You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SayWhatAgainMF

Please help me Identify this ship

10 comments in this topic

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
21 posts
4,737 battles

Good day all, 

I have recently found a pile of old negative pictures from my great grand-father and after submitting them to the Historical Society of my hometown due to the significance of a lot of them, they came along a picture of a warship, unidentified.

The location on the picture is on the St-Lawrence river in between Quebec City (across the river). The picture was taken from the southern shore (city of Lévis).

So anyway, judging by the picture we can almost clearly see the British naval ensign at the stern.

The picture was taken in August 1919 so right after the Great War.

Judging by the smoke stacks and the number of portholes and turrets and the masts, it seems to me like it is the HMS Renown 1918 refit version.

So the first picture is my great grand-father's one, the second picture is from Wikipedia so basically the Renown circa 1918, the third image is the Renown blueprints 1918 version and the last picture is the Sister ship HMS Repulse. 

I would like to know your opinion if you think I am wrong to suspect it is one of the two ships, HMS Renown or HMS Repulse and why.

Of course I will most definitely end up looking at the city's Archive to try and find the port's logs from that era and have a definitive answer to give the historical society. In the meantime, your help would be most appreciated.

The picture is compressed on the forum and is only 197kb so if you would like to see the original picture please leave me a message in private and I will send it to you.

Thank you

thumbnail_IP25_NNGF_1513_18908.jpg

Renown-4.jpg

hms-renown-1918-battlecruiser.png

Repulse-1.jpg

Members
47 posts
4,386 battles

Certainly looks very similar, although in your great grandfather's photo I can't make out a rear turret-did it get removed at some point?  Could just be that I'm missing it though.  Great photo!

• Cool 1

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,217 posts
3,876 battles

The top photo is Renown.  There are several clear things that indicate that:

1.  The position of the two life rafts on the forward superstructure.  Repulse doesn't have those and does have one stored vertically on the aft stack between the searchlights.  The later isn't present, while the former are.

2. The double stacked platform decks on the superstructure just ahead of, and alongside, the forward funnel along with the tubular structure in the middle of them.

3.  The presence of a small cupola on top of the spotting top.

Those are sufficient to ID the ship as Renown.

• Cool 3

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,469 posts
10,550 battles

I believe it  is the Renown, but there is a canvas over the turret to provide shade for the crew in the hotter regions, where I believe this picture was taken.

Modder
1,184 posts

If I remember correctly, Repulse was in refit from December 1918 and was only recommissioned in 1921 so it can't possibly be Repulse.

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles
29 minutes ago, Call_of_the_Mastodon said:

Certainly looks very similar, although in your great grandfather's photo I can't make out a rear turret-did it get removed at some point?  Could just be that I'm missing it though.  Great photo!

It's under the awning at the back of the ship. I'm guessing it was tea time so the Brits broke out their tents on the stern.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
21 posts
4,737 battles

The following cruiser seems to be the HMS Dragon which would fit the logs I linked above if you look at August 29th 1919

mpl1200.jpg.9b8009abfdd7b2c6bdfce60613246ad0.jpg

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,217 posts
3,876 battles
5 hours ago, SayWhatAgainMF said:

The following cruiser seems to be the HMS Dragon which would fit the logs I linked above if you look at August 29th 1919

mpl1200.jpg.9b8009abfdd7b2c6bdfce60613246ad0.jpg

It is Dragon.  Renown and Dragon were both in Canada as part of a royal tour by the Prince of Wales at the time.  Dragon's sister ship with the same hanger mod, Dauntless, was in the Baltic dealing with the Russian Civil War at the time.