You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Mid-Tier Battleships

31 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,304 posts
7,334 battles

Image result for gneisenau battleship

Which mid-tier battleship do you dread seeing on the enemy fleet?

Even though it is my namesake, seeing a Gneisenau, or a few of them, on the other team puts me on my toes.

Solid, fast, agile, good guns, powerful secondary armament, and torpedoes make her a ship that respects your attention.

With dangerous waters ahead, which mid-tier battleship poses the biggest threat to you and your fleet?

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#threatassessmentthursday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 1

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles

I think it depends. The main ones I worry about are Scharnhorst and Gnei.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

If I see a Giulio Cesare in range it's my primary target. It's 10x 320mm guns with good fire angles, coupled with its ability to flex around the battlefield, and general immunity to torp attack make it a high threat target, that if left alone will munch on friendly cruisers, DDs and suck up carrier strikes, leading to a late game full of enemy DDs.

If it can be caught out and removed from the board early, or even just forced to play defensively, the battle goes much smoother. 

• Cool 1

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles

If I'm in a cruiser, it'd have to be the Colorado. She is nasty to a cruiser, broadside or not.

For a BB that's a bit more mid-tier, it'll be the Giulio Cesare. She has guns that punish all ship types, even bow on BBs.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,453 posts
18,282 battles

The IJN mid Tier BB's demand respect. The mobility to bring  BB firepower to bear is not something to sneeze about.

• Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Even though it is my namesake, seeing a Gneisenau, or a few of them, on the other team puts me on my toes.

Yeah as mainly a Cruiser Skipper I watch out for all BBs, I also have my lookouts on watch for Fusos and Lyons the broadsides from them can smash a cruiser.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,146 posts
7,153 battles

Lyon is just plain silly at it's tier.

• Cool 2

Members
1,662 posts
14,263 battles

Gneisenau, really?   Don’t have a lot of fear for a six gun broadside and who is stupid enough to get in the range of torps, Sharnhorst more dangerous with the more rapid fire 11s .

BB priority target for me at mid-tiers (5-7)

At tier seven, Nelson (16 inch guns, and heal), and Lyon ( boatload of shells)

At tier six, Arizona (so accurate) and Warspite ( those shells hurt)

At tier five, Giulio Cesare and it is not really close on any other tier five BB

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
3 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Gneisenau, really?   Don’t have a lot of fear for a six gun broadside and who is stupid enough to get in the range of torps, Sharnhorst more dangerous with the more rapid fire 11s .

BB priority target for me at mid-tiers (5-7)

At tier seven, Nelson (16 inch guns, and heal), and Lyon ( boatload of shells)

At tier six, Arizona (so accurate) and Warspite ( those shells hurt)

At tier five, Giulio Cesare and it is not really close on any other tier five BB

Yeah the Scharnhorst with 9 of the 11’ Guns is impressive to fight against among it’s other weapons.

Nagato can actually be really scary if the user is good with it since it’s 8 main guns have long range and hit Citadels often and if they miss the citadel the shells still hit like freight trains.

Texas is a ship I often feel needs to be sunk quickly if I am playing a tier IV or V since CVs are common at that tier and Texas can be easy way for our CVs to lose their planes and the fact it is a BB as well.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Members
260 posts
5,710 battles

Julio Cesare is one that always concerns me. Not hard to kill but those guns really hurt! Fuso is a close runner up, vicious guns but tanky too. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,125 posts
29,352 battles

Giulio and Arizona.

Warspite if well run is tough too.

Shiny Horse is always a pain.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
705 posts
5,776 battles

I don't fear Gneisenau's guns, at all. I keep her torps in mind though.

For BBs, its Fuso and Nagato because they are more accurate and a little faster. I don't worry about Colorado that much because its too slow to keep up.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,668 posts
4,468 battles

Since my favorite thing is brawling, anything that can throw torpedoes at me while doing so is something that I'm always aware of. As such, definitely Gneissnau and Scharnhorst for me as well.

• Cool 1

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
2 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

I don't fear Gneisenau's guns, at all. I keep her torps in mind though.

For BBs, its Fuso and Nagato because they are more accurate and a little faster. I don't worry about Colorado that much because its too slow to keep up.

Most battleships don't worry me. As I'm either in a DD or Colorado. I usually deal decent damage to any of them.  But I usually elect to start engagements inside of 16NM. But with colorados speed, lack there of, can feel like it takes forever to get there.

Nelson is a pain with her heal. If you dont get the chance to burn her down the next thing you know there a new nelson sitting there. Brawling a Gneis sucks because of the torps. Jap shells just hurt unless i can get them bow on. Which lucky for me that's the way I prefer to fight. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,338 posts
2,886 battles

Usually only the OP Guilio . Though the UK BBs (too many premiums) have killed me a few times. 

A tirpitz torped me once. wow. 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,477 posts
10,582 battles

Arizona, tough nut to crack, good guns, but easy to avoid.  Guilio good bote, so kill her if you can.  Shiny Horse, tough, fast and good at all ranges.  Colorado just because those big guns can get your attention at her tier.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

When Playing any tier ship I don't "Dread any opponent"

I rely upon my Skills and Assessments.

89vUZA4.jpg

• Cool 2

[HUNGS]
Members
1,663 posts
3,603 battles

Lets list out the mid tier ships

Tier 5

NY - not afraid - Brutal broadside but most good players don't waste their time with her since the Texas does it with better AA

Kongo - not afraid, just very annoying - The Kongo with its speed and range is a very annoying ship since its very good at kiting but I would hardly call her scary

Konig - not afraid - A combination of poor range and nerfed dispersion has made this ship pretty poor, I have yet to meet a player since the nerf that made me go oh wow

Iron Duke - not afraid, merely a high annoyance - Because most players spam HE I hardly fear this ship, just very annoying. If I see a player using AP I will take it serious because using AP means the player might actually know what their doing

Bretagne - not afraid - I kinda like it myself but have yet to come across a player that made me so wow

Texas - Kinda a concern -  I used to pay close attention to players in the Texas but since WG started giving them out I started seeing a drop in player skill in them

Giulio Cesare - Not afraid - Its a dangerous ship for cruisers and DDs to face but for BBs not so much, the guns lack the punch most of the same tier have

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya - A concern - For some reason I keep running into pretty decent players in this ship, its not a great ship by any comparison but a good player makes a good difference

Tier 6

New Mexico - Not Afraid - Same reasons as the NY, Arizona just does it better and most good players just move to the latter than keep the NM

Fuso - Depends - if I see it at max range slinging HE that no issue, if I see it playing mid range, angling and firing AP then I keep a close eye on it

Bayern - nope - Got to hit me first lol

QE - nope - Good ship in my opinion but for the same reason as the NY and NM, most good players opt for the Warspite

Nomadie - nope - never run into one yet that had me concerned

Dunkerque - depends - if I see it playing the bow on game then nope, but if I see one moving around the map and using cover I tend to watch it. If I see a division of these I know I'm in trouble

Mutsu - kinda - those 16" guns hurt even though their penetration isn't that great

Arizona - Kinda - those 14" guns are bloody accurate thanks to the sigma and she is pretty tough even though the NM is technically better armored by a little bit

Warspite - kinda - accurate 15" guns with a good heal and cruiser like handling, even a scrub can do good in her

Tier 7

Colorado - kinda - usually not a issue but those 16" guns always hit me when I accidentally give them to much broadside

Nagato - Kinda - same reasons as the Fuso

Gneisenau - nope - its a one trick pony, rush in and try to torp the enemy. So easy to kite into friendlies to finish off

KGV - annoying - the stack up allot of damage with fires but thats about it, just a annoyance

Lyon - Kinda - that broadside hurts, but good angling negates that, really need to be aware where their at and what their aiming at

Ashitaka - yes - those buffed 16" guns are something else. fighting them is like fighting a Amagi now

Scharnhorst - yes - fast firing guns in a fast ship that is very well armored, even scrubs can be dangerous in this ship

Hood - yes - its a very tough ship that just doesn't go down easy, and if it isn't sunk it means its still shooting at you

Nelson - kinda - That zombie heal makes her annoying but that high citadel makes her a easy target

Members
27 posts
1,093 battles
6 hours ago, RightYouAreKen said:

For me it's Fuso.  A well played Fuso can hit hard and be hard to take down.  

This exactly.  When I first broke into seeing T6 and there was a Fuso, I basically played to the other side of the map.  They aren't as scary now but I still respect them.