You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KSN

PSA - If you download the WGC and get a C:\ProgramData Forced File Path Installation, here's why:

18 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,753 posts
9,350 battles

Read Updated Info below:

[SOLVED] 

Updated:

If you are going to trial this WGC (final version - 18.) beta software, and you care about where it is installed, ONLY DOWNLOAD THE INSTALLER FROM THE NEWS SITE [Direct Download Link] http://redirect.wargaming.net/WGC/Wargaming_Game_Center_Install_NA.exe

Note that the main download link on the WoWs Homepage has been updated from the previously reported installer named:  

world_of_warships_install_na_bnewnzi1ryvc [dot] exe 

...as well as the News Article: The New WGC webpage download link has a new installer named: 

wargaming_game_center_install_na_bnewnzi1ryvc [dot] exe

There is still the issue that if you download the WGC using the installer named "world_of_warships_install_na_ ..." it will force install the WGC to C:\ProgramData - the same as previously, about which Wargaming has not responded. Also the WGC Version number is the same. (Just uninstalled to test both installers)

A previous version release note for WGC I had noticed where there was reference to:

v.18.3

Simplified installation flow for new users

WGing's "world_of_warships_install_ ..." named installer will force installation to C:\ProgramData for new players downloading the game for the first time is meant to simplify installation (I don't know if it's because of this particular installer that some people go on to have any issues with the current version or not?). If like me you expect to have 'control' over your own system and file management, this is awful and horrid; the dumbing down installation for the Forte Nite and mobile gaming generation.

So long as WGing always serves a "wargaming_game_center_install_na ..." version of the installer for the custom build pc members of the community, or those that want that destination path control, then I will continue to play. If WGing ever dictates where I have to install software on MY system, by removing an installer that allows selection of custom drive path assignment for install, that's will be the bridge-too-far; I'm extremely passionate about this personally.

Having two installers, of which only ONE allows you to select the installation path, is total and utter чепуха!

Spoiler

[PSA] The previous iterations up to and including the current iteration of the War Gaming Center client forces installation to the C:\ProgramData drive and file location.

Here is a screen shot - the only option you have after executing world_of_warships_install_na_bnd80f7zssq0 [dot] exe is to hit cancel. You are never prompted to input a custom install location:

5b6413f8eaff4_WGCInstallpic.PNG.5c3137224e15033cf1788951dbeb7b63.PNG

User control over their own rigs/systems is something that must be respected. If not even STEAM force installs it's client or games, and everything works just fine, then there is no legitimate reason WGing needs the WGC to dictate that its software must be in this specific location on a users system.

I would encourage all of you to post in the appropriate feedback threads about the WGC, and request that WGing update the WGC installer script to include file path installation customization. Particularly because: C:\ProgramData" allows for the automatic update an application without administrative access, since ProgramData is writable by all users.

Spoiler

*Update: There seems to be differing accounts about this topic, so I recorded this:

Spoiler

**Reports are accumulating of users downloading different versions of the installer, or perhaps instances where for some the installer prompts for customizable destination file path, and for others it does not (?). If you experience this discrepancy where you as in the above video, please post a bug report in the following thread: 

** Second Update:

If attempt to download the WGC from the main "Game Download" button link on the World of Warships website, you are getting the following file: world_of_warships_install_na_bnd80f7zssq0 [dot] exe

Which you will have an issue with not being able to specify an alternate destination path.

Alternatively, if you download and get this file instead, then you have the proper installer: wargaming_game_center_install_na_bnd1gbpfz0cc [dot] exe

For whatever reason the key is that the file name starts with "wargaming_game_center_install_na_" (for example when I download I do not get the cc sufix in the file name - localization maybe?) and it can be obtained via this url: http://redirect.wargaming.net/WGC/Wargaming_Game_Center_Install_NA.exe

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
10,013 posts
28,150 battles

Well, once this goes live, I will be looking at other online games. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles
24 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Well, once this goes live, I will be looking at other online games. 

Actually someone posted a screenshot that shows you can change where it installs just prior to this screen. It is easy to miss, a little folder icon to the right of "where it is gonna install" bit.
Hope that makes sense.... Lemme find a link and post it here.

Ok here it is Tai:

Crap it went to first page for some reason. Go to the last page, there is a screenshot there. Sorry about that, dunno what happened.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 2

1,753 posts
9,350 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Actually someone posted a screenshot that shows you can change where it installs just prior to this screen. It is easy to miss, a little folder icon to the right of "where it is gonna install" bit.
Hope that makes sense.... Lemme find a link and post it here.

Ok here it is Tai:

I appreciate you posting this. in opening the world_of_warships_install_na_bnd80f7zssq0  EXE after downloading it, it dumps it right into C:\ProgramData.

If there is some ability, it is not prompted, and requires fast action which is still not okay... it's like not having the option unless you play "Where's Waldo" (?!)

• Angry 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles
3 minutes ago, KSN said:

I appreciate you posting this. in opening the world_of_warships_install_na_bnd80f7zssq0  EXE after downloading it, it dumps it right into C:\ProgramData.

If there is some ability, it is not prompted, and requires fast action which is still not okay... it's like not having the option unless you play "Where's Waldo" (?!)

LOL probably requires quick eyes and hand coordination! I just saw the post before reading Tai's is why I posted it. You might check with the person who posted the screenshot and see what they say about it.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

Oh geez, I hope this doesn't mean I have to reinstall when I log on tomorrow.

Either way, I need to find my fireproof suit, the backdraft from this is going to be LEGENDARY I'm sure.

1,753 posts
9,350 battles
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

LOL probably requires quick eyes and hand coordination! I just saw the post before reading Tai's is why I posted it. You might check with the person who posted the screenshot and see what they say about it.

Here's what happens:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles

Yeah KSN, it looks like it works for some people and does not for others. Seeing it on Reddit posts as well. Thanks for the video proof of it happening. Hopefully we will hear something from Wargaming about it now.

1,753 posts
9,350 battles
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah KSN, it looks like it works for some people and does not for others. Seeing it on Reddit posts as well. Thanks for the video proof of it happening. Hopefully we will hear something from Wargaming about it now.

Hope so too... but it's unintentional faux pas like this that really 'gin' up the player base and get people going ape @#$@ for something that should otherwise be a relatively smooth transition to a more modern client style. 

[HYDRO]
Members
2,995 posts
4,596 battles

You can play the Steam version with your Wargaming account if the WGC annoys, you use Steam daily and only want to play WoWs.  Have to say though, the outcry of the community may push WGC back or keep the old launcher. I also remember when in WoT you were able to download the updates with torrents at your leisure a few years back :Smile_hiding:  .

Edited by warheart1992

1,753 posts
9,350 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

You can play the Steam version with your Wargaming account if the WGC annoys, you use Steam daily and only want to play WoWs.  Have to say though, the outcry of the community may push WGC back or keep the old launcher. I also remember when in WoT you were able to download the updates with torrents at your leisure a few years back :Smile_hiding:  .

OMG I don't know if I want to deal with STEAM version technical issues that always pop up, and seem to get fixed last... :cap_fainting:

[HYDRO]
Members
2,995 posts
4,596 battles
4 minutes ago, KSN said:

OMG I don't know if I want to deal with STEAM version technical issues that always pop up, and seem to get fixed last... :cap_fainting:

In the 7-8 months I am running through the Steam version (installed in December), I haven't had any technical issue. Of course your mileage may vary. And there are downsides to the Steam Version as well. Mods seem to be a hit or miss on whether they will work, and well, To play on the PTS you have to download the game client or WGC in that case. Achievements don't function either. But I can have all my games in one spot or two (big Steam and GoG game hoarder) and use the download services of Steam that for me at least work better. Since I have already Steam open whenever I'm on my laptop, there are no extra resources assigned to any external client.

1,753 posts
9,350 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

In the 7-8 months I am running through the Steam version (installed in December), I haven't had any technical issue. Of course your mileage may vary. And there are downsides to the Steam Version as well. Mods seem to be a hit or miss on whether they will work, and well, To play on the PTS you have to download the game client or WGC in that case. Achievements don't function either. But I can have all my games in one spot or two (big Steam and GoG game hoarder) and use the download services of Steam that for me at least work better. Since I have already Steam open whenever I'm on my laptop, there are no extra resources assigned to any external client.

I mod my WoWs Client with the Azur Lane mod, which I very much enjoy, so yeah... not something I would want, where I would have to probably go back to the vanilla client. 

But the good news is that with the help of another player on a different thread, it seems that WGing is indeed serving up two different installers via different url paths on their public web servers ... *argh.

1,753 posts
9,350 battles

I was able to confirm with the help of @Nidhoggrr that different versions of the WGC installer are being served up (it seems):

If attempt to download the WGC from the main "Game Download" button link on the World of Warships website, you are getting the following file: world_of_warships_install_na_bnd80f7zssq0 [dot] exe

Which you will have an issue with not being able to specify an alternate destination path.

Alternatively, if you download and get this file instead, then you have the proper installer: wargaming_game_center_install_na_bnd1gbpfz0cc [dot] exe

For whatever reason the key is that the file name starts with "wargaming_game_center_install_na_" (for example when I download I do not get the cc sufix in the file name - localization maybe?) and it can be obtained via this url: http://redirect.wargaming.net/WGC/Wargaming_Game_Center_Install_NA.exe

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Its sad that us players are the ones having to fix WG's screw up.

Gives me a lot of faith in how they'll handle future screw ups with this program they'll be jamming down our throats. /s

[VOP]
Members
355 posts
7,940 battles
11 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

Its sad that us players are the ones having to fix WG's screw up.

Gives me a lot of faith in how they'll handle future screw ups with this program they'll be jamming down our throats. /s

Indeed, they need to start paying us on a per solution basis.  Maybe we should start invoicing them? lol

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

1,753 posts
9,350 battles

Relevant update:

Spoiler

Updated:

If you are going to trial this WGC (final version - 18.) beta software, and you care about where it is installed, ONLY DOWNLOAD THE INSTALLER FROM THE NEWS SITE [Direct Download Link] http://redirect.wargaming.net/WGC/Wargaming_Game_Center_Install_NA.exe

Note that the main download link on the WoWs Homepage has been updated from the previously reported installer named:  

world_of_warships_install_na_bnewnzi1ryvc [dot] exe 

...as well as the News Article: The New WGC webpage download link has a new installer named: 

wargaming_game_center_install_na_bnewnzi1ryvc [dot] exe

There is still the issue that if you download the WGC using the installer named "world_of_warships_install_na_ ..." it will force install the WGC to C:\ProgramData - the same as previously, about which Wargaming has not responded. Also the WGC Version number is the same. (Just uninstalled to test both installers)

A previous version release note for WGC I had noticed where there was reference to:

v.18.3

Simplified installation flow for new users

WGing's "world_of_warships_install_ ..." named installer will force installation to C:\ProgramData for new players downloading the game for the first time is meant to simplify installation (I don't know if it's because of this particular installer that some people go on to have any issues with the current version or not?). If like me you expect to have 'control' over your own system and file management, this is awful and horrid; the dumbing down installation for the Forte Nite and mobile gaming generation.

So long as WGing always serves a "wargaming_game_center_install_na ..." version of the installer for the custom build pc members of the community, or those that want that destination path control, then I will continue to play. If WGing ever dictates where I have to install software on MY system, by removing an installer that allows selection of custom drive path assignment for install, that's will be the bridge-too-far; I'm extremely passionate about this personally.

Having two installers, of which only ONE allows you to select the installation path, is total and utter чепуха!

*(Added to original post)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles

KSN, Wargaming should pay you money.... Great work keeping everyone informed and figuring out what the heck is going on.

I just want to add that if you have a Mac and want the installer for GLC, go to the World of Warplanes website. Click on "Download Game" and it will give you the correct Game Launcher file in a DMG format instead of the EXE format you get on the WoWS site. It will not download WoWP,  just the launcher so it only takes a short bit of time. 

Again great work KSN!

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1