You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Premium Ship Purchases Should Be Qualified

56 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
243 posts
10,333 battles

I know that WG is in business to make money, and every premium ship sold is $$$ in their pockets.  And I'm sure what I'm about to say has been said on the forum many times over but after a battle tonight I have to say it again.

I was in my Cleveland in a T8 co-op battle.  The team was over 50% bots, and there was only one BB on the team, a Massachusetts.  I made a comment in chat to play smart and stay alive until the bots did their thing.  The comment was not answered, and our Massachusetts followed a bot DD and two bot CLs into B cap.  All four of the ships were quickly eliminated.  I was the last ship alive on our team, and managed to take out two enemy CLs before the full HP enemy Massachusetts engaged and quickly killed me.  All the while the dead friendly Massachusetts was calling me a coward (and worse) in chat for not going into the cap with him.

So after the battle I looked up the guys stats.  He is a relatively new player and has two other BBs in his port.  One is the South Carolina with a 42% win rate in randoms, the other is a Wyoming with a 40% win rate in randoms.  His average total damage is a little over 10K.  Obviously, he still has a lot to learn and should stick with T3/T4 for several more battles and work his way up the tech tree.

But instead he's bought himself a Massachusetts and has begun to play her.  He has one random battle in the ship which happens to be a win.  I would expect he will become frustrated playing her and will question his decision to buy the ship.  I would also expect he is a prime candidate to quit the game out of frustration.  

It would seem to me that player retention is the way for WG to maximize revenue.  I would think that not selling a ship to someone that is obviously inexperienced and unqualified to sail her would be in the best interest of WG.  It would make a lot of sense to limit a person's ability to  purchase a premium ship to the tiers that he/she has reached by grinding up the tech tree.  They could also have a way to issue a 'rain check' so a player does not miss out on a sale price because he has not yet reached the tier of the ship on sale.

Your thoughts?

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,265 posts
5,821 battles

Well there's no guarantee that said player would even make it past tier 5 before quitting the game altogether if that player ignores chat and insults everyone else after being sunk. The player might even leave sooner when finding out that they cannot buy whatever ship they want in the premium shop without having to play however many games it would take to even get there.

So might as well let them buy those expensive ships and consider it as a donation to WG in keeping this game alive.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,418 battles

You're complaining that a guy ruined a co-op match?

You could put a qualification on that people need to play one trillion battles and that wouldn't ensure that those players are even semi-competent. My thoughts are that even with as little a do as this is, it's still far too much a do about far too little.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

There's no guaranteed way to judge player "skill", and even if there was the backlash to using that to bar people from buying premiums would be immediate and fierce. Not going to happen.

• Cool 1

Members
939 posts

Report him

I encourage new players or those that are not good enough yet to play co op and watch YouTube videos.

But talking junk to you is outrageous in co op.  Report him. 

[KNTI2]
Members
885 posts
6,042 battles

The problem is that it will usually take BOTH non-premium and premium players hundreds of hours to reach tier VIII, and there's no guarantee they'd learn how to play by that point anyway.

> co-op

The ironic thing is that co-op is supposed to be where people go to learn, not be a bother for PVP players at high tier play, or otherwise not be confrontational.

[DENY]
Members
679 posts
7,211 battles

With player like that playing the mass it make my 60% win rate a Unicum , the mass is my favorite ship soo far , I don't mind bad player as long they are on the red team so I can seal club them,

[DENY]
Members
679 posts
7,211 battles
3 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

I watched a pair of them crash n' burn this week. It seems to be the new my-first-premium instead of Tirpitz now. Thank God he was in co-op where he could do no harm.

They burn well like any BB , me and my buddy run sometime a duo of Mass it make the enemy turn back sometime when it start raining and that they didn't see it coming  when top tier it a monster , even bottom tier it a threat

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,155 posts
8,061 battles

A bit tough to qualify whether someone's an ******* when regarding premium purchases.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,747 posts
10,984 battles

I would rather see these players in co-op where their getting hammered into dust will have less impact on the match.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,483 posts
15,370 battles

@Joe_918145 How is it your business to comment on how any other player spends their money? He harassed you Report him in a support ticket!

Oh yea remember This Is A Game!

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
3,699 posts

My complaint would be the guy was abusive in chat.

As far as the Mass? Coop is where your supposed to learn. Lighten up, it's only coop

Members
708 posts
6,169 battles

I agree. Too many times have good matches gone to crap because of some prem player in a tier VIII ship having no clue what he is doing in his boat. Just the other day I got unfortunate enough to have an Atago on my team who didn't know he couldnt sail broadside to an Iowa which was less than 10km away, gotta get those torps off right...

It is really disappointing to get an L because of players like this. 

I was also fortunate enough to get on the team of some captain in a Salem recently. Dude was sailing into friendlies, cutting people's bows and just showing he had no care in the world about playing well. After seeing where he was positioned near the end of the match and seeing how he was playing, I decided to take a look at his stats. Dude had 4 ships total. An atago, a Mass, his salem and an Erie. Every stat in every category was red. Dude has 4 boats. 3 prems, all high tier and hasnt even tried getting out of tier I yet he is playing in high tier matches. Wargaming sees nothing wrong with this? Got more curious to the other accounts with the same name but just a number off...IE Crapcaptain1, Crapcaptain2...etc. The other accounts were a mirror copy. These accounts should be banned, every last one of them. 

It would be nice if players couldnt buy premium ships higher in tier than the highest standard ship researched in his port or if premium tiers were unlocked by reaching certain player ratings...the higher the prem, the higher the player rating required.

This talk generally gets you classified as an elitist jerk, however in the cases I've explaned...so be it. I'd rather have more quality teammates backing me up.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
468 posts
5,348 battles

"It's alive!"

Again!

I like how it's about the travails of a T8 Cleveland and Massachusetts this time, since a little updating to a necro'd topic is a must.

I too would like to see tech tree OR premium requirements before buying the new ship (e.g. you have the ship class in the previous Tier). But it's not too likely. 

I'd also like a 20 co-op match trial where you buy the boat but don't accrue any experience until you play your first random; and then of course, it's all yours.

But these and other ideas to whittle down thoughtless scrubs haven't been chosen, because they restrict the freedoms of the purchaser and the company offering them for sale.

So rejoice! The 10 battles, 30%wr potato is on your team!

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
12,869 battles

Sometimes there is good reason to purchase a ship that is over your skill level.  Like significantly  discounted prices like we just had, or a premium that is clearly OP.  My advice to those players is to just play it in co-op or keep  it as a port queen until they have the skill to play it in randoms.  Therefore, I see nothing wrong here.

In most cases it should be a self-correcting problem as it is not fun at all to play a ship that constantly gets you wrecked before you can make a decent contribution to the team.

Members
708 posts
6,169 battles
20 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

I honestly see nothing wrong with the OP s example of the noob playing Mass in the COOp.

The chat is what should have been reported

I agree. If a guy is in Co Op, leave him be. That is a good place to go and test captain builds, tactics and just practice ships in generally. However, the examples I listed above were in Random Battles. I know you did't question that or anything, I just wanted to make it clear. Being in Random Battles, it hurt even more. When it happens in Co Op or Ops, it is annoying. When it happens in Randoms, it just hurts. Especially when you have were having a fantastic game.

Members
939 posts
15 minutes ago, smf117 said:

I agree. If a guy is in Co Op, leave him be. That is a good place to go and test captain builds, tactics and just practice ships in generally. However, the examples I listed above were in Random Battles. I know you did't question that or anything, I just wanted to make it clear. Being in Random Battles, it hurt even more. When it happens in Co Op or Ops, it is annoying. When it happens in Randoms, it just hurts. Especially when you have were having a fantastic game.

OMG You have a point with Randumb.   Ranked will be very funny. 

[2347]
Members
307 posts
6,631 battles

The real issue here isn't the ship or even the gameplay, it's someone being a jerk in chat. If someone new to the game (or otherwise) wants to buy a ship way beyond his or her skills and play Co-Op with it, I have zero issues with that...but rude behavior is just wrong.

Members
708 posts
6,169 battles
1 minute ago, _Starbuck said:

The real issue here isn't the ship or even the gameplay, it's someone being a jerk in chat. If someone new to the game (or otherwise) wants to buy a ship way beyond his or her skills and play Co-Op with it, I have zero issues with that...but rude behavior is just wrong.

I've got a pretty thick skin. It takes more than someone calling me names in a game chat to get under my skin. I'd rather have a someone who knows what they are doing in their ship talking crap in chat than someone in a premium ship at a tier they arent ready for. They can talk trash all they want as long as they arent costing me a W.

Members
708 posts
6,169 battles
3 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

If someone wants to pay money to get their aft handed to them on repeat let them.

Not at the cost of other people's experience.