You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Murakumo_96

2 DDs inside smoke, what can go wrong?

26 comments in this topic

[B2P]
Members
288 posts
8,519 battles

How does a hydro DD get hit by torps right after he gets inside the smoke in a obviously contested cap?

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Awesome! And that, sports fans, is why I rarely park inside a smoke cloud while driving DDs and smoke equipped Cruisers.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,784 battles

That kind of DDs are what's called "moron supreme DDs".

Both of them are morons, but one is a selfish moron. First DD pops smokes for no reason in cap is a moron. Then the second DD thinking "oh i'll just farm dmg on that guy's smoke saving mine for my own escape, brilliant!" So the second DD is a selfish moron supreme.

Chances are the reds lost the game decisively due to the huge misplay of their DDs.

Another type of the common moron supreme DD is the type that rushes towards a rock flank speed at the start of the match, hugs the rock and basically blinds themselves. Then gets radared and dies, team spotted nothing and have no idea what they are facing on that flank.

Edited by NeutralState

[-BRS-]
Members
415 posts
12,712 battles

3 DD's left............how did the match finish?

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,021 posts
4,848 battles

I love those kinda people....you see the smoke cloud, you throw in a wave...you learn this at like tier 3. It shocks me when you smash people at tier 10 like that.

You can tell who used a CC to get to the top and who didn't. 

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,516 battles

Z-23 was a moron. Contesting a cap in a KM DD you always pop Hydro and Engine boost so you can dodge the torps you know are coming to the smoke.

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,918 battles

They should learn by no later than T4 to never, ever do that.  The smoke is just a big neon sign saying "I'm right here!  Come radar/hydro/blind fire/torp me to the bottom of the sea!"  Not to mention blocking the vision for the rest of their team mates.

• Boring 1

[B2P]
Members
288 posts
8,519 battles
On 1/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, Gary_P said:

3 DD's left............how did the match finish?

Sorry for the super late reply (I forgot to follow the post and didn't get notification, tought no one had comented). We won, easly, even if my team was focusing on A.

Spoiler

shot-18.08.01_01.56.45-0121.jpg?width=88 

shot-18.08.01_01.56.48-0318.jpg?width=88

shot-18.08.01_01.56.53-0033.jpg?width=88

On 1/8/2018 at 5:10 PM, VGLance said:

They should learn by no later than T4 to never, ever do that.  The smoke is just a big neon sign saying "I'm right here!  Come radar/hydro/blind fire/torp me to the bottom of the sea!"  Not to mention blocking the vision for the rest of their team mates.

Yeah, I absolutely hate when DDs enter a cap and pop smoke immediately even if he is not detected, even worst, when the cap is not even contested...

[O7]
Members
600 posts
14,499 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 5:10 PM, VGLance said:

These are the same dd players that claim "dds are unplayable at high tier"  some players never learn basic rules and then claim the game is poorly balanced.  

[DUCC]
Members
2,018 posts
7,082 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 8:10 PM, VGLance said:

And by T5 they should learn that the answer to every question is "it depends." Middle of the smoke is pointless and a terrible idea unless there's natural cover. You can be a bit lazy if you know exactly where all the torps can come from. Edge of the smoke is fine because good DD players won't let you kill them early. If someone else overextended, damage farming is perfectly reasonable. Most people match the stupidity of smoke camping by torping the smoke and not timing it for the escape routes. That's a wasted torp salvo (and a consumable in the Akizuki's case).

Good strats are only good if the enemies do what you expect them to do. The best players are better at reading the situation. Any jagoff can memorize something like smoke = torp.

Edited by awildseaking

[TNG]
Members
2,229 posts
10,918 battles
12 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

And by T5 they should learn that the answer to every question is "it depends." Middle of the smoke is pointless and a terrible idea unless there's natural cover. You can be a bit lazy if you know exactly where all the torps can come from. Edge of the smoke is fine because good DD players won't let you kill them early. If someone else overextended, damage farming is perfectly reasonable. Most people match the stupidity of smoke camping by torping the smoke and not timing it for the escape routes. That's a wasted torp salvo (and a consumable in the Akizuki's case).

Good strats are only good if the enemies do what you expect them to do. The best players are better at reading the situation. Any jagoff can memorize something like smoke = torp.

I'm mostly referring to DDs that charge the caps at the start of the battle.  Especially when the cap is the middle cap.  You have players doing this in their Shima and you need to have an IQ below 50 to do it and they don't only do it, they do it repeatedly match after match expecting a different result and always blaming the rest of the team for their sinking in less than 3 min from the start of the match.  They're not being punished enough for it that it changes their behavior.  Yet the rest of us get punished for it.  This is why the game loses players as fast as they get new subscribers.  The game stops being fun when you realize you're playing with such a high population of players with less intelligence than a speed bump.

[B2P]
Members
288 posts
8,519 battles
On 10/8/2018 at 2:14 PM, bfk_ferlyfe said:

These are the same dd players that claim "dds are unplayable at high tier"  some players never learn basic rules and then claim the game is poorly balanced.

Indeed, DDs are super fun to play, the Shiratsuyu is a very fun dd without smoke, I got the Akizuki in like 12 battles because she is so good (I had a lot of camos and great games, but my stats kinda droped yesterday, I had some questionable games). I just don't plaay DDs enough, because I love Cruisers so much.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:24 PM, awildseaking said:

Well, if you see a DD enters a cap and instantly smokes, then she is asking to get torped if said cap is contested. 

If the ship has some time spamming from that smoke then is a no torp for me, I better rush and wait for it to fade and gun her down.

If another ship is close to that smoke you can topr him with a chance of also hitting the DD.

There are many situations, and as the DD torping the smoke you need to read in order to succeed with the salvo, otherwise, as you said, is a wasted consumable.

[B2P]
Members
288 posts
8,519 battles
3 hours ago, Shinnidan said:

hahah...done that before...lol ^_^ 

Pretty funny when it happens, isn't it?

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,065 battles
16 minutes ago, Murakumo_96 said:

Pretty funny when it happens, isn't it?

yeah....at first...you kinda firing blind in that smoke...but then ...BOOM...you hit something O_O ...its like...wth?! and then hit another ...i think i sank 2 and hit a third...soon after the shock is over...you bust out laughing....:Smile_teethhappy:

i forgot to mention...i was in  the Atlanta....and you know the torp firing range of Atlanta is like 4K so i was pretty much really close to the smoke...off my port trops...then made a massive U-turn then fired my starboard torps. all the whole time why they didnt take a shot at me...(this was also b4 they added radar to the Atlanta)....if they fired id just unload all my guns in the area is seen it shoot from...and set the whole area ablaze.  i guess they were afraid of that and just sat there....lol 

Edited by Shinnidan

[B2P]
Members
288 posts
8,519 battles
6 hours ago, Shinnidan said:

yeah....at first...you kinda firing blind in that smoke...but then ...BOOM...you hit something O_O ...its like...wth?! and then hit another ...i think i sank 2 and hit a third...soon after the shock is over...you bust out laughing....:Smile_teethhappy:

i forgot to mention...i was in  the Atlanta....and you know the torp firing range of Atlanta is like 4K so i was pretty much really close to the smoke...off my port trops...then made a massive U-turn then fired my starboard torps. all the whole time why they didnt take a shot at me...(this was also b4 they added radar to the Atlanta)....if they fired id just unload all my guns in the area is seen it shoot from...and set the whole area ablaze.  i guess they were afraid of that and just sat there....lol 

Yeah, this particular clip happend at like 2 am, my parents were asleep and I started laughing pretty loud :cap_haloween:

My favorite ship to do this is by far the Shiratsuyu, 16 torps in the water are pretty hard to dodge.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,620 posts
14,862 battles

The beauty of WOWS is we can learn from our Darwinian fails.   I've failed in smoke like this many times in my days.  Over time, I've adapted...and learned.  I still camp smoke...but only with the positioning and inertia necessary to cover the threat vectors and thread the threat when it emerges.

• Cool 1

[B2P]
Members
288 posts
8,519 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

The beauty of WOWS is we can learn from our Darwinian fails.   I've failed in smoke like this many times in my days.  Over time, I've adapted...and learned.  I still camp smoke...but only with the positioning and inertia necessary to cover the threat vectors and thread the threat when it emerges.

It has happend to me as well, is been a long time since then... but with RN Cruisers, even with hydro I still get torped :fish_boom:

[CAST]
Members
1,615 posts
8,096 battles

I have gotten a lot of "first blood" achievements by torping smoke.  It never gets old.

I use smoke more for escaping than concealment these days.  I almost never sit in it unless I know there is no way there will be torps coming, or no way I am going to be radared as a sitting duck.  I have even used smoke to bait an enemy DD or radar ship if I don't know where they are.  Lay smoke and then move out of it right away to spot for my team, just to see where the torps come from or to cause an enemy ship to use one of its radar consumables.

[O7]
Members
600 posts
14,499 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Wait.. I'm not following.... are you claiming you can learn from mistakes and improve?  This isn't something most of the forum seems to believe in.  They just want to play their ship one way and never adapt to new mechanics or metas.