You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Why does OBS make WOWS stutter?

14 comments in this topic

[F-N-S]
Members
69 posts
1,811 battles

I really want to stream World of Warships on Twitch, so I've been running some stream tests to see how the game performs while streaming. The game streams smooth and runs smooth until a few minutes in. Then it starts to stutter. It's like a handful of frames are played in slow motion and then all of the sudden the game catches up. The effect is visible in the game, but is even more noticeable in the stream.

The first thing I thought was that that my PC was too weak, but the CPU runs at about 20-30% with the game running and OBS streaming. There aren't any spikes in usage. The ping in the game stays steady too, which I kind of expected since my 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload speeds have never given me streaming issues in the past. So I'm drawing a blank here.

Something that seems to fix the issue temporarily is if I minimize the game out of fullscreen and then go back into it. Obviously this is a pain to do mid-battle and the issue resumes after a few minutes anyhow. I am going to try running the game in windowed mode when I get a chance in the coming days, but I as curious to see if anyone on the forum has had similar issues to what I have described and knows how to fix it?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,418 battles

I was going to come in here and make a joke about how OBS has a speech impediment and you shouldn't criticize it for stuttering. Now I'm kind of amused at the irony of a person named ComputerWhiz asking for tech support. I know it happens all the time, it's just funny. 

Any chance your video card isn't up to it? I'm probably wrong cause I admittedly know very little about streaming.

[DENY]
Members
683 posts
7,265 battles

What is your config ? You might not t have enough ram , maybe it your hard drive that reach 100% utilisation and cause the stuttering , 

[F-N-S]
Members
69 posts
1,811 battles

Thanks all for the replies. I will try to address everyone.

Firstly, yes I get the irony of someone with my username asking for tech advice. It makes me laugh too, but admittedly I don't know everything about streaming :)

As for the video bit rate, it's set fairly low at just 3000 in OBS.

As for my config, I've only got a GTX760 so I'm not expecting anything too powerful, but I can still pull a solid 60fps with the graphics at maximum in  WOWS. Disc usage says steady at about 40-60% and the RAM could possibly be an issue with just 4GB because my other 4GB stick died.

However, I've tested in windowed mode and, although my fps in the game drops to about 50fps from the solid 60fps I was getting before, the issue is gone. I don't care about the fps because I'm streaming at 30 anyway. Unfortunately, it adds some black bars to the top and bottom of the stream because it's no longer capturing the full 1080p dimensions, but it works fine.

[OO7]
Members
4,486 posts
11,046 battles

Most important, what is your internet speed and what is your stream rate? 

My Computer will do whatever I throw at it, but it's my upload speed that croak at it. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[F-N-S]
Members
69 posts
1,811 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Most important, what is your internet speed and what is your stream rate? 

My Computer will do whatever I throw at it, but it's my upload speed that croak at it. 

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of. 40 down and 10 up for internet. I know that 10 up is pushing it a bit for streaming, but I've never had an issues with any other games and I don't have any issues with WOWS in windowed mode.

[OO7]
Members
4,486 posts
11,046 battles
36 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of. 40 down and 10 up for internet. I know that 10 up is pushing it a bit for streaming, but I've never had an issues with any other games and I don't have any issues with WOWS in windowed mode.

10 up should be plenty fine. I can stream 480p/30 with 1 up while playing on highest settings. However if I throw anything else up that's using internet, it will stutter

[F-N-S]
Members
69 posts
1,811 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

10 up should be plenty fine. I can stream 480p/30 with 1 up while playing on highest settings. However if I throw anything else up that's using internet, it will stutter

My guess was RAM, but I got another 4GB stick from my other system to bring my total up to 8GB, but I still have issues. I guess it's fine streaming in windowed mode. A bit of a pain, but I guess I can fill the black bars with widgets.

[OO7]
Members
4,486 posts
11,046 battles
6 hours ago, ComputerWhiz said:

My guess was RAM, but I got another 4GB stick from my other system to bring my total up to 8GB, but I still have issues. I guess it's fine streaming in windowed mode. A bit of a pain, but I guess I can fill the black bars with widgets.

Yeah, 4GB sounds a little light

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,350 posts
11,801 battles

I stream at a 3000 bitrate and 45fps and my i7 3770k's cpu usage based off of OBS never reaches 10% which, in my testing, is the performance degradation threshold.  

You haven't mentioned what CPU you're running but, really, 16gb is the minimum for streaming.  Can you get by with less?  Sure, but why bother?  It's not good for you or the people watching if the stuttering, frame drops, etc are all because your hardware isn't up to the task.  Afterall your PC is only as fast as the slowest component. 

It'd be easier to help if you listed your specs, though.

[DNGRZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,748 battles
15 hours ago, ComputerWhiz said:

Thanks all for the replies. I will try to address everyone.

Firstly, yes I get the irony of someone with my username asking for tech advice. It makes me laugh too, but admittedly I don't know everything about streaming :)

As for the video bit rate, it's set fairly low at just 3000 in OBS.

As for my config, I've only got a GTX760 so I'm not expecting anything too powerful, but I can still pull a solid 60fps with the graphics at maximum in  WOWS. Disc usage says steady at about 40-60% and the RAM could possibly be an issue with just 4GB because my other 4GB stick died.

However, I've tested in windowed mode and, although my fps in the game drops to about 50fps from the solid 60fps I was getting before, the issue is gone. I don't care about the fps because I'm streaming at 30 anyway. Unfortunately, it adds some black bars to the top and bottom of the stream because it's no longer capturing the full 1080p dimensions, but it works fine.

3000 is still quite high. Takes a pretty good computer to pull those numbers. 

• 760 is quite old for streaming. Most streamers have a 900+ series. 
  • 4g of ram is BAD! VERY BAD. 8g will just BARELY work if you are using the same computer to play off of. 

What CPU?
What are your OBS settings?

Seriously, you might want to NOT stream. You sound like you are using an old computer like I used to. I never even tried to stream, because streaming is VERY hand on your computer if you are also using it to play on. If you want to use this comp to stream, you need to buy another to play off of. 

Not trying to be an [edited]about saying you shouldn't stream, but NO ONE wants to watch a slide show, no matter HOW funny you are.

Members
1,195 posts

why not first try OBS outputting to a file only to your slowest HDD, if that exhibits the same problem then its nothing to do with the internet or your connection to your streaming platform, its your PC being overwhelmed by the OBS settings.

if that functions fine, then start off with a smaller output resolution at 30fps at a lower bit-rate when testing your steaming to the streaming platform.

if WoWS and OBS are trying to use the same CPU cores they could be fighting one another for CPU time, so try setting OBS's CPU affinity with task manager (plenty on info on Google about setting CPU affinity via task manager), even going as far as dedicating some cores to OBS that WoWS wont use and some cores to WoWS that OBS wont use.

[TDRB]
Members
2,677 posts
7,736 battles
13 hours ago, ComputerWhiz said:

Twitch does recommend a minimum of 8gb of ram. If you are running Windows 10 you may want to up it to 16gb.