You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KurganSPK

The Irony of PotatoVille

96 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles

Okay, so the last 10 days or so have been the worst I've ever seen in this game in terms of quality of games and teams - I'm a 100 percent solo pubber and have been playing mostly high tiers lately, which certainly doesn't help.

Rant time; I find it bloody amazing though that team of tier 10 players that just huddle in the back all game and never go near a cap or destroy another ship know how to use the post battle complaint system to report me for yelling at them and hurting their feelings..... 

Frankly I deserved the complaints and chat ban... so I'm not complaining, just find it ironic that they can do that but not understand what a cap is. 

Yes I need to quit this game for a while.... think I'm at 30 percent WR or something for this time period, game after game after game that are over in the first minute and we are rolled.... picked a bad time to quit drinking. 

• Cool 10
  • Funny 2

[TBW]
Members
7,511 posts
13,775 battles

I mostly play when I have been drinking now, it's less painful. As far as the Potatoes go, I'll just make Vodka in my home still.

th.jpg.48c9bb34f11e2f7bdf1f2909c8974ead.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,468 posts
10,544 battles

T10s is always a mixed bag... sometimes the teams are moving doing some good stuff, other times its as you describe...I think you just gotta roll with it.  I usually work my ships I am leveling, play a t10 match or two and then play some very fun T3-6 matches.  Always play the T3-6 matches, it will remind you that your not quite as bad as you seem and you will see some fun teams, as potatoes can be very aggressive at that tier. (they die fun too!)

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,296 posts
14,410 battles
47 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

So I located the problem and unfortunately, it's you. It seems stats-wise you are a decent player really. Buy you purchased the Conquerer a few days back and just don't know how to use it.  If you are going to take out the ultimate kite boat you cant be running into caps, that is not your job. Your job is to stay back and be a fire setting machine. It is not a Destroyer. It is a Volcano with propellers! I hope this helps. 

uk.jpg

For a second there I read Republique and thought you were wrong....

Then I saw the picture and realised I was wrong....

Sorry for doubting your wisdom, briefly.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,643 posts
7,006 battles

If you're having one of those rollover games where death and loss are inevitable, just use the remaining seconds of your life as target practice. Never hurts to improve on that.

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,893 battles
14 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

Okay, so the last 10 days or so have been the worst I've ever seen in this game in terms of quality of games and teams - I'm a 100 percent solo pubber and have been playing mostly high tiers lately, which certainly doesn't help.

Rant time; I find it bloody amazing though that team of tier 10 players that just huddle in the back all game and never go near a cap or destroy another ship know how to use the post battle complaint system to report me for yelling at them and hurting their feelings..... 

Frankly I deserved the complaints and chat ban... so I'm not complaining, just find it ironic that they can do that but not understand what a cap is. 

Yes I need to quit this game for a while.... think I'm at 30 percent WR or something for this time period, game after game after game that are over in the first minute and we are rolled.... picked a bad time to quit drinking. 

Stop derping early in your DDs and tell the other DDs to stop and the BBs won't have to spend the whole match steering clear of torp soup.

You are good in some ships but the ships you need to be patient in to do bigger damage and win matches (high tier DDs and BBs) you are considerably below average, especially in the ships destroyed ratio which means largely what damage you are doing which in a number of them are really low (like Conqueror in the 80k range is really bad) is not either initiating the critical snowball effect or reversing the snowball effect happening to your team.

And since the snowball effect impacts the outcome of the match more than anything (because being down in number of ships makes it hard to cap or retake caps), you need to dial back your aggression a bit and be alive longer to have more influence.

In other words, if you want the BBs in the back to advance, stay alive. And if you are going to get chat banned, do it calling out the starchy veggies that died before half the battle was even finished.

Also note the forum has had like 10 whine posts from sub 40% survival rate players complaining about passive play in the last two weeks alone. Not one of them were above average players. That should trigger something in your consciousness that maybe you have more to do with the problem you see than you realize.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
18 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

For a second there I read Republique and thought you were wrong....

Then I saw the picture and realised I was wrong....

Sorry for doubting your wisdom, briefly.

4 hours ago, VGLance said:

Stop derping early in your DDs and tell the other DDs to stop and the BBs won't have to spend the whole match steering clear of torp soup.

You are good in some ships but the ships you need to be patient in to do bigger damage and win matches (high tier DDs and BBs) you are considerably below average, especially in the ships destroyed ratio which means largely what damage you are doing which in a number of them are really low (like Conqueror in the 80k range is really bad) is not either initiating the critical snowball effect or reversing the snowball effect happening to your team.

And since the snowball effect impacts the outcome of the match more than anything (because being down in number of ships makes it hard to cap or retake caps), you need to dial back your aggression a bit and be alive longer to have more influence.

In other words, if you want the BBs in the back to advance, stay alive. And if you are going to get chat banned, do it calling out the starchy veggies that died before half the battle was even finished.

Also note the forum has had like 10 whine posts from sub 40% survival rate players complaining about passive play in the last two weeks alone. Not one of them were above average players. That should trigger something in your consciousness that maybe you have more to do with the problem you see than you realize.

Good advice - but the Conq, ffs... I just got it and only have a handful of matches in it and those are all in this window I talk about in the OP. And in those Conq matches, I was usually the last left alive after everyone else derped in two mins... I'd like to actually get to play it for nearly a full match duration for once.  I am in NO WAY saying I'm an awesome player. What I will say is I try every match to help the team win, I pay attention to requests for help from other players, and I look at the map and adjust to what the enemy is doing. That's pretty much all I want to see in team mates...  

And that's also a reason for my chat ban - yelling at the die fasts. When half the team dies in two mins, you are not going to live long no matter what you do. I"m usually not super aggressive, in a lot of these recent matches I have been trying to get teams to move by pushing a cap too early in a BB to try to get them to follow... it hasn't worked, and neither has sitting back waiting for them to do their jobs in their respective ships. So I dunno what the solution is. I guess play normally, and perhaps more passively in high tiers, and "wait and see" if and when the tide turns. 

Oh, and I'm not defending my chat ban either - it's my fault for losing my cool and taking the frustration out on other players, which I shouldn't do. So that's definitely entirely my bad. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,738 posts

They've even been doing this in Co-op games.

Unfortunately for them, bots are NOT other Random players- they won't sit at range and play the "Now you see me, now you don't!" game,  get worried wondering what trick you're up to; or lose patience and yolo into your guns one or two at a time.

They'll all charge at full flank speed right through the caps- and right into your midst before you know it.   Usually forming up into death balls along the way- then just roll over anyone in their way.   I've seen teams get annihilated in minutes this way- because they rarely miss, always hit exactly where they're aiming, and do max damage.  They also trash modules like a 15 yr old throwing a temper tantrum.    Those who scatter and run just get destroyed piecemeal- or chased to the ends of the earth.    You just can't meekly give them the initiative- they'll roll you.

Besides, why in the world would you waste the opportunity to play those high tier ships aggressively- in a way you just can't get away with in Randoms??  As long as you aren't plain old foolhardy, you can do some really fun things vs those bots.   They actually FIGHT!  ALL of them, all the time.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,886 posts
4,499 battles
19 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

There's a time to experience the real world and a time to play. There is no use playing if you're not having fun because this is a game - you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.

Go out with your friends, read a naval book, play with your pets (if you have any), and experience the real world for a time till everybody goes back to school in a month :cap_tea:.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

You're expecting too much from casuals - people who have no interest in learning the tactical and strategic aspects of the game. You have to understand that your interest is deeper than theirs. You're willing to go further to achieve success as a result.

Now, does it make much sense to insult people simply because you're more interested in the game? What if I were more interested in walking than you? Would I be permitted to insult and abuse you as much as I'd like if your manner of walking offended my sensibilities?

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
8 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

You're expecting too much from casuals - people who have no interest in learning the tactical and strategic aspects of the game. You have to understand that your interest is deeper than theirs. You're willing to go further to achieve success as a result.

Now, does it make much sense to insult people simply because you're more interested in the game? What if I were more interested in walking than you? Would I be permitted to insult and abuse you as much as I'd like if your manner of walking offended my sensibilities?

Right on both counts - though I don't understand why someone would advance to t10 simply for casual interests... as I said I fully deserved the chat ban. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
21 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

There's a time to experience the real world and a time to play. There is no use playing if you're not having fun because this is a game - you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.

Go out with your friends, read a naval book, play with your pets (if you have any), and experience the real world for a time till everybody goes back to school in a month :cap_tea:.

good advice - though simply finding another game to play for a while is also a solution... I live on Big Island of HI - have a raging brush fire a mile or so from my house, not threatening this direction but smoke is bad, and a raging volcano on other side of island. Air quality right now is terrible - so spending more time inside than usual... 

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,893 battles
25 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

Good advice - but the Conq, ffs... I just got it and only have a handful of matches in it and those are all in this window I talk about in the OP. And in those Conq matches, I was usually the last left alive after everyone else derped in two mins... I'd like to actually get to play it for nearly a full match duration for once.  I am in NO WAY saying I'm an awesome player. What I will say is I try every match to help the team win, I pay attention to requests for help from other players, and I look at the map and adjust to what the enemy is doing. That's pretty much all I want to see in team mates...  

And that's also a reason for my chat ban - yelling at the die fasts. When half the team dies in two mins, you are not going to live long no matter what you do. I"m usually not super aggressive, in a lot of these recent matches I have been trying to get teams to move by pushing a cap too early in a BB to try to get them to follow... it hasn't worked, and neither has sitting back waiting for them to do their jobs in their respective ships. So I dunno what the solution is. I guess play normally, and perhaps more passively in high tiers, and "wait and see" if and when the tide turns. 

Oh, and I'm not defending my chat ban either - it's my fault for losing my cool and taking the frustration out on other players, which I shouldn't do. So that's definitely entirely my bad. 

Well you hit the nail on the head.  You can't perform well if half your team is dead before you can even get out of the starting gate.   So the passive BBs that are passive because half the team derped are not to blame.  The entire playerbase of scrubs need to learn to take personal accountability for the health of their ship.  Dying before 10 minutes is bad enough.  Dying before 5 minutes (not counting the extremely rare detonations) is 100% and undeniably inexcusable.  And no defense can be made that they were "playing the objective" or "caps mattered" (caps do not matter that early in the match) or blaming the team for no support.  The #1 objective is to win, not cap.  And suiciding oneself for the sake of a cap only to have it taken right back after suiciding is not and never will be a winning strategy.  Bad players often over-inflate their heroic value and contribution to the effort to laughable levels in order to justify their early sinking.  But that's why they are bad players and remain bad players until they can train their brains to think objectively.

A great way to train the brain is wear a rubber band on the wrist.  Any time a person thinks the passive players are to blame, they do a count to see if they had more ships die early than the opponent.  If they did, then the person pulls all the way back on the band and lets go.  But good luck getting people to do something to demonstrate they have self-discipline, which is the same reason they're derping early to begin with.  No self-discipline.  No patience.  No awareness.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
5 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Well you hit the nail on the head.  You can't perform well if half your team is dead before you can even get out of the starting gate.   So the passive BBs that are passive because half the team derped are not to blame.  The entire playerbase of scrubs need to learn to take personal accountability for the health of their ship.  Dying before 10 minutes is bad enough.  Dying before 5 minutes (not counting the extremely rare detonations) is 100% and undeniably inexcusable.  And no defense can be made that they were "playing the objective" or "caps mattered" (caps do not matter that early in the match) or blaming the team for no support.  The #1 objective is to win, not cap.  And suiciding oneself for the sake of a cap only to have it taken right back after suiciding is not and never will be a winning strategy.  Bad players often over-inflate their heroic value and contribution to the effort to laughable levels in order to justify their early sinking.  But that's why they are bad players and remain bad players until they can train their brains to think objectively.

A great way to train the brain is wear a rubber band on the wrist.  Any time a person thinks the passive players are to blame, they do a count to see if they had more ships die early than the opponent.  If they did, then the person pulls all the way back on the band and lets go.  But good luck getting people to do something to demonstrate they have self-discipline, which is the same reason they're derping early to begin with.  No self-discipline.  No patience.  No awareness.

mostly agree - but what about those very common matches these days were entire team balls up behind an island in the back in a four cap match and never moves and we lose on points with all our ships healthy.... that's too passive.  Or teams that only take one cap in a four cap or three cap match and sit there... i should just sit with them and farm damage so my stats look better?

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,893 battles
27 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

You are right, except there is an underlying element of respect of play style that needs to go both ways.  If super casual players want us to respect their play style, they need to respect ours and vice versa.  This is where self-regulation comes in.  Due to repair costs, the stakes are much higher at T8 and above.  So the super casual players need to stick to lower tiers or co-op if they have no desire to fulfill their 1/12 of their responsibility to the team.  Likewise, like our clan does, the players more committed to performing at a high level should not be seal clubbing at low tiers (unless we're grinding up a new line but we don't hang around, we jump to the next ship as soon as it's unlocked).  We do this as a demonstration of respect we have for players who are new to the game or veterans who are looking for a more relaxed environment.

There is plenty of room for players of different skill and play styles to play within areas of the game and not have to perpetuate this conflict.  But this requires respect of others and as we've seen, a disturbing number of players in the community have zero care or consideration when it comes to stepping all over other peoples' fun.

Other games do similar separate sandboxes like level-restricted zones in MMORPG's to protect newbies from accidentally stepping into areas too difficult to handle and to keep them from getting griefed by much higher level players, so the concept is not foreign or new.

• Cool 1

[EGO]
Members
3,561 posts

The player base is hopeless these days, they continue to get worse. I've cut back at least 90% on how much I play. I need to make it 100% and wait for WG to send me massive amounts of freebies to come back.

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,893 battles
3 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

mostly agree - but what about those very common matches these days were entire team balls up behind an island in the back in a four cap match and never moves and we lose on points with all our ships healthy.... that's too passive.  Or teams that only take one cap in a four cap or three cap match and sit there... i should just sit with them and farm damage so my stats look better?

I'm not saying there aren't overly passive players.  But the ratio is extremely bent to aggression, meaning there are tons more losses happening due to suiciders than passive players.  The key to recognizing this is to not count passive play as the reason for the loss when it was a direct result of crappers dying early.  For example, show me a video replay of a match where all 12 players lived past 10 minutes and lost.  You'll never find one.  But it's actually really easy to submit replay videos of 5+ ships dying before 5 minutes where the match is a loss.

If you put as much weight as you seem to be on remembering those much rarer examples of passive players balling up like that, it will put a cap on your growth through the learning curve because it won't hit you consistently on a subconscious level at every minute of every match how important it is to protect the health of your ship while still doing as much damage as you can.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
20 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

sefk2.jpg

looks-like-i-picked-the-wrong-week-to-qu

P5qBFOy.jpg

• Cool 1

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
19 hours ago, Morpheous said:

T10s is always a mixed bag... sometimes the teams are moving doing some good stuff, other times its as you describe...I think you just gotta roll with it.  I usually work my ships I am leveling, play a t10 match or two and then play some very fun T3-6 matches.  Always play the T3-6 matches, it will remind you that your not quite as bad as you seem and you will see some fun teams, as potatoes can be very aggressive at that tier. (they die fun too!)

This exactly. T10 is a toss-up whenever you hit battle.

[O7]
Members
599 posts
14,499 battles
Just now, Panic512 said:

This exactly. T10 is a toss-up whenever you hit battle.

Not if you play in a division.  So many people complain about how terrible the game is, yet they refuse to take advantage of a massive advantage that you can use at any time.. find some friends and play together on voice come.  Not only will you be able to hard carry more games, you'll also have far more fun doing it.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
12 minutes ago, VGLance said:

I'm not saying there aren't overly passive players.  But the ratio is extremely bent to aggression, meaning there are tons more losses happening due to suiciders than passive players.  The key to recognizing this is to not count passive play as the reason for the loss when it was a direct result of crappers dying early.  For example, show me a video replay of a match where all 12 players lived past 10 minutes and lost.  You'll never find one.  But it's actually really easy to submit replay videos of 5+ ships dying before 5 minutes where the match is a loss.

If you put as much weight as you seem to be on remembering those much rarer examples of passive players balling up like that, it will put a cap on your growth through the learning curve because it won't hit you consistently on a subconscious level at every minute of every match how important it is to protect the health of your ship while still doing as much damage as you can.

over the long haul I see what you're saying and agree... I disagree about the rarity of the passive play right now though. wish I did record some of those matches to show you :Smile_teethhappy:

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles
Just now, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Not if you play in a division.  So many people complain about how terrible the game is, yet they refuse to take advantage of a massive advantage that you can use at any time.. find some friends and play together on voice come.  Not only will you be able to hard carry more games, you'll also have far more fun doing it.

I usually either 2 man or 3 man div. If I solo I don't have enough help. If I 3 man usually there is enough help to swing the game.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
462 posts
4,642 battles
59 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

good advice - though simply finding another game to play for a while is also a solution... I live on Big Island of HI - have a raging brush fire a mile or so from my house, not threatening this direction but smoke is bad, and a raging volcano on other side of island. Air quality right now is terrible - so spending more time inside than usual... 

Well at least you should be real good at dodging HE shells. :Smile_hiding:

Its summer vacation,  lots of kids playing in dads account,  Had an Iowa in one game never landed a single round on target,  came in dead last with his only damage 6 planes shot down. 

Lots of salt in that game.