Steel_Panzer

Is this possible false positive "Torjan Horse" launcher

11 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
350 battles

I have  "immunet" anti-virus on my computer.

Today it detected "WoWLauncher.exe" as a Clam.Win.Trojan.Generic-6629276-0"

I am not that great with computer at all so questions is

1.  Is this exe from World of Warship?  Is this the Launcher for World of Warship.  If so I may not be so worry at least I know World of Warship.

2.  Is this a false positive? Should I be concern. 

3.  Have anyone had similar experience with this. 

4.  What should I do? 

[SF-A]
Members
3,018 posts
6,405 battles

WoWS can appear threatening to some antivirus programs. Just make sure you're downloading from the official site and you should be fine.

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
350 battles

o.k. guys it look like it is the World of Warship launcher.  Immunet quanantine it and I cannot start WoWS until restored the exe using the feature of Immunet. 

But still like to know why it is being flag as a trojan horse and should I be concern. 

Edited by Steel_Panzer

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

All programs that attempt to access the internet use "ports" to do so.  All online games do this, and depending on how they do it can trigger antivirus programs.  If you are certain the program in question is WoWs (downloaded from official site) then you don't have anything to worry about.  You may need to adjust some settings in your AV to avoid this in the future but I'm not familiar with that one so can't help there.  It is typically your firewall that has the issue though so you might want to just delete it and reinstall from the website a fresh version.

Edited by mrh308

[CK5]
Members
1,016 posts
9,028 battles

Malwarebytes used to flag the launcher on my computer until I made an exception for it under Malwarebytes settings.  I also started requiring my anti-virus software to ask me before it quarantines anything.  

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles

Still rather interesting though how WOWs triggers the security on computers when other games do not.  Perhaps it is just  because their company is not as well recognized compared some some other companies?

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,989 battles
28 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Still rather interesting though how WOWs triggers the security on computers when other games do not.  Perhaps it is just  because their company is not as well recognized compared some some other companies?

Oh there's been other games hit with false positives. It's not exclusive to wg by any means.

I use Bitdefender which is rated #1 & it never has any issues with WG stuff.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
7,533 posts
13,813 battles

I don't use an antivirus and haven't had a problem in the 3 years since I built this computer.

Supertester
3,005 posts
10,086 battles
1 hour ago, Steel_Panzer said:

o.k. guys it look like it is the World of Warship launcher.  Immunet quanantine it and I cannot start WoWS until restored the exe using the feature of Immunet. 

But still like to know why it is being flag as a trojan horse and should I be concern. 

As some others have explained in different contexts ie: using ports and being flagged, etc. Some antivirus programs even flag "antivirus" programs as being malicious.

For instance, a long time ago, in a PC far away, I used to use AVG. While it was good for free antivirus at the time it didn't give me all the bells and whistles. So as a gift, I was given a year subscription to Panda, though I still kept my AVG as a secondary and figured what could it hurt?

Well, Panda flagged AVG and AVG flagged Panda, each as a malicious virus (spyware, malware, possible trojan, etc.). This was I think back in 2010 or so, but still to this day programs like Norton, McAfee can and sometimes do flag and quarantine other antivirus software despite the software being perfectly safe.

I am speaking a little out of my pay grade here now when I say that I think what triggers the flagging of what I said above (antivirus to antivirus) is the permissions granted (beyond what we can normally see), where the programs are embedded within the system and what the algorithm of the antivirus themselves are set out to look for it: programs that are designed to embed, take over, screen, etc 

Hope that clarifies a bit and if someone has more knowledge on why an antivirus flags another, maybe they'll chime in.