You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BarronRichthofen

Tier VIII Matchmaking

51 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,497 battles

SO at least in game there is plenty of hatred for Tier VIII matchmaking. 8 of 10 games your bottom tier with only one or two other Tier VIII's in game. A simple solution to this issue would for WG to make Tier X's have a one tier down max.  There are enough players who have Tier X ships to not too adversely affect their wait times and would allow those playing Tier VIII's to not be overmatched in every game.

Just a suggestion that would make many happy.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles

It's just part of tier 8. It's no big deal, and you get used to it. I often finish at least halfway in the team and have no problems getting up to 5th place and above consistently. You also get more XP from shooting the higher tier ships. 

Edit- WG isn't going to change it, they want people playing tier 10, so why not get used to it? They're forcing tier 10 down everyone's throat for a reason. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles

I just quit playing all my ships above t7.  Problem is solved.

• Cool 6

Members
5,448 posts
6,162 battles

This probably wouldn't have quite the effect you're hoping for.

A large part of the reason why T8 gets dragged up into T10 heavy games is due to the lack of T9 ships sitting in queue. If you've ever noticed, lots of T10 matches consist of mosty T10, with a fair amount of T8 and maybe a couple of T9s. Also, you should notice that at T8, they're often not middle tier either, and if you do get into a middle tier match with a T8 ship, there's generally only 4-6 T9s present in the match.

T9 just apparently isn't popular enough for people to keep playing that tier, so T8 ends up being needed to 'fill out' T10 games(filling out T10 games isn't necessary in my opinion. If there are 18-20 T10s in queue, then give them their own T10 only match). So T8 ends up either being bottom tiered in a T10 heavy match or top tier in a perceived rare T8 match, with a sparse sprinkling of T9 matches every once in a while.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
10,002 posts
28,121 battles

The T9 problem is even worse now that people have curtailed DD play in the high tiers.

[5D]
Members
2,710 posts
16,222 battles

The simple answer is learn to play your ship then adjust your strategy for whether you are top or bottom tier. It's really not that hard to make a positive contribution if you know how to do that. Problem solved.

• Cool 1

Members
5,448 posts
6,162 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

The T9 problem is even worse now that people have curtailed DD play in the high tiers.

Well, that and hearsay is that T9 is littered with bad ships. And a lot of them, I feel, are simply overshadowed by the T10.(Mino overshadows Neptune, for example)

While it's true that some T9 ships aren't good, it's also true that some are great. Iowa/Missouri(not in my opinion, but they're popular), Fletcher, Yuugumo, (soon to be)Kitakaze, Roon, Musashi, Kronshtad, Z-46, etc.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,456 posts
15,368 battles
23 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

SO at least in game there is plenty of hatred for Tier VIII matchmaking. 8 of 10 games your bottom tier with only one or two other Tier VIII's in game. A simple solution to this issue would for WG to make Tier X's have a one tier down max.  There are enough players who have Tier X ships to not too adversely affect their wait times and would allow those playing Tier VIII's to not be overmatched in every game.

Play ten games in a row with the same ship, don't log off, don't change ships. You will be top, mid and bottom tier in any combination of 3,3 and 4. Switching ships and logging off resets the counter to give the feeling its always bottom tier. I have tested this dozens of times.

[_-_]
Members
2,018 posts

Tier 8 can be immensely frustrating, but there is an up side.

When you take a Hipper or Atago into a T10 match and hammer the heck out of a Des Moines or Hindenburg it's a great feeling. Cleveland and Kutuzov can burn down any BB if you live long enough.

A lot of times it feels like "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha, but there is no shame in fighting the good fight.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,620 posts
10,631 battles

No.

I like playing my Akizuki against some T10 BB. 

My Charles Martel and Prinz Eugen can quite comfortably burn down and even punish some broadside scrubs.

My Chappy can annoy DD like mad thanks to her concealment and long range radar.

T8 is fine

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,732 posts
10,984 battles
57 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

Lert's 100 match test of the tier 8 MM while not definitive disagrees with you. His results - 

37% top tier battles
18% tier 9 battles
45% tier 10 battles

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,504 posts
6,157 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Lert's 100 match test of the tier 8 MM while not definitive disagrees with you. His results - 

37% top tier battles
18% tier 9 battles
45% tier 10 battles

I got similar results when I ran my own experiment.

But just within the last couple weeks it seems like my games are about 85% Tier 10.  I’m going to have to start keeping track again.

Members
4,724 posts
8,089 battles
50 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

The simple answer is learn to play your ship then adjust your strategy for whether you are top or bottom tier. It's really not that hard to make a positive contribution if you know how to do that. Problem solved.

Great!  How you do that? You kinda left that out. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-1]
Members
301 posts
4,921 battles

For me some tier 8 ships hold well but some struggle; Alabama and Bismarck work fine but Cleaveland or Loyang is a pain to play.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,697 posts

It's not about being able to figure out how to play bottom tier. It's about how tiring it is to be the at the bottom match after match. Look, there are two other T8 ships in the team, everyone else is T10. That gets old fast. I have not gotten past T8 because it's not fun to play; whether I can do so or not is moot

• Cool 1

Members
855 posts
3,736 battles

The t8 ships are strong enough to win with in t10. Just because your guns don't hurt the most, or you don't have the best ship doesn't mean anything, skill > ship.....

I have had better luck in my t8s in the t10 matches for whatever reason because every time I get high tier in a t8 match my entire team is full of bads.....

[5D]
Members
2,710 posts
16,222 battles
12 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Great!  How you do that? You kinda left that out. :Smile_teethhappy:

Shouldn't need to explain it to any in a T8 ship :Smile_popcorn:

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,497 battles

I did not bring this up because I have an issue with MM at Tier VIII. I brought it up because of those players who get their first Tier VII Cruiser (NON Premium) and find their 40k HP can be 1 salvoed from the Yammy across the map.  Or their NC and it's 27km Guns spotter planes ect ect don't mean crapto the Z-52 Spaming a torp salvo every 33 sec. Or the Wall of trops a Shimi can dish out. The Stalinium rounds from the Stalingrad or Moskva. The endless HE spam from American Cruisers and DD's or Being Citadeled by a Hindenburg.

It's a little much for a player, however experienced he may be, to get a heavy amount of Tier X matches in his first Tier VIII ship. Players do stop progression because of the imbalance. I got past the Tier VIII hump before it was Tier X matches most of the time. I did have matches with Tier X's but it was 4 or 5 per side at most.  Now it's usually 1 or 2 Tier VIII's thrown in with 10 or 11 Tier X's. If WG wanted to put together a complex MM they could resolve the imbalance in other ways. But a simple -1 cap for Tier X's would be FAR simpler to implement.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,697 posts
1 minute ago, BarronRichthofen said:

I did not bring this up because I have an issue with MM at Tier VIII. I brought it up because of those players who get their first Tier VII Cruiser (NON Premium) and find their 40k HP can be 1 salvoed from the Yammy across the map.  Or their NC and it's 27km Guns spotter planes ect ect don't mean crapto the Z-52 Spaming a torp salvo every 33 sec. Or the Wall of trops a Shimi can dish out. The Stalinium rounds from the Stalingrad or Moskva. The endless HE spam from American Cruisers and DD's or Being Citadeled by a Hindenburg.

It's a little much for a player, however experienced he may be, to get a heavy amount of Tier X matches in his first Tier VIII ship. Players do stop progression because of the imbalance. I got past the Tier VIII hump before it was Tier X matches most of the time. I did have matches with Tier X's but it was 4 or 5 per side at most.  Now it's usually 1 or 2 Tier VIII's thrown in with 10 or 11 Tier X's. If WG wanted to put together a complex MM they could resolve the imbalance in other ways. But a simple -1 cap for Tier X's would be FAR simpler to implement.

I haven't gotten past the hump yet. I'm not trying anymore. It's not fun

[WOLFB]
Members
2,620 posts
10,631 battles
3 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

I see no difference in this statement between T8 and T10. At T7 any CA or BB who gives broadside can be insta deleted even from long range because BB guns are slowly becoming more and more accurate. Shiratsuyu and Akatsuki can "spam" and create wall of torps the same way Shima or Z-52 does. HE spam is present at every tier. If people managed to pass T6 and T7 they should have learn by now how to play while being bottom tier. After all it's not like almost all T6 player are complaining always facing T8 and at the same tier, T8 player always complaining about facing T10.

3 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

If people stop their progression at T8 it's just a waste. If your goal is to reach a specific ship then it's fine (When German BB line came out, my prime target was to lay my hand on Bismarck. I unlocked her and now I stop grinding the line) but if you want to have a T10, you just wasted your time and effort. Being bottom tier can be annoying but if you're grinding, shooting at T10 DD in a T8 ship is greatly rewarded. With premium and camo, it can be pretty fast, providing that you already know how to play when you're bottom tier.

The best way to fix that "unbalance" MM would be to put +/- 1 at every tier. But the drawback would be those long queue. And those long queue would just create stupid games like 4 vs 4 since MM would force a match

[RKLES]
Members
8,959 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

t8s can normally hold there own against 10s for the most part from what I can tell. 

And actually some tier 8s are preferable to their tier 10 counterparts.

[SKI]
Members
13 posts
1,907 battles
55 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

It's not about being able to figure out how to play bottom tier. It's about how tiring it is to be the at the bottom match after match. Look, there are two other T8 ships in the team, everyone else is T10. That gets old fast. I have not gotten past T8 because it's not fun to play; whether I can do so or not is moot

I'm with you 100%. I've been trying to grind to get my first Tier X ship, but I'm currently stuck at Tier VIII because I can only take so many matches of being up tiered.

Earlier today I played 10 matches in my Mogami. I was in a Tier X battle 8 out of 10 times and in two of those I was the ONLY Tier VIII ship.

It's straight up NOT fun to play Tier VIII. Period.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,611 posts
14,844 battles

If one can't carry their weight in a bottom tier T8, then in all likelihood they can't carry their weight in a top tier T10.  The big difference is that in the former, the failure often won't lead to a team loss.  In the latter, failure often does lead to a loss. 

• Cool 1