Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RevTKS

Detected Icon has to be fixed

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

362
[WOLF5]
Members
681 posts
13,427 battles

The detected Icon actually got me killed in the last game I played. 

 

I was capping in a DD. I get the Radar/Sonar indicator. So I start moving. A few second later it changes to being only detected by Visual means. I think that I must have moved out of the CA radar range, so I smoke and hit the brakes. Then it switches back to Radar. And dead. 

Basically it's just switching back and forth when you are detected my more than one means. This is death to a DD. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
462 posts
4,642 battles

Radar ship was steaming toward you,  you got out of range, stopped, smoked and came back into his radar range as he got closer.

Thats my guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171
[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,192 battles

Surface detection takes precedence over other (radar/hydro/plane) detection. You broke it with smoke and radar detection took over. Nothing to fix here.

Edited by sansfaille
  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,261 posts
15,358 battles
1 hour ago, sansfaille said:

Surface detection takes precedence over other (radar/hydro/plane) detection. You broke it with smoke and radar detection took over. Nothing to fix here.

This^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,066 posts
5,680 battles
1 hour ago, sansfaille said:

Surface detection takes precedence over other (radar/hydro/plane) detection. You broke it with smoke and radar detection took over. Nothing to fix here.

Yes but it shouldn't do that. The detection icon should tell you every way that you're being detected and it should only switch them off when you stop being detected in that way. We used to have multiple icons that would pop up when you were detected along with different indicators for radar and hydro. Why WG went away from that is beyond me but they should bring it back. Knowing what is spotting you and if it's still spotting you is vital information. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
277
[--V--]
Members
793 posts
11,556 battles

There IS a problem with the Detection Icon however.  Yesterday I had 3 rows of ribbons in several matches and they obscure the Detection warning icon.   I could see a little of the bottom of the warning, but that was it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
101 posts
9,933 battles
1 hour ago, RevTKS said:

Basically it's just switching back and forth when you are detected my more than one means. This is death to a DD

And that is probably why nothing would be done to fix this (and how often does it really happen? ).  I have only experienced this myself while in a DD.  Meet another DD in a cap...get surface detected.  A few shots fired, time to smoke up and get out.  LOS with enemy DD blocked by smoke, detection icon changes to radar spotted (radar ship behind island).  I probably wouldn't have used the smoke in this case knowing I was also detected by radar (radar was on before I smoked, there was no break in detection once surface detection was blocked).  But I was already on my way out/away from the enemy so the outcome wasn't too bad in this case.  It would be nice to know all the methods that are being used to detect you (if multiple methods are occurring simultaneously).  But, we may hear how this takes extra calculations, the server cannot handle this, coding required, etc.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
362
[WOLF5]
Members
681 posts
13,427 battles
1 hour ago, JER1971 said:

And that is probably why nothing would be done to fix this (and how often does it really happen? ).  I have only experienced this myself while in a DD.  Meet another DD in a cap...get surface detected.  A few shots fired, time to smoke up and get out.  LOS with enemy DD blocked by smoke, detection icon changes to radar spotted (radar ship behind island).  I probably wouldn't have used the smoke in this case knowing I was also detected by radar (radar was on before I smoked, there was no break in detection once surface detection was blocked).  But I was already on my way out/away from the enemy so the outcome wasn't too bad in this case.  It would be nice to know all the methods that are being used to detect you (if multiple methods are occurring simultaneously).  But, we may hear how this takes extra calculations, the server cannot handle this, coding required, etc.

I attempted to read this, but it's not in any language I am familiar with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
405
[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,223 battles
1 hour ago, JER1971 said:

And that is probably why nothing would be done to fix this (and how often does it really happen? ).  I have only experienced this myself while in a DD.  Meet another DD in a cap...get surface detected.  A few shots fired, time to smoke up and get out.  LOS with enemy DD blocked by smoke, detection icon changes to radar spotted (radar ship behind island).  I probably wouldn't have used the smoke in this case knowing I was also detected by radar (radar was on before I smoked, there was no break in detection once surface detection was blocked).  But I was already on my way out/away from the enemy so the outcome wasn't too bad in this case.  It would be nice to know all the methods that are being used to detect you (if multiple methods are occurring simultaneously).  But, we may hear how this takes extra calculations, the server cannot handle this, coding required, etc.

what if, just what if, the radar cruiser only popped his radar when he see you pop your smoke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
117
[-RNG-]
Members
260 posts
5,683 battles

You're darn tootin its broke! They should get rid of the detected icon completely, priority target too! There is no way you can rationalize that I should know that I am seen when I cant see them. Or maybe just change the way PT works, if you dont have the enemy ship detected (cant see their gun facing) yourself you shouldn't know how many unseen ships are targeting it. 

WG wants fast games, just think how such a change would impact the game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
456
[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
3 hours ago, sansfaille said:

Surface detection takes precedence over other (radar/hydro/plane) detection. You broke it with smoke and radar detection took over. Nothing to fix here.

Disagree. The fix is to show the multiple detection icons next to each other.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
4 hours ago, RevTKS said:

The detected Icon actually got me killed in the last game I played. 

 

I was capping in a DD. I get the Radar/Sonar indicator. So I start moving. A few second later it changes to being only detected by Visual means. I think that I must have moved out of the CA radar range, so I smoke and hit the brakes. Then it switches back to Radar. And dead. 

Basically it's just switching back and forth when you are detected my more than one means. This is death to a DD. 

Sounds to me like you made a mistake and it got you killed. Thats not the interface's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171
[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,192 battles
2 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Disagree. The fix is to show the multiple detection icons next to each other.

Lets simplify the game more? An indicator to show which ship/s is/are targeting us (a red light on top of that ship), reload times on the ships (red of course) main batteries/torp tubes being displayed, AA ratings on the ships (so CVs know which ships have their AA destroyed and can go drop them), reload time on consumables and what not (I can only think of these now). It's just a game (a game of chess I feel) where getting killed because of lack of correct play shouldn't warrant simplification of the game itself. It's just like using cheat codes to finish those single player games but what's the fun in it? Let's have a bit of complex game mechanism which would keep us interested. With a few hundred games and following a couple of good CCs would make it easier to learn most game mechanisms. Flamu in one of his Stalingrad videos demonstrated how a Yammy couldn't pen the belt armor (if I am using the correct word) of a tier 1 ship. It was a simple way of putting the armor mechanism into players minds telling them not to shoot the belt armor and yell at the game for trolling them (I have seen people type on chats that at 2 kms range some squishy cruiser bounced off their shells and that was one reason Flamu demonstrated it). 

Edited by sansfaille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
5 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Lets simplify the game more? An indicator to show which ship/s is/are targeting us (a red light on top of that ship), reload times on the ships (red of course) main batteries/torp tubes being displayed, AA ratings on the ships (so CVs know which ships have their AA destroyed and can go drop them), reload time on consumables and what not (I can only think of these now). It's just a game (a game of chess I feel) where getting killed because of lack of correct play shouldn't warrant simplification of the game itself. It's just like using cheat codes to finish those single player games but what's the fun in it? Let's have a bit of complex game mechanism which would keep us interested. With a few hundred games and following a couple of good CCs would make it easier to learn most game mechanisms. Flamu in one of his Stalingrad videos demonstrated how a Yammy couldn't pen the belt armor (if I am using the correct word) of a tier 1 ship. It was a simple way of putting the armor mechanism into players minds telling them not to shoot the belt armor and yell at the game for trolling them (I have seen people type on chats that at 2 kms range some squishy cruiser bounced off their shells and that was one reason Flamu demonstrated it). 

I agree we should not keep simplifying the game. One thing that I can say in regards to the OP is that even if it went from Radar detect to visual back to radar,  even if you were capping, if you got hit by radar the first time and it went away when you moved, could you not have deduced that it was probably coming closer? There would be no reason for a radar ship to kite away from a cap and hit their radar consumable.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,066 posts
5,680 battles
57 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Lets simplify the game more? An indicator to show which ship/s is/are targeting us (a red light on top of that ship), reload times on the ships (red of course) main batteries/torp tubes being displayed, AA ratings on the ships (so CVs know which ships have their AA destroyed and can go drop them), reload time on consumables and what not (I can only think of these now). It's just a game (a game of chess I feel) where getting killed because of lack of correct play shouldn't warrant simplification of the game itself. It's just like using cheat codes to finish those single player games but what's the fun in it? Let's have a bit of complex game mechanism which would keep us interested. With a few hundred games and following a couple of good CCs would make it easier to learn most game mechanisms. Flamu in one of his Stalingrad videos demonstrated how a Yammy couldn't pen the belt armor (if I am using the correct word) of a tier 1 ship. It was a simple way of putting the armor mechanism into players minds telling them not to shoot the belt armor and yell at the game for trolling them (I have seen people type on chats that at 2 kms range some squishy cruiser bounced off their shells and that was one reason Flamu demonstrated it). 

By this logic the detailed hit ribbons are simplifying the game. 

Providing more complete and accurate information (or in this case simply not arbitrarily denying him information the game already provides) is not simplifying the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts
6 hours ago, MrSparkle said:

Detected icon needs to be removed entirely. Just like it's WoT counterpart, it's a magic skill that makes zero sense.

Priority Target makes even less sense. But if you're in a cruiser or destroyer, don't leave home without it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171
[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,192 battles
14 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

By this logic the detailed hit ribbons are simplifying the game. 

Providing more complete and accurate information (or in this case simply not arbitrarily denying him information the game already provides) is not simplifying the game. 

Please do explain how detailed hit ribbons are simplifying the game? It only tells you what happened to your shells fired and you can control them till you press the trigger. Maybe that would help you to learn the game mechanism better telling you to do more research as to where to hit and where not to hit, which particular ships to hit where and where not (people like to hit the upper belt armor of the German BBs to get lots of damage, hitting the 50mm front armor of Moskva does nothing and so on). 

The detail hit ribbons is definitely complete and accurate info as it helps you learn the game but providing the info about how you are being spotted only makes the game dumb. If you can't understand  the dynamics of your ship's surroundings that's bad game play. The game doesn't want to provide all info on a platter which prompted them to remove that mechanism. If I am playing a DD and get spotted by radar I should simply assume that I would be still radared even if I break contact with the surface ship. I would  still smoke hoping that the radar dies and breaking surface detection would make me go stealth, but at the same time I would just run away trying to throw off shots. 

Edited by sansfaille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
753
[NWNG]
Members
2,818 posts
4,676 battles
6 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

There IS a problem with the Detection Icon however.  Yesterday I had 3 rows of ribbons in several matches and they obscure the Detection warning icon.   I could see a little of the bottom of the warning, but that was it.   

Shell hits, kills, aircraft killed, secondary hits, torpedo hits, flooding, fires, spotting, capture, assist capture, and defense ribbons... is there a ribbon I am missing? I had all those in the Umikaze and my gosh does that obscure everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
433 posts
5 hours ago, MizzenMast said:

You're darn tootin its broke! They should get rid of the detected icon completely, priority target too! There is no way you can rationalize that I should know that I am seen when I cant see them. Or maybe just change the way PT works, if you dont have the enemy ship detected (cant see their gun facing) yourself you shouldn't know how many unseen ships are targeting it. 

WG wants fast games, just think how such a change would impact the game. 

You can sort of justify priority target by thinking your crew is observing what ships are aimed at you.

But detected? That's ESP - Extrasensory perception. It's magical psychic nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasensory_perception

I mean WoT's version is literally called Sixth Sense, or was when I quit. I couldn't stand the magic skills commanders had and the Romulan cloaking devices tanks had that let them disappear from view.

Seriously, all the time in this game I'll not see an enemy anywhere but the Detected! icon lights up that lets me know a DD is near. It's utter nonsense and cannot be justified. It's bad enough you can't see the DD detecting you in open water with no obstacles in the way, but to somehow psychically know an enemy sees you without you seeing them? Come on.

ESP.jpg

Edited by MrSparkle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,066 posts
5,680 battles
1 hour ago, sansfaille said:

Please do explain how detailed hit ribbons are simplifying the game? It only tells you what happened to your shells fired and you can control them till you press the trigger. Maybe that would help you to learn the game mechanism better telling you to do more research as to where to hit and where not to hit, which particular ships to hit where and where not (people like to hit the upper belt armor of the German BBs to get lots of damage, hitting the 50mm front armor of Moskva does nothing and so on). 

The detail hit ribbons is definitely complete and accurate info as it helps you learn the game but providing the info about how you are being spotted only makes the game dumb. If you can't understand  the dynamics of your ship's surroundings that's bad game play. The game doesn't want to provide all info on a platter which prompted them to remove that mechanism. If I am playing a DD and get spotted by radar I should simply assume that I would be still radared even if I break contact with the surface ship. I would  still smoke hoping that the radar dies and breaking surface detection would make me go stealth, but at the same time I would just run away trying to throw off shots. 

They're not. Neither would giving you the full list of what is detecting you. Hiding important information from the player does not make a game more complex it just makes it unnecessarily frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171
[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,192 battles
3 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

They're not. Neither would giving you the full list of what is detecting you. Hiding important information from the player does not make a game more complex it just makes it unnecessarily frustrating. 

Well would have been better if you had explained rather that just typing "they're no". Anyway each to their own and I just told my opinion and you said yours. WG knows it better and if they feel the necessity they would just like the recent 'X' mark addition to the mini map. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[TBOW]
Members
16 posts
11,628 battles
8 hours ago, MrSparkle said:

Detected icon needs to be removed entirely. Just like it's WoT counterpart, it's a magic skill that makes zero sense.

Obviously someone hasn't played the game long enough to know that the detection icon used to be an optional captain skill one had to select.   Everyone selected it because without it, the game was 100x harder.  Without the skill, it put you at a serious disadvantage and it made playing against anything with a better detection rating a real PIA.  

Imagine being stalked by a DD 6-7 KM away and you had no idea it was there.  Then they would hit you with torps that had the detection rating of the current deep water torps (possibly better) out of the blue.  One had to literally sail in a dramatic zig zag all.the.time. 

It was not fun going from full health to dead from something you didn't have any clue was detecting you.   There was zero chance of counter play.

 

bdnorcal

Edited by bdnorcal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×