You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RenamedUser_1031931349

I am New 13 Random battles

45 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts

Just started tonight, I am Doing the British Cruiser Caledon now.

The ship is ok but was wondering Did I make the right choice in this line. 

A friend of mine got me interested in playing at the club we go to.

He suggested the British Line.

I am not impressed with it  The guns are small and the torpedos are awesome. I like how they hit hard.

But feel there is something more powerful out there, any suggestions?

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
64 posts
13,262 battles

Play all of the different nationalities.  They play differently.  Then decide what you like best.  Don't be afraid to change from one nationality to another.  The more you play, the more experience you get.  It will vary from tier to tier.  Also visit the world of warships wiki.  It will answer many questions that will arise.  I struggled when I first started.  Didn't even know it existed. 

• Cool 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,940 battles

Choosing a line is all about choosing what balance of traits you want, when played to their full potential any ship is* just as capable of influencing the battle as any other at its tier.

Cruiser lines are generally a good starting line for people, they're well-rounded and offer elements from all the other classes in a typically rather forgiving package. RN (Royal Navy: British) CLs (light cruisers) are something of an outlier in this regard. They're sort of a bridge between DDs (destroyers) and standard cruisers. They have INSANE acceleration and wonderful handling compared to most cruisers, plus smoke generators, early access to the RN's gimmick super heal, and RN-unique single-fire multi-tube torpedo launchers. That said, to balance this they are VERY squishy with paper armor and low hitpoints, plus they have no high-explosive rounds to deal with thick-skinned BBs (battleships) and the like.

They're a solid line and one that I rather like, but not one that I would recommend for a beginner. Better choices in that regard would probably be German or US cruisers, or if you're looking for more firepower one of the battleship lines.

*Note: This is assuming that every ship is perfectly balanced within its tier. While I feel WG's Warships team has a better track record than most of the griping on these forums would indicate, it's impossible to perfectly balance everything.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,770 posts
10,986 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

I foresee a name change in the near future......:Smile_glasses:

That and he should ditch the profile picture.

[PSP]
Members
8,201 posts
20 minutes ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

I am not impressed with it  The guns are small and the torpedos are awesome. I like how they hit hard.

I'd stick with the British Cruiser line. Wait until you get the Leander, it's a fine ship. And it just gets better from there. The Fiji is really fun and the Eidenburgh is a good tier VIII cruiser. I've not unlocked the Minotaur yet but if YouTube videos are any indication it can be amazing in the right hands

[NLIST]
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,310 posts
12,629 battles

Change the name and the profile pic - this isn't 4chan ......

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,495 posts
15,396 battles

Try learning your ships in co op first that's what it is there for.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,219 posts
11,765 battles
1 hour ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

I am Doing the British Cruiser Caledon now

try the France cruiser line, and check out the forum sub - France cruiser for more tips

Friant at t3 is nuts with hydro !!!

Second important

Look out to join a suitable clan as well, because you will get credit discount start at t5 for dd/cruiser/bb and CV - its further help. When the time is right, you should join in.

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi
  • Cool 1

[NLIST]
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,310 posts
12,629 battles
1 minute ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

try the France cruiser line, and check out the forum sub - France cruiser for more tips

Friant at t3 is nuts with hydro !!!

I have to agree, the French cruiser line was nice to play from the top to the bottom.  The DeGrasse as a tier 6 premium is a good trainer in that it mimics a lot of the same Captain skills you will use from the tier 7 on up. 

[IND8]
Members
70 posts
1,546 battles
1 hour ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

I also play the British Cruiser line. The ships get better, keep working at it.
But as already mentioned, you can have and play more then one ship at a time. Try a couple. And again as already mentioned, you might enjoy the French Cruiser line as well. I also play that one, and very much enjoy it :)
I would also recommend you try a Destroyer, since you mentioned you were enjoying Torpedoes.
Happy Sailing!

Members
653 posts

I have the British Line Finished to the Mino with a 19 pt Captain.

Although this line is unique it has the excitement factor, Watch the videos about how to make them work for you.

Most Players don't like the British Line for one reason or another but I find it exciting to play.

The Belfast is OP as hell and no longer available but I got it and love giving hell to everyone.

Haven't Played a Live server game in a few months hoping to get free Ships when I do come back.

I know I got a ton of flags and camos waiting from the PT server.

Its funny WG won't give the everyday players anything for their loyalty but will give it to those that ignore the game.

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles

German or Japanese cruisers to start with. I started my newbie brother with the german cruisers; he ended up liking the battleship line.

For now, stay away from destroyers until you fully understand the mechanics of the game.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,427 posts
6,050 battles

I'm going to disagree with most here and say the RN CLs are absolutely not a beginner-friendly line. I would suggest the German cruisers or BBs for beginners.  Yes they may teach some bad habits bc they're so tanky relative to other lines, but they're easier to play while learning the meta and fundamentals. 

• Cool 3

[FML]
Members
2,533 posts
12,070 battles
5 hours ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS.

With over 1000 battles in UK cruisers, I strongly encourage you to stop now and move onto a tech tree line that is more new player friendly.  You've essentially started with the hardest ships in the game, and the Tier 2-5 ships are garbage (possibly the worst in the game).  

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - as stated before, these ships are hard because they take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: Two types, British and German. 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

People on the Forums are always willing to lend a hand, so shout out if you have any questions. 

Good luck!

#StandardWords

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
705 posts
5,775 battles

I would start with Japanese cruisers or battleships or German cruisers. They are fine lines that are still popular for good reasons, they are both reliable and fun.

After you get one of those lines to T7 I would then start another line. Don't rush to T8+, you will enjoy the high tiers more if you take your time to get there.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,811 posts
7,053 battles
6 hours ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

You chose as I did, and I have to warn you that you have chosen a line which can be difficult and frustrating. You can't light things on fire, and if someone breathes on you wrong you are dead meat. Until you get smoke at Tier 5 (Emerald), you're very dependent on positioning and on having other ships to share the workload and take some hits for you. 

I don't want to discourage you from them, especially if you like a challenge and can deal with frustration easily, but if I were you, I would also pick a second cruiser line and start to climb it. Some of the missions to earn things in this game depend on lighting fires, and British cruisers cannot do that. All that being said, the Fiji is worth the grind when you get there.

My recommendations would be: American cruisers, American destroyers, British battleships. It's what I would do if I started all over again. I'd make British cruisers my side project.

Before too much longer we will have British destroyers, and they also appear right now to be something requiring a high skill level. 

As for carriers, they are most rewarding for a player who is very, VERY good at multitasking and at reacting quickly to things going bad. I would leave carriers well alone until you have a LOT more experience in the game.

You should also register for the Public Test, where you can play higher-tier ships of various nations for fun without affecting your routine stats.  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/public-test-078/ 

• Cool 1

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,796 battles

Welcome to the game.

Ill have to echo what has been said the British CL line is not new player friendly. They play the best if you yearn for death, they are DD killers and as such will be in the front usually in radar/torp range to accomplish this.

About the best line to start on imho is the American line, any of them. The American DDs are amazing do it all ships, the battleships are pretty straightforward / safe, and the cruisers are intuitive. Even their CVs are "easier" than their IJN counterparts, Not to mention the USN has some of the best and most numerous premiums. Branching out from here into other lines is a good place to start.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,811 posts
7,053 battles
16 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

They play the best if you yearn for death

:Smile_teethhappy:

They're not THAT bad, although it sometimes feels like it, and a fatalistic attitude does sometimes help. 

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
4,780 posts
2,703 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

They're not THAT bad, although it sometimes feels like it, and a fatalistic attitude does sometimes help. 

Yes they are.  The RN cruiser line is fun if you learned to swim by being thrown in the deep end of the pool.  And enjoyed it.

OP, just at the start, all the cruiser lines have real weaknesses.  I would suggest trying more than one.

[FACT]
Members
402 posts
3,957 battles

Welcome to the game. Just curious here, but how many games out of 13 have you won? More than 50%? If so, just wait. The losing streaks will come.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,811 posts
7,053 battles
8 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yes they are.

I was a newbie and knew no better; I thought they must all be this hard. That being said, Emerald was purgatory, but Leander was a breath of fresh air afterwards and Fiji I have now played so much as to have ground her twice over.