Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FaDe_Galaxy

Small Montana Buff

17 comments in this topic

[-BN-]
Members
20 posts
6,683 battles

Montana is a fairly strong ship, and I love playing it, however, I think that she needs a small buff to her maneuverability in forms of rudder shift, turning radius and speed concerns. Montana has the slowest rudder of the tier 10 battleships, and a larger turning radius than Yamato, and Conqueror. While having the smallest caliber guns at tier 10, and doesn't really fit any niches that are noticeably great other than the AA suite. Kurfurst has brawling power, Yamato has the long range, very hard hitting guns, Republique has speed in both Main battery reload and its sailing speed, Conqueror has the HE, stealth, and repair potential, while Montana has only the AA niche that stands out. Almost every player knows AA isn't very relevant in this meta so i believe it is necessary to buff Montana slightly to keep her up with the current Tier X bbs. So, I propose these revisions-

1.) Reduce Montana's standard rudder shift time from 22.2 seconds to 17 seconds. This would give Montana the fastest rudder at tier 10 BBs, and the rudder shift module would reduce this to 13.6-second rudder shift without sacrificing any non-normal modules.

2.) Reduce the turning radius from 950m to 910m. This wouldn't make it the best turning compared to Yamato or conqueror, but brings it a little bit more in line with the Tier 10s, this would also help against aircraft carriers and their bombers.

3.)Reduce speed lost in turn very slightly not by much, however, in a turn she slows down very quickly.

Doing these changes I feel would put Montana in the maneuverability niche that I think she needs, and would make her a bit more viable in the current meta that lacks a super maneuverable tier 10 battleship

Edited by FaDe_Galaxy
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles

Just hold on, the CV rework may very well end up making AA ships far more important. and you still get the 12 Main Guns and accurate long range fire on Montana right? ( I use Missouri so not entirely sure on Montana gun characteristics, I assume them should be similar or improved over the tier 9)

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles

Considering montana is the second longest bb behind the Kurfurst, the longer rudder shift makes sense. You mention a small turning radius would help agaisnt aircraft carriers, but if your worried about that many planes getting through her AA something is wrong. Second for the weight of the montana, it makes sense that she drops speed quickly in a turn.

Members
463 posts
9,086 battles

Montana has good AA defense, torpedo dmg reduction, extremely accurate guns that can devastating strike DDs and Cruisers, and can break even against B.B. most of the time.  Not the worst BB in most situations 

[-BN-]
Members
20 posts
6,683 battles
6 hours ago, Visidious said:

Montana has good AA defense, torpedo dmg reduction, extremely accurate guns that can devastating strike DDs and Cruisers, and can break even against B.B. most of the time.  Not the worst BB in most situations 

I never said it was a bad ship by any stretch of the imagination, it just doesn't have a  place in the meta, its guns are ok but they aren't as good as you hype them up to be, they are by a lot, the smallest caliber in tier 10 and doesn't penetrate targets as easily as the other tier 10s. Also all tier 10 bbs can get a devastating strike on any destroyer and/ or cruiser, however, Montana isn't as good at penetrating more specifically, the high tier heavy cruisers. But that's not the point, she needs a niche that I suggested could be maneuverability to balance it out a little bit.

Edited by FaDe_Galaxy

[-BN-]
Members
20 posts
6,683 battles
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Just hold on, the CV rework may very well end up making AA ships far more important. and you still get the 12 Main Guns and accurate long range fire on Montana right? ( I use Missouri so not entirely sure on Montana gun characteristics, I assume them should be similar or improved over the tier 9)

It can hit hard, but not as hard as the other tier 10 bbs due to the small caliber of her guns in comparison to the other tier 10 bbs, she lacks penetration and you get more breaks and ricochets than the other battleships. Montana doesn't have a relevant niche in this meta, and these small buffs I believe should bring her to her best potential

[WOLF3]
Members
19,765 posts
18,135 battles

I disagree with any type of buffs for Montana.

1.  She got her citadel lowered a while back and that has made her extremely durable compared to the past.

2.  Yamato actually has a citadel to protect, unlike Montana's waterline citadel.

BWq1lfB.jpg

Eyez9FP.jpg

Montana is fine.

The balance of Tier X BBs is just fine and nothing needs to happen to disrupt this.

4w39LzE.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,430 posts
14,914 battles

Montana may not be a mountain goat but it does not need any buffs. The legendary upgrade actually reduces rudder shift by -30% so it does what you want. With how good the ship is overall your suggested buff, IMO, would make it borderline OP.

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I disagree with any type of buffs for Montana.

1.  She got her citadel lowered a while back and that has made her extremely durable compared to the past.

2.  Yamato actually has a citadel to protect, unlike Montana's waterline citadel.

BWq1lfB.jpg

Eyez9FP.jpg

Montana is fine.

The balance of Tier X BBs is just fine and nothing needs to happen to disrupt this.

4w39LzE.jpg

Yeah I can vouch for Montana having tough citadel to hit, even my Yamato sometimes takes multiple salvoes just to get 1 citadel on a full broadside Montana.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,765 posts
18,135 battles
34 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I can vouch for Montana having tough citadel to hit, even my Yamato sometimes takes multiple salvoes just to get 1 citadel on a full broadside Montana.

The best way for Yamato to citadel Montana is ironically, through the bow.  It's funny to see Montana players that don't know any better think they can bow tank those 460s.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[UN1]
Members
566 posts
2,068 battles

Yeah, I'd be careful making any changes here.  The Montana actually has the highest alpha strike potential of all the T10 battleships, and has few weaknesses that can be exploited.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,268 posts
6,042 battles

Realistically the Montana would have had an excellent turning radius similar to the South Dakota class so I can't say I'd disagree with this buff although the T10 BBs are pretty well balanced now.

I'd prefer to see the Montana reduced to her design speed of 28 knots in exchange for better secondary range and the missing armor.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,024 posts
7,941 battles

Never had any problem getting citadel hits on Montana. Her citadel deck can be overmatched by 406mm+ guns.

GK, Republique and Conqueror all have citadels that are much harder to hit.

Edited by Exciton8964

Members
1,284 posts
856 battles

Montana as a whole is fine right now, but all the missing armor does irritate me. I would be fine with a reduction to 28 knots while improving rudder shift and giving it the missing deck and turret armor. I would even be fine with a slight raise of the citadel over the machinery spaces, but Montana's citadel is perfectly accessible. As a matter of fact, the Montana is currently the second easiest Tier 10 battleship to citadel after the Yamato.

Members
152 posts
9,676 battles

If you take your time and aim well the guns can be very accurate and easy to get citadel hits.  It has good torpedo protection and at speed she turns ok for a big ship.  I'd like 10 second reload on the Montana, that'd be fun for a while till everyone had the same ship.  That's why they have to be pretty balanced overall but different for different playing styles.

Members
152 posts
9,676 battles

You got part of what you wanted!  Get the Enhanced Damage Control System.  Rudder shift -30%.  It makes a huge difference.  Almost as fast as a tier X cruiser like the DM but not quite.  Very little oversteer after full rudder on a tight corner.  The turning radius seems shorter but only because you get full rudder faster.   Should be easy enough to get there is plenty of time.

Sign in to follow this