Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DrHolmes52

Captain question

14 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
4,780 posts
2,703 battles

If you have a captain in the Chester, and move him to the St. Louis, is there a penalty involved?

I read the wiki and there is a statement about moving the captain out of the tech tree.  Does that mean changing the class of ship?

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers.

And non-helpful ones if they are funny.

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If you have a captain in the Chester, and move him to the St. Louis, is there a penalty involved?

I read the wiki and there is a statement about moving the captain out of the tech tree.  Does that mean changing the class of ship?

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers.

And non-helpful ones if they are funny.

If you move the captain from the Chester to the St Louis, then you are changing the captain's tech tree assignment, so there will be retraining. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Retraining_Commanders

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles

Only during the retraining period. You will get the option to skip the entire period (not reommmended unless you have a very high level captain), skip half of it with credits (not a bad choice), or skip nothing. The more experienced the captain is the longer the retraining period will be. Once he's retrained there will be no penalty on the skills. As a general rule of thumb, skills that get penalized are usually the ones with values (like expert marksman), and they get a 50% penalty. Skills that don't have values (like priority target) usually just don't work while retraining. Hope that helps. 

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

You have to retrain him.  While he is retraining his skills are either not available (if its a either/or skill) or half effective.  You can do this instantly for 500 doubloons.  If you have a premium ship of the same nation you can use the captain on that ship with no penalty on the captain's skills until he has reached the amount of experience that trains him for the St. Louis.  If you are free to play or don't have a premium ship of the same nation you have the option of reducing the xp cost in half by paying 200k credits.  If you can afford it this is the way to go (or the premium ship route but that costs real money).  It is generally recommended to move your captain up the line as you move up the line.  That way you get to a max xp captain sooner and can then use the xp he earns to train other captains (this is called elite commander xp).

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
4,780 posts
2,703 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you move the captain from the Chester to the St Louis, then you are changing the captain's tech tree assignment, so there will be retraining. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Retraining_Commanders

Thank you.  The phrase "tech tree assignment" was confusing me. 

[PVE]
Members
14,981 posts
9,575 battles
10 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Thank you.  The phrase "tech tree assignment" was confusing me. 

You are welcome. As others have noted above, you have three options for the captain retraining. Premium ships can help with retraining as you don't have to retrain a captain when you move him to a premium ship. All skills work fully in the premium ship for a captain that is retraining and the XP in the premium ship counts for retraining. If you get a premium ship, purchased or in an event, and that premium ship comes with a captain, the first time you switch that premium ship captain to a tech tree ship, there will be retraining as well. If you end up with multiple premium ships for one nation, you can move the captain through the premium ships for captain training and retraining. Premium ships are not the end all tho. You can play without them just fine as you can use co-op for retraining while the skills are not working fully. Definitely decide if you love the game before spending money on it and look over reviews of premium ships before you spend real money on one. But there are a few events a year where you can earn a premium ship in game, so keep an eye out for those.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,467 posts
15,386 battles

Multiple issues that get magnified as you move up in higher tier ships. If you move the captain and keep the same skills, he needs retraining or you can use doubloons or credits to train him immediately so his skills are fully useful. Some captains skills are negated or are only 50% of the stated skill until enough xp is generated to make his skills whole again.

If you want to change his skills you have to use doubloons or elite captains xp which you get after a 19 point captain. 

Conceivably, there are two costs to moving a captain, making his skills whole again, and changing skills.  

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,219 posts
11,765 battles
57 minutes ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

Where do you get a Captain?

When you buying a new ship, they always come with an option of recruiting a new capt or not. Normally, we click yes as default.

Alternatively, if you bough the ship without a captain, you can click on the ship portrait, then on the top right corner, in Port screen, and then click the blank, an option for recruit a captain.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,427 posts
6,050 battles
34 minutes ago, Buster_Hyman_2 said:

I looked and I don't have any captains or portraits. I have a Caledon and no captain on it, none of my ships have one. 

In the top right corner of the dock you should see "recruit commander". Click that and choose either the free one with no skills or 7500 silver for 1 skill. 

Members
7 posts
11 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

In the top right corner of the dock you should see "recruit commander". Click that and choose either the free one with no skills or 7500 silver for 1 skill. 

I found the captains in the service record I needed to be lvl7

Sign in to follow this