Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ObiphanKenobi

Émile Bertin — French Tier V cruiser.

57 comments in this topic

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles

Le’ France Navy Cruiser

Émile Bertin 0.7.7

Quick Summary: Not using WASD hack and yours dead (personal experiences). This review is aiming for new players and "on top" of my previous review here

My play style: to get a win with many awards as possible, mainly scoring citadel hits. If I cant win, at least the game's result is acceptable. No pressure, just having fun!

dVSJMAm.jpg

Cost:  1 500 000 credits, 17500 ship experiences to research

PROs

• AB-X turret layout allows two-thirds of her firepower to be deployed even when bow-on.
  • The fastest Tier V cruiser with a top speed of 39 knots.

CONs

• The ship is virtually un-armour.
  • Reload time of main battery is NOW 13 seconds (12 sec before 0.7.7).
  • Torp’s range is SHORTEN to 6KM (9KM before 0.7.7)
  • Only one torpedo launcher of 3 on each side
  • Anti-aircraft capabilities of the ship are very limited.

REVIEW

Upon WG “neft” the Emile Bertin, her play style changed. EB can no longer safe from 10KM away. Previously, with 9KM torp, you can fire your torp to area denial (intended to stop a capping going to happen) or forcing your opponent turning in a direction you want and still have decent range to WASD out or turn and run, with 0.7.7, you cant. Your torp is now for self-defence, close combat or late nice ambush.

Detection range on the EB is horrible at 12.6 km.

Fhfzv00.jpg

If you are in a game with CV player, be extremely careful, CV player at the back will “spot” you for their team; combined this with the 6.6km air detectability and if you are rushing ahead without a plan or no support, you will be the first one to get focus fires. You stay with the fleet to combine your AA, don’t over extend and you are defendless. If you stay with the fleet, less likely you going to get focus fires because everyone going to shoot at everyone, or shoot at the target that they can shoot. Thus you play as support role, always WASD hack, and turn when “detected”, expected that someone already shooting at you. Make it hard to hit you.

So now, you need to use the map and whatever available to help reduced your detection range while maintain a comfortable distant so that you can connect your shots. Island hoping, not island hiding. Island will also help blocking shots from enemy and provide perfect ambush.

ddFehBU.jpg

Fire damage farming

First off, you need to learn other nation ships characteristic and especially their hit point (HP). For example, USN BB are slow, and above average HP, and their detection are massive. They probably first ship I would HE first on sight. The reason is that after that I can HE other ships, wait till that BB use the repair and put out the fire, I re focus and HE again. But keep in mind that you still need cover to continue to rain fire, if you are detected, get ready to WASD like crazy. Once you got the BB on fire, shoot at other ship and repeat. Now, other game mechanic – when ship on fire and show broadside or just angle, or running away, switch to AP. HE if the ship you are stalking are at an angle. In binocular view, how many fire are there on the ship? Ship can get 4 fires: front, 2 on super structure, and 1 at the aft; and the more fire on the ship, the more damage you gain.

x0ULpPC.jpg

You need to scan the map and plan ahead. Which ship you can kill off first, your positioning, which ships are next and are you still un-detected. After your shot, are you detected? Do you have to stop fire and re-position. The ship you stalking are slow or fast? Can you still HE and farm fire damage?

bb0lvyd.jpg

How to Kill It

The Emile Bertin is a potentially dangerous opponent. In the hands of an expert player, using speed and agility, she can get to point quickly, fight and then turn and run away before the rest of the fleet get there

• In Destroyers: be extremely caution when engaging the Emile Bertin at close range.  She can easily bring at least three x3 guns turrets and a x3 torps tube. In addition, her speed will make her a very frustrating target to strike with torpedoes.  If she gives you her broadside at ranges of less than 10km, fire AP from her first gun turret to get to her citadels and if EB get within 6.5km, expect torp and WASD hack. Keep her spotted for the team         

•With Cruisers: be aware of her very large detection radius. Any opportunity you get to fire AP into her soft armour should be taken care of her. Be aware of and respect her torpedo armament (6km range/60 knots/very comfortable fire arc torp too) and don't take her 152mm turret lightly; and they have high chance of starting a fire.

•For Battleships: keep the distance away from 6km, once you're inside the range torpedoes will likely be in the water. Stick with AP rounds no matter what aspect she gives you.  At medium to close ranges, they will obliterate the poor armour of this fragile cruiser.           

•Lastly Carriers: should treat her similarly to any cruiser. If you are playing low tier CV, use the auto cross-drop. If you are playing high tier CV, manual drop slight in front calculate her high speed. Keep her spotted for ally ships to focus fire/and or ping her on the map and she will be sunk first. If you playing IJN CV, cross drop torp. If you play USN CV, after striking her, you should keep dive bomb squad close to her so that she can be spot and dealt with. It is important to kill this cruiser first for the team.

If you see a EB in your game, everyone should focus her first when opportunity given. If you leave her alone, she can be devastating in late game to yours allies.

xjVV4cd.jpg

Overall Impressions

She can fend off dd (faster than dd + hydroacoustic), frustrated dd with her speed and area denial capacity, sometime if aim and time correctly, the Emile Bertin can multiple time in-capacitated the dd engine and steering.

She can citadels t4/t5 – i sometime citadel a careless capt driving a t6 (Pepsicola), or chunking off large amount of HP before going down (bb/cruiser).

She can keep distant and HE spam with the help of capt skills and signals to deal high fire damage over time. I also equip the torp signal to obtain more flooding chance as well. This is now because I can torp in close range and most likely all 3 torps going to hit.

Suggestion to WG

Torp range should be 8KM. With 6KM range I felt like EB is at the disadvantage. Her armour not withstand long enough for new players to actually charging to get within range. Evidence here, even with a Kaiser at 7.8KM away from me, I am dead before I can even get within range and all my torp missed (I want to test the torp, it not comfortable when facing bb). Even with the intention of testing the torp, I have to wait till the end of the game and making sure the team is getting the win without me; while with 9km or at the suggested 8KM I can comfortable lunch my torp and have little time left to perform other tasks.

ZA1EEsI.jpg

fXrQugT.jpg

Recommended Captain Skills

• 1st Skill: Preventative Maintenance should be one of the first skills you grab
  • 2nd Skill: I strongly recommend Adrenaline Rush over Expert Markman. More damage done, more XP rewarded.  
  • 3rd Skill: Demolition Expert is probably your best choice.  Low tier increasing the fire chance of your HE shells from 12% to 14%.
  • 4th Skill: Concealment Expert is the best option, because of her torp range had shorten, she need to be stealthier. She need to use islands to further reduce her detection down or to set up an ambush

For me, I go with the following set up

• 5th Skill: Investing in Expert Marksman – 2 pts. I preferred EM as I am dodging, wiggling, dancing so that I do not show my profile a lot. Regardless of armour angling, AP shells still damage you, so the best captain is to minimize the damage as much as possible and return damage high enough to scare off your enemy.
  • 6th Skills: IFHE – 4 pts

But for new player:

Please consider with your own play style if CE or IFHE is more comfortable. If you want to play the EB, test it out first.

I find that without IFHE, I am doing OK in every game I play. I can damage bb with AP knowing that I am going to die anyway thus I make the most out of every engagement as possible. I personally do not feel the differences of the short torp range (only from time to time frustrated but no big deal) as i can always find other ways to use my torp. 

Nbf3uKW.jpg

2w2PLhR.jpg

AYWjynS.jpg

0MOAl0F.jpg

PlPjPDf.jpg

5JN2zjY.jpg

4ARSQwr.jpg

Xs7cJwt.jpg

RLULEMo.jpg

• Cool 3

[POP]
Members
1,278 posts
16,221 battles

A well written article with a in depth review, OK what was this post about again :Smile_teethhappy: I fell asleep after reading the title.

If your going to do a review do it about the Krispy Kreme you gifted that I didn't want but asked you for the T-61 which I'm still waiting for you to gift me :Smile-angry:

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles
46 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It's tragic what the nerf did to her.

Not so much, if there a will, there a way!

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,006 posts
7,962 battles

nice review Obi, thanks for that. I am saddened to hear EB has been lumbered with a handicap (7.7 nerf), but am glad it hasn't stopped being fun.

Members
4,709 posts
7,095 battles

The torp thing I can live with but I don't get adding another sec to her already pretty slow reload. 13 sec now and this is a cruiser with virtually no armor.  So many cruisers with faster reloads and better armor so why do this to her?  What is the reason for doing this? Someone explain this to me.  Boo hoo. 

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

The torp thing I can live with but I don't get adding another sec to her already pretty slow reload. 13 sec now and this is a cruiser with virtually no armor.  So many cruisers with faster reloads and better armor so why do this to her?  What is the reason for doing this? Someone explain this to me.  Boo hoo. 

The Italian cruisers are still far worse.  

:Smile_sad:

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles
6 hours ago, dmckay said:

The torp thing I can live with but I don't get adding another sec to her already pretty slow reload. 13 sec now and this is a cruiser with virtually no armor.  So many cruisers with faster reloads and better armor

Compensate the 13 sec with AR captain skill and she doing OK. Psychologically, it make the players more concentrate and value their shots (salvo), knowing that each shot or shots count. Knowing where to aim and what amo type and game mechanics to make the most out of it. Also, by the time player engaged in a knife fight, they loosing some HP already, not to mention more HP gone during the fight. All make the EB more dangerous then ever. I scored more citadel hits in 0.7.7.

I re-spec my EB with AR, i felt that AR is now a must.

4 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

The Italian cruisers are still far worse.  

It all come down to players' skill.

• Bad 1

Members
4,709 posts
7,095 battles
2 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Compensate the 13 sec with AR captain skill and she doing OK. Psychologically, it make the players more concentrate and value their shots (salvo), knowing that each shot or shots count. Knowing where to aim and what amo type and game mechanics to make the most out of it. Also, by the time player engaged in a knife fight, they loosing some HP already, not to mention more HP gone during the fight. All make the EB more dangerous then ever. I scored more citadel hits in 0.7.7.

I re-spec my EB with AR, i felt that AR is now a must.

It all come down to players' skill.

My friend the LAST thing the EB is is a knife fighter. She is more dangerous that before?  How could she be????  Are u playing the same game as me here?  She is a good ship. But at least 1/3 of what made her good is GONE.  Gone with the wind. Last ship I can think of that needed the nerf hammer. 

Do u actually have her?  :Smile_glasses:

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Do u actually have her?

Proudly owned the EB, and have 217 battles more then you current played on your EB (at this time of reply). Assumed, that I re spec her more times then you as well; to test her for the review.

2 hours ago, dmckay said:

My friend the LAST thing the EB is is a knife fighter. She is more dangerous that before?  How could she be????  Are u playing the same game as me here?  She is a good ship. But at least 1/3 of what made her good is GONE.  Gone with the wind. Last ship I can think of that needed the nerf hammer. 

Let me re stated my statement just for you, the Last thing EB need before dying, is when engaging in a knife fight, make sure your shots count so that you emerge as a winner. This included using everything you had learn from the game.

She is more dangerous/How could she be????  now because - players will play her with more concentration minded, they will be more careful with a plan, they learnt mostly everything mechanics by now (veteran players, new player excepted) and if they take into consideration of what the new changes they will get better. For myself, I not afraid of knife fight, instead I prefer knife fight when I have to and most often I survive and scored citadel hits. Actually, my battle result screenshots speak for myself.

Are u playing the same game as me here? No, and never will. Every players enter the game and play differently at different time. Even with the same player enter the game on the same day, will play differently at every battle

She is a good ship. But at least 1/3 of what made her good is GONE.  Gone with the wind. Last ship I can think of that needed the nerf hammer. Yes, WG had "neft" the EB, however, there are way to make the "neft" working the better way, with positive instead of been negative.

I stop many other mini projects and played EB after 0.7.7 to see how she work. I found a way to make the plays more fun and more enjoying, and it work for me. I even make a suggestion so the EB can be a little more playable, but that not up to me, it up to the developers with their data result.

I hope that you play your EB differently and find it enjoyable, and if you cant, then it is unfortunate that it not working out for you.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

Emile Bertin didn't need a nerf. No, most other Tier V Cruisers are pretty garbage, is all. Likewise, Alsace didn't need a nerf either. No, most other Tier IX BBs are pretty garbage(with the exception of premiums), is all.

Members
4,709 posts
7,095 battles
11 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Proudly owned the EB, and have 217 battles more then you current played on your EB (at this time of reply). Assumed, that I re spec her more times then you as well; to test her for the review.

Let me re stated my statement just for you, the Last thing EB need before dying, is when engaging in a knife fight, make sure your shots count so that you emerge as a winner. This included using everything you had learn from the game.

She is more dangerous/How could she be????  now because - players will play her with more concentration minded, they will be more careful with a plan, they learnt mostly everything mechanics by now (veteran players, new player excepted) and if they take into consideration of what the new changes they will get better. For myself, I not afraid of knife fight, instead I prefer knife fight when I have to and most often I survive and scored citadel hits. Actually, my battle result screenshots speak for myself.

Are u playing the same game as me here? No, and never will. Every players enter the game and play differently at different time. Even with the same player enter the game on the same day, will play differently at every battle

She is a good ship. But at least 1/3 of what made her good is GONE.  Gone with the wind. Last ship I can think of that needed the nerf hammer. Yes, WG had "neft" the EB, however, there are way to make the "neft" working the better way, with positive instead of been negative.

I stop many other mini projects and played EB after 0.7.7 to see how she work. I found a way to make the plays more fun and more enjoying, and it work for me. I even make a suggestion so the EB can be a little more playable, but that not up to me, it up to the developers with their data result.

I hope that you play your EB differently and find it enjoyable, and if you cant, then it is unfortunate that it not working out for you.

Actually I do appreciate your thoughts but I do disagree that nerfing her reload will make a player better. I doubt that will be a result...or very little. The torps.....as I said I can live with that. She does have her speed so all in all the nerf was not a disaster.  One can adjust. Still don't like it however. Regardless of whether or not players will get better in her now I do think fewer will play her.  Carry on.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
14 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

She is more dangerous/How could she be????  now because - players will play her with more concentration minded, they will be more careful with a plan, they learnt mostly everything mechanics by now

By this logic they should drop the reload to 30 seconds. Boy would the players get good then! Nerfing a ship may increase its WR by weeding out all the average and lower players (and many good players too) that say 'F-This' and stop playing the ship (call it the "Huanghe Effect").  Most (90%?) of the playerbase is not looking for a challenge in their ship selection but for an advantage they can exploit. They gravitate toward the 'better' ships. They use visibility/dispersion camo. They use flags to ever-so-slightly boost their ships performance. They use captain skills like AR to boost their ROF when they take damage. They generally upgrade their ships as fast as possible to get the improvements because they want to have a ship at least as good as their opponents.

Don't think this nerf completely guts the EB but it makes it less enjoyable to play for most of the playerbase and seemed completely unnecessary. It still has its speed but offensively it has taken a big hit. Have to watch the change in WR and the number of games played going forward.

• Cool 1

Members
4,709 posts
7,095 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

By this logic they should drop the reload to 30 seconds. Boy would the players get good then! Nerfing a ship may increase its WR by weeding out all the average and lower players (and many good players too) that say 'F-This' and stop playing the ship (call it the "Huanghe Effect").  Most (90%?) of the playerbase is not looking for a challenge in their ship selection but for an advantage they can exploit. They gravitate toward the 'better' ships. They use visibility/dispersion camo. They use flags to ever-so-slightly boost their ships performance. They use captain skills like AR to boost their ROF when they take damage. They generally upgrade their ships as fast as possible to get the improvements because they want to have a ship at least as good as their opponents.

Don't think this nerf completely guts the EB but it makes it less enjoyable to play for most of the playerbase and seemed completely unnecessary. It still has its speed but offensively it has taken a big hit. Have to watch the change in WR and the number of games played going forward.

Good input! Less enjoyable...correct. As I said somewhere in this thread there are many more ships that could use the nerf hammer rather than this one. "Completely unnecessary" and made no sense to me.She is a damn cruiser in TIER 5 which is a tough enough tier to be in as it is now.  Quite difficult tier for a cruiser. Why did WG chose to nerf Emile?  Why?  Did not make any sense to me. Took a very good ship, NOT an OP ship, and made her pretty average...I do believe.  I mean she has NO armor and needed the less than good rof she had, but they chose to make that worse.  Duh. Mystifying.  Carry on.

Edited by dmckay

[SPTR]
Members
26,343 posts
11,630 battles

Nice nice review once again.

WG lets give Emile the same torps as Aigle's 

You get an extra kilometer in torp range, an extra 6177 to torp damage, take away 7 seconds from its reload time WG can give or take and plus 112% to flooding chance.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles

Got myself into a very interesting MM

also got up tier and match against a t6

bhaIXHi.jpg

AND the result

LOJ4g1Z.jpg

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
6 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Got myself into a very interesting MM

also got up tier and match against a t6

Thought at first it must be a Co-Op battle with on 6 ships. Haven't seen a match that small in a long time. Looks like MM really stacked the odds against your team but somehow you prevailed. 22 Hits, 22K damage and a kill is OK but not game winning. How did your team pull out the win?

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles
5 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

How did your team pull out the win?

trade ship by ship, last one survive win for the team.

Everyone on the team did their part/s at their best.

[POP]
Members
1,278 posts
16,221 battles
6 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

g1JzWu6.jpg

For the love of God stop posting these screen shots everybody knows you get carried in these games, you could not hit the Queen Mary even if you were moored along side her in the Yamato and your showing people screens shot of you in some French ship that sails faster in reverse than forward, give me a break :Smile_teethhappy:.

The only time you sink ships is when you TK a team member :Smile_facepalm:, even the BOTS in COOP on your team complain how bad you are, and I know for a fact that 2 BOTS reported you for poor play :cap_haloween:so save everybody the pain from your continual posting of this nonsense go out and actually get your paint scratched from shell fire and do some good in game instead of skulking about at the back on the border edges moaning about how bad the MM is to you.

My God do I have to embarrass you in front of everybody that reads your posts :Smile_teethhappy: by the way you still owe me that Roma you promised.

And start playing your Smith that cost me a arm and leg to gift it to you:cap_haloween:

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,936 battles
10 minutes ago, tm63au said:

For the love of God stop posting these screen shots everybody knows you get carried in these games, you could not hit the Queen Mary even if you were moored along side her in the Yamato and your showing people screens shot of you in some French ship that sails faster in reverse than forward, give me a break :Smile_teethhappy:.

The only time you sink ships is when you TK a team member :Smile_facepalm:, even the BOTS in COOP on your team complain how bad you are, and I know for a fact that 2 BOTS reported you for poor play :cap_haloween:so save everybody the pain from your continual posting of this nonsense go out and actually get your paint scratched from shell fire and do some good in game instead of skulking about at the back on the border edges moaning about how bad the MM is to you.

My God do I have to embarrass you in front of everybody that reads your posts :Smile_teethhappy: by the way you still owe me that Roma you promised.

And start playing your Smith that cost me a arm and leg to gift it to you

It like, to me "LOVE IS IN THE AIR"

luvs

Sign in to follow this