You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
njroc

The next Season of Rank

79 comments in this topic

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,343 battles

Based on what I read in the latest news on the next rank season, it is going to be for Tier 10 only.  It is a bad idea. There are not going to be many players for this event.  WOWS might be better off dropping Rank to Tier 4.  The slower pace would refocus the Unicom types on slower ships and shorter firing ranges.  It would also expand the number of players trying out Rank for the first time.  It was not a good idea to scuttle Tier 4 in the first place for the in-game contests.  Focusing on a Tier that many players NEVER get to devalues Rank.

NJroc

[-KAK-]
Members
100 posts
4,369 battles

It's similar to last ranked season.

Ranks 23-11: T8

Ranks 10-2: T10

Rank 1: T5

Members
1,204 posts
3,156 battles

Tier 4 would be absolutely FULL of less experienced players, making the gameplay experience worse for those who are experienced. I'm not saying this doesn't happen at every tier, but tier 4 would be a nightmare. Ranked is supposed to be more competitive then randoms, and not just another mode to grind in. Also, ranked is tier 8 from rank 23-10 and tier 10 from 10-1.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
10,248 battles

Tier 4 is a bit too low for "competitive" game play, I think minimum should be T6.

I think the reason they don't wan to go to T7 or T8 as in previous seasons is the presence of several high performance premium ships in those tiers that would break the balance of those tiers and make it less enjoyable for people who don't have those ships.

well, in certain card games, in competitive mode, there are "banned cards list" which specified which cards cannot be used due to their being too powerful. Well, why not have similar idea in Rank? If they want to do T7 or T8 rank, just make a short list of few premium ships (that cannot be currently bought anyway) that people can't use. The three most obvious to me are Belfast in T7, and Loyang and Kutuzov in T8 (OPness of Kutuzov is debatable now with so many radar ships). That way the game is not decided by who has the most OP premium ships on their team. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,463 posts
20,305 battles
4 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

Tier 4 is a bit too low for "competitive" game play, I think minimum should be T6.

I think the reason they don't wan to go to T7 or T8 as in previous seasons is the presence of several high performance premium ships in those tiers that would break the balance of those tiers and make it less enjoyable for people who don't have those ships.

well, in certain card games, in competitive mode, there are "banned cards list" which specified which cards cannot be used due to their being too powerful. Well, why not have similar idea in Rank? If they want to do T7 or T8 rank, just make a short list of few premium ships (that cannot be currently bought anyway) that people can't use. The three most obvious to me are Belfast in T7, and Loyang and Kutuzov in T8 (OPness of Kutuzov is debatable now with so many radar ships). That way the game is not decided by who has the most OP premium ships on their team. 

I have to question the highlighted point.  Given the gun range of the Kutuzov, it seems amazingly foolish to me for any Kutuzov driver to be so damned close to the enemy that he could get radared in the first place.

• Cool 1

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
10 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

Yea I would have to agree that going back to T7 for ranked would be a nightmare like it was before. I don't think the Kutuzov is nearly as bad as it used to be, considering that if you can you just radar her and call for focus fire. Lo Yang I don't think is OP, but very strong in Ranked because of her Hydro. I have bested quite a few Lo Yangs in a B hull Benson.

Supertester
2,172 posts
9,262 battles

The T6 Ranked season was already bad enough with no Radar and inexperienced players, amoung other things. No need to make it even worse

[RKLES]
Members
8,957 posts
10,828 battles
5 minutes ago, ApexShimakaze said:

The T6 Ranked season was already bad enough with no Radar and inexperienced players, amoung other things. No need to make it even worse

Which would you prefer inexperienced players with no Radar to obliterate them or inexperienced players with Radar to kill them and a high Repair bill for you?

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,343 battles
34 minutes ago, _Pixi_ said:

It's similar to last ranked season.

Ranks 23-11: T8

Ranks 10-2: T10

Rank 1: T5

In my case, the only reason why I qualify for Rank is because I purchased the USS Massachusetts.  The highest I got in terms of grinding is Tier 5/6.  I would top out at Tier 11.

Tier 4 is the 1st rank with all 4 ship types.  It is odd that Tier 5 is the Rank one class given CVs do not have manual drop--something that needs to be dumped in the CV rework along with the AAA defense module that allows one ship to liquidate 100 aircraft in a match.  The Tier 8 BBs without the AAA modules can liquidate 25 planes with no issues.

NJroc

[RKLES]
Members
8,957 posts
10,828 battles
1 minute ago, nina_blain_73 said:

Ranked is what it is. Play it don't play it, the choice is yours.

Honestly I enjoy Ranked, but between Clan Battles and now Ranked being tier 10 again after last time. It comes out to be way too much tier X play which can get dull after a while. Need some more variety in competitive play in game and tier X is the most limited ship variety in the game outside of tier 1.

• Cool 2

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,365 posts
8,084 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Which would you prefer inexperienced players with no Radar to obliterate them or inexperienced players with Radar to kill them and a high Repair bill for you?

Inexperienced players will get obliterated either way, a good player does not need radar to beat to beat a player that does not know how to play to his/her advantages. The repair costs have the advantage of scaring off players that might have clogged up tier 10.

The real issue with low tiers is that cruisers are not really threats to BBs. A decent BB player at tier 10 will have no problem dealing with Kumas and Phoenixs at tier 4, although he might have trouble with an Iwaki Alpha, never mind tier 4 will be awesome. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

t8 then 10 really makes sense. Competitive tiers for a competitive game mode. Ranked is already total garbage thanks to the [edited] star system and the potatoes that are not ready to be playing competitively, making it 'more accessible' only increases the cancer of crapplayers.

• Cool 2

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,343 battles

It was a while back (Rank season 2) but that was Tier 5 to the 15th rank and then Tier 6 afterward.  I think I topped out after the 15th rank.

Rank is fun to play but there was no clans in those days and Clan's Tier 10 exclusivity may have gotten repetitive.

NJroc

Members
72 posts
14,015 battles
1 hour ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Tier 4 would be absolutely FULL of less experienced players, making the gameplay experience worse for those who are experienced. I'm not saying this doesn't happen at every tier, but tier 4 would be a nightmare. Ranked is supposed to be more competitive then randoms, and not just another mode to grind in. Also, ranked is tier 8 from rank 23-10 and tier 10 from 10-1.

That's all ranked is "just another mode to grind in" 

My best ranked season was nothing but grinding, win rate sucked, but ended up with a decent rank.

Members
2,145 posts
5,853 battles
1 hour ago, Panic512 said:

Yea I would have to agree that going back to T7 for ranked would be a nightmare like it was before. I don't think the Kutuzov is nearly as bad as it used to be, considering that if you can you just radar her and call for focus fire. Lo Yang I don't think is OP, but very strong in Ranked because of her Hydro. I have bested quite a few Lo Yangs in a B hull Benson.

Just a note.  The last T7 season was anything but a nightmare.  The quality of play was, for some reason, significantly better than the most recent series in Ranked.  At the time I largely used the T7 version of Pensacola and did really well with her.  I think the only season where I saw better and more competitive play was last fall when they went to T8 for ranked.  

I saw more yolo's last season than I have ever in Ranked, even the last time they did T6's was better.  In earlier seasons, a yolo ship generally spelled automatic defeat for your team, but I was seeing yolo play every second match being offset to a degree by the fact that the red team had their own yolo soon to be deleted ships to deal with.  

I'm hoping that WG is going to change the format in some way so that it gives large and obvious incentives for player so play like a team rather than just an extension of Random Battles. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
Spelling correction.

Members
1,866 posts
1 hour ago, njroc said:

In my case, the only reason why I qualify for Rank is because I purchased the USS Massachusetts.

Oh yeah, it's going to full of inexperienced wallet warriors. So many shiny new Massachusetts are being sent to the bottom now. Pretty much everybody buys above their top tier starting out though, so no worries. Hey, that's a good way to sell some premiums. The upper-tier premiums I bought early have a [edited] win rate, most of the later ones have a good win rate.

[SALVO]
Members
20,463 posts
20,305 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I'd rather have radar to prevent Ranked Battles from turning into Smoke Battles.  If you're not good enough to deal with a little radar, you don't deserve to do well in ranked. 

And note that it probably would be "a little radar" because most ranked teams over the past seasons have been very heavy on BBs and DDs, with most teams having no more than 1-2 cruisers, and definitely not always radar cruisers.  Premium cruisers such as the Atago, Prinz Eugen, and Kutuzov, tended to be the favored cruisers at tier 8 at least.

[RKLES]
Members
8,957 posts
10,828 battles
43 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Just a note.  The last T7 season was anything but a nightmare.  The quality of play was, for some reason, significantly better than the most recent series in Ranked.  At the time I largely used the T7 version of Pensacola and did really well with her.  I think the only season where I saw better and more competitive play was last fall when they went to T8 for ranked.  

I saw more yolo's last season than I have ever in Ranked, even the last time they did T6's was better.  In earlier seasons, a yolo ship generally spelled automatic defeat for your team, but I was seeing yolo play every second match being offset to a degree by the fact that the red team had their own yolo soon to be deleted ships to deal with.  

I'm hoping that WG is going to change the format in some way so that it gives large and obvious incentives for player so play like a team rather than just an extension of Random Battles. 

Making lager Doubloon rewards would make it very tempting. Part of the problem last season is a decent number of players like me that are willing to be team players were turned off by the fact Rank 10 and up was tier X. And that is not always the most fun to play, as opposed to the pleasant variety of ships at tier VI and VII that helps keep things fun and interesting. Also the fact mid tiers has so many historical ships is nice as well.

So if Wargaming keeps insisting on tier X, then there needs to be much higher rewards to make it worth the grind. Originally I did Ranked for the Doubloons and the hop of getting a Jolly Roger Flag for my ships, but now I have the Corgi Gleet Flag from being a Corgi Captain and helping out the community which means more to me than selfishly grinding for the Ranked Jolly Roger. Especially since SuperNikopower was awesome. So now it would be just the Doubloons and 2,500 Doubloons is not enough to compensate for that much X grinding since you can’t even buy a perma X camo for that amount.

[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,223 battles
1 hour ago, njroc said:

It was a while back (Rank season 2) but that was Tier 5 to the 15th rank and then Tier 6 afterward.  I think I topped out after the 15th rank.

Rank is fun to play but there was no clans in those days and Clan's Tier 10 exclusivity may have gotten repetitive.

NJroc

low tier HP trade is too "equal"

BB AP can OM each other, where at TX it only happens with yamato(with her one billion downsides)

a good player at TX can take on two three or even four noobs in the same ship, same thing cant happen for T4

well, these are just my personal feelings, maybe im just bad at low tiers, who knows...

Edited by jason199506

[SALVO]
Members
20,463 posts
20,305 battles
45 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I didn't see that many yolos, if any, last season.  I think that a  big reason for this is that players who have been around a little while, even if they're not all that good, understand that team work is what wins in Ranked.  That doesn't mean that they're great at the whole team work thing, but they go rogue far, far less often.  Furthermore, I think that there's been some winnowing out of players who just don't want to play ranked, for better or worse, and the ones that are left, are either new to Ranked or are Ranked veterans.

Also, I think that having Ranked at tier 8 has a tendency to weed out newer players who haven't reached tier 8 yet and aren't willing to spend serious money on a tier 8 premium ship.

As for tier 7's last season, frankly that last t7 season was more of a nightmare than you're willing to consider.  The Belfast was the ship of choice for too many.  When WG pulled the Belfast from being sold, I don't think that they went far enough.  They'd changed the smoke mechanic at that time, and offered Belfast (and Perth and Kutuzov) owners the option to sell them back for doubloons.  I wish that they would have reworked the Belfast so that it wasn't so OP (probably by changing the choice of consumables so that it didn't have both smoke and radar) and THEN offered the current owners that same option.  But I digress.  

To me, offensive smoke is the bane of dynamic game play, and by "dynamic gameplay", I mean a play style that's based on fire and maneuver, as opposed to the static game play that offensive smoke engenders. This is why I'm not fond of tier 6 or 7 for Ranked.  It just gets too static.  And it ends up being all about smoke shooting.  Now, I suppose that with the changes to BBs using smoke, it might be that this issue has been greatly mitigated.  Only time will tell.  But I was not at all fond of the last tier 6 and tier 7 seasons of Ranked, due to excessive smoke centric combat.

[RKLES]
Members
8,957 posts
10,828 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'd rather have radar to prevent Ranked Battles from turning into Smoke Battles.  If you're not good enough to deal with a little radar, you don't deserve to do well in ranked. 

And note that it probably would be "a little radar" because most ranked teams over the past seasons have been very heavy on BBs and DDs, with most teams having no more than 1-2 cruisers, and definitely not always radar cruisers.  Premium cruisers such as the Atago, Prinz Eugen, and Kutuzov, tended to be the favored cruisers at tier 8 at least.

In tier VI Ranked skilled use of hydro and WASD thwarted the smoke users, Radar just acts acts like 9km to 13km “force field” to light up any ship in the area which is them obliterated by shell fire.

When Radar is off the table it really does bring out the skills of players since you have to calculate the odds of a DD being just around the island and anticipate it. Or dodge the incoming Torps in time since you could not see a DD 10km out. Also teams get a lot more aggressive and all out fight instead of the let’s camp here, let’s keep running away, or simply attack from 20km away meta. No tier VI Ranked ships fought savagely in the caps or around them, was never usually a long boring drawn out fight.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,463 posts
20,305 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

In tier VI Ranked skilled use of hydro and WASD thwarted the smoke users, Radar just acts acts like 9km to 13km “force field” to light up any ship in the area which is them obliterated by shell fire.

When Radar is off the table it really does bring out the skills of players since you have to calculate the odds of a DD being just around the island and anticipate it. Or dodge the incoming Torps in time since you could not see a DD 10km out. Also teams get a lot more aggressive and all out fight instead of the let’s camp here, let’s keep running away, or simply attack from 20km away meta. No tier VI Ranked ships fought savagely in the caps or around them, was never usually a long boring drawn out fight.

Baloney. Pure, grade A baloney.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,957 posts
10,828 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Baloney. Pure, grade A baloney.

Care to elaborate on that? I was in tier VI Ranked and saw it’s meta.