You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merlox

Buy Mushashi with Coal or FreeXP?

21 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,197 battles

So I ended up actually getting a little lucky and got a ton of coal.I have 135k coal (With the 25% discount the musashi costs 132k coal) 

I do also have 980k free xp as well. Figure why not get the Mushashi, it seems like a great boat for tier 9. But what do you guys think?

Also, I have 0 steel, so no chance of saving the coupon for a steel ship. =(

Edited by Merlox

[N-W-T]
Members
1,419 posts
6,014 battles

Why not save a bit more and get the Salem with coal, and free XP the musashi?  Salem is T10 ship with T7 service costs. 

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,197 battles
20 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Why not save a bit more and get the Salem with coal, and free XP the musashi?  Salem is T10 ship with T7 service costs. 

I would have considered it, but I do already have the Des moines =( It almost feels like a waste at that rate... you know?

Edited by Merlox

[N-W-T]
Members
1,419 posts
6,014 battles

Yeah I have the DM and initially felt the same way. However it will earn way more than the DM even with permacamo, because in addition to normal T10 permacamo, she has an additional reduction of 90k in service costs. With flags and clan bonuses, the service costs come down to 25k. For a tier 10.  And it's an ideal trainer for DM captains to get them to 19 points, and to churn out elite captain XP thereafter. 

Members
936 posts

Somewhat similar situation. Used free xp to get Yamato. Then put DC mod on her. Now about to put Yamamoto on her and working on unique mod. 

Agreed with Flamu .....Mushashi....why?

[PVE]
Members
2,941 posts
21,599 battles
2 hours ago, Merlox said:

So I ended up actually getting a little lucky and got a ton of coal.I have 135k coal (With the 25% discount the musashi costs 132k coal) 

I do also have 980k free xp as well. Figure why not get the Mushashi, it seems like a great boat for tier 9. But what do you guys think?

Not sure how much you play each day & not enough details about your financial ability to convert free XP or if that was all saved from grinding...& if so how long was the grind (also the coal luck has no reference to where it came from).

I've never converted free XP but play enough that it builds fast enough that any ship I can get w/free XP I get & just save up for the next one (have all so far & saving for Alaska or whichever is next...222k so far & just bought Kron about 2 or 3 weeks ago during a clan battle) & therefore am saving coal for ships I can only get for coal (going for most expensive 1st...Salem...& will go for next most expensive after that) as I have no $ to purchase them...but do have Okt Rev & Aigle from events so don't have to worry about them.

If they announce a change in arsenal ships I will get Yubari before Salem as it was 1 of the 3 original ships & I've always wanted it but until that time will stick w/the most expensive 1st plan.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
799 posts
6,951 battles

Id get the Musashi with the Free XP personally as coal can be useful for the Salem. Though if you don't want that or other Coal based ships, then use your coal. There may be other Free XP ships like the T9 Ruskie Kronsdadt that you prefer more.

[SPTR]
Members
20,147 posts
6,037 battles

I think Musashi is a better ship than Salem as a premium ship, but I think you'd do better using FXP on her.

2 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

She is a T10 ship with T7 service costs, but not with any boosted credit gains that the Musashi has. While always top tier Salem is... rather meh, being a DM with a superheal but worse radar. Musashi is, dare I say it, overpowered: she is a T10 ship with less AA and slightly less accuracy (from a stupidly accurate ship) at Tier 9. This makes her extremely able to deal damage and stand her ground against Tier 10 ships, which means, due to the "high tiers more rewards" system means greater rewards for Musashi. 

However, Salem is the only ship that can be gotten with Coal and Coal alone. Should you enjoy playing DM I advise using FXP for Musashi instead, and grabbing Salem, she being about equal to DM (possibly better) while not putting a strain on your costs.

Do read LittleWhiteMouse's reviews on both ships, which can help you make the better choice. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,311 posts
11,186 battles
1 hour ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Somewhat similar situation. Used free xp to get Yamato. Then put DC mod on her. Now about to put Yamamoto on her and working on unique mod. 

Agreed with Flamu .....Mushashi....why?

Flamu's issue with Musashi is it's exactly the same play style as Yamato. Being a T9 it's going to see a majority of T10 matches anyway. His opinion was more along the lines of if you already have Yamato, why?

Flamu is a super unicum player who dislikes the Yamato to begin with. He has Yamato, and doesn't need a trainer. His opinion needs to be viewed in context.

I have exactly 3 IJN ships. Musashi, Shinonome, and a T3 prem who's name escapes me atm. I also have Yamamato at 19 points. I get to play the only tech tree IJN ship that interests me, with a legendary 19pt capt, without having to grind the entire IJN BB line. Musashi is a winner in my book.

• Cool 1

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles
25 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

Do read LittleWhiteMouse's reviews on both ships, which can help you make the better choice. 

+1 on that.  I'd bet you'll ultimately get the most bang for your buck from the ship you enjoy more/play better in, and LWM reviews are good ways to get an idea of that.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,375 posts
3,052 battles

You can earn a butt load of coal from containers, and free xp can be used to skip stock grinds. Made the choice pretty obvious for me

[WOLF2]
Members
289 posts
5,684 battles

Save both for Alaska (don't know what resource it'll cost).  Musashi isn't going anywhere, so it doesn't hurt to save your resources.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,049 posts

For those of us unlucky in this game, Special Upgrades have always been a fleeting thing to obtain until recently.

The 'chance' of getting one within the 'chance' of getting a supercontainer results in Spaghetti-O for the unlucky sort like me.  Meanwhile seeing folks scorn and complain about getting them in the forums, I treasure these items dearly.  Purchased two spotter mods during the fire/water event.  I don't need a Kamikaze-R.

Saw them in the 'Arsenal' and went nuts -- spent off all my coal as fast as it came in. 

I figure WG will realize their mistake and the availability of these mods will go away some morning when we don't expect.

I don't have a DC mod yet, but that would be awesome in a CV, where the DC has already been extended to insane lengths.  Think of the immune times to flooding and fire..  like half the freaking mission...   Throw that puppy onto the Kaga and go trolling those 8" secondaries with that battleship.

But to your question:  If you plan on going up the IJN BB line...  Don't get the Musashi..  Get that one if you DON'T want to grind that line.  This way, you are there already.  Another down side is that the Musashi can't be used in Ranked or Clan battles..  Yamato can.

If you have decided to get it, use Free XP.  You can use flags, camo, and certain ships to accelerate your FXP earnings.  Can't do this with coal.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,188 posts
14,844 battles
5 hours ago, Merlox said:

the Musashi for 132k coal is a deal 

save the free xp

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,197 battles
3 hours ago, LCPL4ever said:

Save both for Alaska (don't know what resource it'll cost).  Musashi isn't going anywhere, so it doesn't hurt to save your resources.  

Huh... good point. Forgot about the Alaska. I do have a solid dm captain for it if it's a good aa boat as well. 

The only ijn captain I have is the yamamato captain but he's completely specced for my akizuki / harekaze (both fantastic boats without ifhe now)

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,572 posts
32,643 battles

My 3 cents:

1.  If you want Alaska, don't spend your free XP.  Save it for Alaska.

2.  I personally wouldn't get Musashi with free XP or coal.  But thats because I have Yamato unlocked (not yet bought because I'm waiting on a sale).  I also have the HSF camo waiting for her from a past event.  Musashi has the same playstyle as Yamato, only a tier lower.  Not enough difference for me.  Your mileage may vary.  Especially depending on how far into the IJN BB line you are.

3.  I'm still undecided on Salem.

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,197 battles
41 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

1.  If you want Alaska, don't spend your free XP.  Save it for Alaska.

2.  I personally wouldn't get Musashi with free XP or coal.  But thats because I have Yamato unlocked (not yet bought because I'm waiting on a sale).  I also have the HSF camo waiting for her from a past event.  Musashi has the same playstyle as Yamato, only a tier lower.  Not enough difference for me.  Your mileage may vary.  Especially depending on how far into the IJN BB line you are.

So far in the ijn battleships I have a premium tier 2 and a premium tier 6 battleship. That's it! Lol. That's why I was considering about getting the mushashi. I'm sure I wouldn't be considering her if I had good progress in my ij. battleship line or had the Yamato. Kind of the same thing I'm running into with reasoning getting a Salem when I have a dm.

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles
23 minutes ago, Merlox said:

So far in the ijn battleships I have a premium tier 2 and a premium tier 6 battleship. That's it! Lol. That's why I was considering about getting the mushashi. I'm sure I wouldn't be considering her if I had good progress in my ij. battleship line or had the Yamato. Kind of the same thing I'm running into with reasoning getting a Salem when I have a dm.

I'd say branch out and try Musashi. You don't have any ship like her. If you end up loving her, you will have a good captain trainer for Yamato once you get there. 

Edit to answer your question- if you aren't going to be getting the Salem then get Musashi with coal. If you are planning to get Salem, use FXP. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,572 posts
32,643 battles
1 hour ago, Merlox said:

If I was in your shoes, I would get Musashi with coal and coupon.  Then save FXP for Alaska if you want her as well.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

I have been looking at the same boat for a month. 

My end decision after a similar thread was to keep the FXP for the Alaska, use Coal for the Salem and let the suckers get the Mushashi :-)