malware program which is exactly how it acted like the whole time I had it for 3 months. All I had was constant lag spikes and a very slow internet connection. This is not a good change I would rather have them unite all players on steam as that is stable the Wargaming center is not. Folks you all need to speak up this time unless you want more of your data given to a third party that sells it to more third parties. It is not a good tool due to how it completely slows down your internet and pc at the same time.

• Cool 3

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles

I have one question, with this new center will still be able to launcher the game using the EXE. like I do with the current launcher?

[HYDRO]
Members
3,019 posts
4,612 battles

If you have Steam you can download and launch the game there and play with your old Wargaming account. Did this in December 2017, so far no issue whatsoever.

For people like me that have lots of games on Steam, this was a lifesaver.

Edited by warheart1992

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,780 posts
4,437 battles

I was able to run this launcher on a laptop and had no issues. I think most people remember the extreme bugs it had early on in development that haven't been an issue for over 9 months.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,304 posts
6,924 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If you have Steam you can download and launch the game there and play with your old Wargaming account. Did this in December 2017, so far no issue whatsoever.

For people like me that have lots of games on Steam, this was a lifesaver.

How do you do this? 

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
590 posts
2,741 battles
8 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

This is going to affect Mac users don’t think for a second that they are going let you off Scott free. They want your data much like how Facebook already admitted as much in their recent Cambridge Analytica scandal. Does Wargaming really need more of our information I think not. The Wargaming center is a lazy way of making people upgrade to newer PCs while stealing your data as well like a malware program which is exactly how it acted like the whole time I had it for 3 months. All I had was constant lag spikes and a very slow internet connection. This is not a good change I would rather have them unite all players on steam as that is stable the Wargaming center is not. Folks you all need to speak up this time unless you want more of your data given to a third party that sells it to more third parties. It is not a good tool due to how it completely slows down your internet and pc at the same time.

^^ That. For especially interested users you can track all the connections already using tools like the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4, outgoing connections and trace & translate the end IPs. WoWp, which has had WGC for a while now, tries to phone out to '195.242.151.50' f.ex. which belongs to Nikitova LLC over in Ukraine which you can find little information about other than they are in to marketing. You can easily block some of these connections but at some point they're gonna figure out a way that makes the games not launch without a verified callback from those sources so stay tuned.

Edited by Krautjaeger
  • Cool 1