You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RustyOldFart

In all honesty why would you sit full broadside in a Minotaur?

26 comments in this topic

Members
3,783 posts

Why would a Minotaur player want to sit full broadside in smoke?  I don't understand it.  Do they think they are safe?  I'm not trying to promote myself with this but yea.  I mean had this game happen and one decided to sit sideways with about half of his hit points left.  Nope I wasn't havin' it.  In the end Minotaur went bye bye.  When I played my Minotaur if I sat in my smoke I was never full on broadside.  I hope this individual that I shot learned a viable lesson from this.

• Boring 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,052 posts
5,820 battles

well my alabama need to hit the purple score.

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles

Reason 1.

To shoot all its guns and have the best possible Torp arc

Reason 2.

Full broadside means more overpens when getting hit from closer ranges. 

• Cool 2

Members
3,783 posts
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

Reason 1.

Reason 2.

Even still being full broadside is borderline suicide in those things.

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,345 battles

The Mino was not sitting in smoke full broadside?!?

it appears he was trying to position himself and got spotted and your shot got him.

Nice shot and all but no need to belittle the Mino...

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles
Just now, torpsRus said:

Even still being full broadside is borderline suicide in those things.

Agreed, but you wanted some reasons, so I gave you a couple lol

Members
3,783 posts
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

Agreed, but you wanted some reasons, so I gave you a couple lol

True lol.  But even still I hope that poor guy learned a lesson lol.

[FML]
Members
2,530 posts
12,050 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Reason 1.

Reason 2.

Agreed. 

Reason 3.

You are just as likely to get citted on any angle, so there isn’t much to gain by angling.

Reason 4.

You can move further faster in smoke relative to the person shooting at you to increase the chances of misses.

Still, these reasons don’t negate 1) Radar is bad, and 2) changes to gun bloom in smoke were bad. 

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,322 posts

I asked that same thing about a Mino that beached himself about 9km from my Republique, broadside.   I didn't argue my luck and just vapourized the poor guy, but it's still an odd turn of events

• Boring 1

Members
3,783 posts
3 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I asked that same thing about a Mino that beached himself about 9km from my Republique, broadside. 

Opps House GIF - Houes DrHouse HughLaurie GIFs

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Stuff like this happens pretty much every battle. That, and calling someone out for poor play is messed up.

• Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,571 posts

In all honesty, why would you troll players after hiding your stats? 

Doesn't look like the name change has helped.....:Smile_glasses:

• Funny 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

In all honesty, why would you troll players after hiding your stats? 

Doesn't look like the name change has helped.....:Smile_glasses:

Your comment made me laugh. Thanks.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
910 posts
6,170 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

Why would a Minotaur player want to sit full broadside in smoke?  I don't understand it.  Do they think they are safe?  I'm not trying to promote myself with this but yea.  I mean had this game happen and one decided to sit sideways with about half of his hit points left.  Nope I wasn't havin' it.  In the end Minotaur went bye bye.  When I played my Minotaur if I sat in my smoke I was never full on broadside.  I hope this individual that I shot learned a viable lesson from this.

Because WG makes arcade games with no skill barrier your way to the top if your persistent.

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

Not entirely sure what's noteworthy about a cruiser going broadside. That happens literally every game. 

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,322 posts

How about you can't angle to every threat as a reason? Most times you end up broadside to someone.

No, of course not, but you can put yourself in a mostly-angled position sorta between all major threats. As long as you're not 90-degrees between things you should be fine

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,322 posts
12 hours ago, torpsRus said:

Having reviewed the footage, it seems to me like he hadn't considered a battleship to be moving so far forward. The main issue I see with his actions is lack of situational awareness, or, he was like me and just doesn't give a pinch of goose-spit and just plays for fun, not wins.

Though I should probably point out, this thread can be considered name-and-shame and a moderator might take offense to that.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,297 posts
14,422 battles

Us potato players like more pew-pew power with all guns blazing...

:cap_rambo:

I learned not to do that with my Neptune. 

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,322 posts
3 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Us potato players like more pew-pew power with all guns blazing...

Hey, your sig says it all, "If it's stupid but it works, it's still stupid... but dam was it fun."
If someone is in a game only to win, then they should just find something they can play where they input a cheat code. While I feel for the cruiser, it's kinda to be expected when a battleship is firing at you. Cruisers aren't made of armour, otherwise they'd be battleships

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
3,844 posts
14,947 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

IMO. I can't blame a MINO or a De Moines driver for what they done. I will lay down my argument as to why.

1. Tier 10 is god tier for the BB class. There is no other class in where if the BBs dont do well, the other class cant carry the win. Its not going to happen
  2. Even with all this power BBs can demonstrate, there is A LOT of passive play. 
  3. In a cruiser, Once you shoot, BBs will aim for the cruiser, if its a MINO or a DE Moines, you don;t need a Citadel to get 1/4 of your HP with one salvo. A BB just need to sneeze.
  4. There is a serious balance issue in where its easy to delete a Mino or a De moines in one salvo, or just 1/4 HP with only penetrations.

When I grind in the De Moines. Its  a chore for sure, a real challenge, an unforgiving ship. IMO I think the ATL has better resistance at taking BB shells then the De Moines. I had fun in the ATL then in the De moines so far. Its my point of view but in summery, BBs at tier 10 are over powered and its a balance struggle. Thank god I am not a Super tester to try to figure this balance issue out.

Beta Testers
1,607 posts
9,868 battles
48 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

The Mino was not sitting in smoke full broadside?!?

it appears he was trying to position himself and got spotted and your shot got him.

Nice shot and all but no need to belittle the Mino...

This.  You spotted him at approximately 2:01 in that clip.  Your radar had been on cooldown for approximately 24 seconds at that point, and he is at greater than 8km from you, which is greater than his detection while firing in smoke.  Even if you were close enough to detect him after firing, we know it was not that because he would have remained lit for 20 seconds.  Since you spotted him, we know it was not someone else's radar as well.  That means it was a visual spot, and you can clearly see forward movement right before he does disappear.

Thus, he was not "sitting" in smoke, broadside or otherwise.   As Gerrbertz says, he was moving into position as you came around that point and spotted him.  In fact, what it looks like happened is that he popped smoke before you came around the point but likely out ran the first puff (i.e., you can see a smoke puff rendering behind him as you spot him).  You came around the corner and spotted him right as his next puff generated, concealing him.

Thus, he may have been better off slowing sooner so that he wouldn't out run the first puff, and he may have been better off turning more towards/away from the point sooner so he was already more angled when you came around the corner.  However, as Gerbetz said, it was a nice shot, but it was more about luck that you just happened to come around the corner right at the perfect time to be able to spot him long enough to make the shot than it was about his angle to you.  Had you come around a second or so later, you would not have seen him to be able to make that shot.  And you have no idea what actions he would have taken had you not gotten that chance.

• Cool 1

Members
855 posts
3,736 battles
2 hours ago, torpsRus said:

Most likely the mino in question didn't pay attention to his mini map and thought he was going to stay undetected until the smoke screen was set. Its suicide to slow down and smoke in a mino detected, that is what is instant death.