You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

TYL Try YOUR Luck - Time to remove from game?

15 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,812 posts

Yes I know that's not likely to happen... but would it not make more sense since we have so many choices now to simply remove that as an option. Insert the random chance of something (ahem) "super" into all the other options. 

Bring it back when, if ever, it can become "Super!" again. 

That's all - thanks. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

All the other options do have a chance at an SC. The TYL one gives you less rewards for the non-SC for a greater chance of getting one. It's the only option I choose. Why do you hate choices? Don't like TYL? Don't pick it.

• Cool 5

[RLGN]
Members
10,339 posts
19,648 battles

Don't have any issue with it. Only take it one out of three (now one out of four with the new recource container,) picks anyway, (the pattern I use to choose which container; basically all of them in the same repeating order.)

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,418 battles

What gain is there in getting rid of it? What is lost in keeping it? What is lost by not getting rid of it?

I think the answer to all 3 of those questions is "very little" which leads me to suggest that nothing really needs to be done. It'll just make people upset over the "loosing options" outlook.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,812 posts

I think what bugs me about it is I have never, ever gotten anything other than the 4 signal flag reward when trying it. It's kinda getting a tad cluttered too...  maybe once when they first started I got something from it... but the rest of the SC i've ever got was via the other options. 

So considering the odds of it being anything but four signal flags, I just don't see it as anything special. I dunno how many people actually take that option, considering the high percentage of times you don't get a SC... 

But hey,  you're right, I only need NOT to select it. 

I'm gonna go for resources from now on. 

[PSP]
Members
8,183 posts
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yes I know that's not likely to happen... but would it not make more sense since we have so many choices now to simply remove that as an option. Insert the random chance of something (ahem) "super" into all the other options. 

That's all - thanks. 

TYL doubles the chance for a SC from about 1.5% to 3% or so. In personal experience, I can confirm this because I get a SC once every 30 tries or so. Admittedly, SCs used to pay off handsomely. However, they still pay well. Here's what I got in my last five SCs:

• 7 days Premium
  • 30 Days Premium
  • 100 anti-det flags
  • 100 XP flags
  • 50k free XP.

To tell you the truth, the excitement of just getting a supercontainer far outweighs the prize inside.

Let's look at the math for just flags.

Odds are, in 100 tries you are going to get 3 supercontainers for 300 flags. You also will get 97 * 4 = 388 other flags, for a total of 688 flags.

Without a SC, you are going to get 12 * 100 = 1200 flags.

Flag-wise it doesn't make much sense. However, that 37 days of Premium time I got is worth far more than flags. I've unlocked the Des Moines, the Montana and am going to unlock the Worcester tonight if I can stay up long enough. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,214 posts
14,270 battles

Eventually, there will be people with too much coal, along with too many flags and credits. This option will be waiting for them.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,812 posts
9 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Eventually, there will be people with too much coal, along with too many flags and credits. This option will be waiting for them.

You know that's true... everyone and their brother is likely taking resources instead of other options... if they run into that situation where there's too much coal, would you expect the price of things in coal to go up? 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,643 posts
7,006 battles
9 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Eventually, there will be people with too much coal,

If you don't have a Salem and a Musashi, you can never have too much coal. :Smile_teethhappy:

[187]
Members
1,328 posts
8,034 battles

Pulled a super container last night...50k free xp...I'll take it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,407 posts
14,771 battles

I have got north of 30 SC's since I started playing WOWS in Dec 2016 (didn't keep track of them at 1st - best guestimate is approx. 36-38). I have got 27 since I started keeping a log of when, what I got, and what option I used. 18 of those 27 have been TYL. I would like to keep it as an option LOL.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

For the last like half year of playing I picked TYL almost every time. Many supercontainers!

Beta Testers
1,607 posts
9,864 battles
21 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

That's all - thanks. 

19 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

What gain is there in getting rid of it? What is lost in keeping it? What is lost by not getting rid of it?

I think the answer to all 3 of those questions is "very little" which leads me to suggest that nothing really needs to be done. It'll just make people upset over the "loosing options" outlook.

To be fair to Herr_Reitz, the way I read the above is that he was under the impression that the only choice giving you a "random chance of something (ahem) 'super'" was to pick Try You Luck.  Of course, that comes with reduced rewards when it fails to return a Super Container, which is a huge percentage of the time.  Thus, what he appears to be suggesting is that the benefit of TYL (the chance for a Super Container) be rolled into the other choices so you still get a chance for an SC without the reduced rewards of TYL.  In that context, he was not just asking that TYL be removed.  He was thinking that giving the other options the chance at an SC would make TYL unnecessary.

The problem is, of course, that the other choices already have a small chance of returning a Super Container.  TYL just increases that small chance by a hair but at the cost of the additional goodies the other choices.

People have addressed that misconception, but it was only fair to point out he wasn't asking to remove options, just to roll the benefits of that option in the other choices.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,572 posts
32,635 battles

I've been picking TYL since August of last year.  However, since the release of the More Resources containers, I've been choosing that.  More Resources is a better option for me than TYL.

Beta Testers
1,607 posts
9,864 battles

I generally pick TYL from time to time just to remind myself why I don't pick TYL.  However, it does pay off occasionally just to suck you in.  For instance, I was away from the game for a few months, and when I came back recently, I got my first container pick, and I thought, what the heck.  It has been a while since I have been disappointed by this, so I tried TYL.  I got a Super Container.  The next one,  I thought, "Well, that doesn't help remind me why I don't take this option often," so I went with it again.  I got a Super Container.   Of course, I knew the third time was virtually guaranteed to be a normal container, but, you know, you have to try, so I did.  It was.

So the universe is back in harmony, the apocalypse has been averted, and I can pick my normal "More Consumables."

• Cool 1