Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

Daring captain build?

9 comments in this topic

Members
828 posts
6,367 battles

what is the preferred captain build for the new RN DD Daring? Will it require IFHE? If so I get to use my belfast on it. save the need to retrain another captain!

[OO7]
Members
4,478 posts
11,039 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You realize that anyone who could answer that is under the NDA, right?

Specs are out there, so most can be assumed. Haven't paid attention except to know it looks like it will require IFHE.

Members
828 posts
6,367 battles
5 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You realize that anyone who could answer that is under the NDA, right?

First impression videos are already out...

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles

I'll probably end up using something like this, at least initially assuming they remain as-is.  May end up killing off SI to go with BFT, and will be using the gun reload mod.  I see me using it more like a Grozovoi than a Gearing.

image.png.8d5f23c163c5283f158e606ee41f65ad.png

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,828 posts
7,053 battles
59 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

Will it require IFHE?

That seems to be the general consensus of those WG-CC's who have made YT vids on it so far. I see it remaining that way unless they give the 114mm guns a quarter-pen rule the way they did the Japanese rapid-fire high-tier 100mm. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,648 posts
11,719 battles

It's going to need IFHE and CE for certain. Some of the other skills are a little more interesting.

Daring Captain Skill Thoughts:

No Brainers:

Concealment Expert. Last Stand. Adrenalin Rush. IFHE - required to penetrate 19mm DD hulls. That may change if WG do thin destroyer plate thicknesses to prevent 'BB AYPEEEE'. IFHE on the 114's is a bit of a waste otherwise, bumping you only to 25mm which is insufficient to penetrate standard T8+ cruisers, let alone the 27-32mm of some heavy cruisers and battleships. Unlike the IJN 100mm's, if that change does go through IFHE is probably one to drop.

Priority Target. Though if you're strapped for points Priority Target vs. Preventative Maintenance is a bit of a choice, if spotted assume 'lots' are targeting you. You need to use your DPM rapidly, losing guns to destroyer counterfire cuts that down a lot, so PM is a nice thought, especially as your bow is a tall target.

Interesting Picks:

Usually Superintendent is a great DD pick, but Daring only has smoke and the hydro to pick up extra charges in.

With the special module the hydroacoustic lasts 217s with 120s downtime. If you trigger your first 2 mins into the game (because you're positioning and red's don't have torpedoes loaded yet) the second will be available at 7:37 mins , that one will allow you to trigger a third at 13:14, which will expire at 16:51. There's a pretty good chance you'll be dead by then, even if not you won't get hydro No. 4 until 18:51 and won't use it all. Also in that scenario if you don't feel the need to trigger the hydro on cooldown you'll also not use the 4th.

The smoke isn't that great, but it has long linger time. It has one of the shorter emission times at 15s (Shima 20s, Gearing 30s) so not that good for smoking allies. It does last 113s though. Three instead of four charges of smoke may be a big plus, but burning each smoke on cool-down still takes (saying 2 mins into the game for No.1 as well) about 8 minutes. There's a decent risk of running short of smoke.

Survivability Expert and Basic Firing Training to double-down on the DPM advantage is potentially important. If you don't take BFT and a Gearing does then your DPM edge is just 3%, though you are more likely to have the Main Battery Mod. 3 for -12% to reload time. Survivability Expert is well worth it on any build.

Jack of all Trades might be an interesting one, especially on Jack/Bert Dunkirk where they get 10% rather than 5% cooldown, shortening your hydro-down to about 108s, or 100s with the flag. However Jack Dunkirk is poorly suited to this ship as his better Expert Marksman skill is wasted and Smoke Screen Expert is a waste of time. In competition with Last Stand and Adrenalin Rush it's hard to justify.

Not worth taking:

The Torpedoes are a secondary weapon and likely to be opportunistic rather than the focus, I wouldn't bother with Torpedo Armament Expertise. Similarly Torpedo Acceleration is a terrible idea on this ship, which already suffers in range.

Expert Marksman (25'/s is plenty, even if you take MBM3 for about 22'/s).

The carrier ones (duh) and also High Alert. Expert Loader (duh). MFCAA - your AA at 53 DPS is similar to Fletcher, but with no DFAA it's not worth it.

Demolition Expert. The 2% increase props you up from 7% to 9%. That is not a proportionally huge change (28% increase) vs. say on Gearing (40% increase). In a crowded field and given you throw 24 RPM I don't think it's worth it.

Advanced Firing Training - shell arcs aren't terrible on paper, but 13.8km is already masses and 16.6 is meme-only. The AA isn't worth the investment either.

XYJmk2o.jpg

Daring Ship Module Thoughts:

Slot 1 - Main Armament Mod 1. You can't afford to lose turrets where you don't have to. You're a T10 DD so should have the detonation flag making Magazine Mod pointless.

Slot 2 - All the normal ones are badm, but of the 3 I'd use Propulsion Mod to regain speed faster when on Last Stand. I'd use the Hydroacoustic Search Special module if you have it available.

Slot 3 - Aiming Systems Mod 1.

Difficult choices include at Slot 4, between Steering Gears Mod. 2 (-20% to rudder shift time) and Propulsion Modification 2 (-50% to full power time, or faster acceleration from 0-6kt or so). Without access to engine boost and with only 35kt speed and a prevalence of 'surprise radar' at T10 the Propulsion Mod is attractive. On the other hand Daring's rudder shift is a pretty poor 4.6s, for comparison Gearing has 3.3s, Shimakaze 3s, sluggish Z-52 has 4.5s, and the fatty Grozovoi has 4.6s too. Reducing it by 20% is quite attractive. I'd plump for steering gears.

Slot 5 isn't difficult - you go Concealment Module 1.

Slot 6 I think has to be the Main Battery Modification one for -12% to gun reload time but -13% to traverse. With it traverse is still acceptable (better than Khaba which usually doesn't need it) and the torpedoes are not worth doubling-down on. Reducing reload on 10km, 62kt, 120s reload weapons (i.e. worse than Fletcher's) isn't worth it in my book. The Gun Fire Control System Mod for +16% range is also silly, 13.8 is again, plenty.

UZL7mXn.jpg

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,499 posts
15,415 battles

@_Dracarys A Daring Captain would not have any skills assigned but rather go naked until all 19 points are earned. A rather daring quest to take on. I am doing so right now and my naked commanders are as good as my 19 pointers. Go figure.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I'd probably go with the following for a DDE role:

PT - LS - Hydro - CE - MFCAA - AFT - PM

Notable Module: TASM1, AAM2, AAM3 

Yes, it's quite hampered on the Offensive side BUT on the support aspects your Torpedo Spotting and Long Range AA might be a highly valued asset when Divisioned with a CV or as a EWS ship for Torpedoes. 

For Artillery DD role:

PT - LS - SE - IFHE - RDF - AR - SSE - IFA

Notable Module: CSM1 

While the lack of CE makes cap contests a touch more difficult, having RDF combined with Hydro allows for Pseudo Spotting beyond your Concealment. Likewise with their current Lack of Speed Boost, knowledge of ships infront of your position is more critical for escape. 

Hybrid EWS/Artillery role:

PT - LS - Hydro - RDF - DE - TAE/BFT - AR - PM

Notable Module: TASM1 

Basically you're ALL DoTs and no Alpha. Sure your %Fire isn't highest, but your RoF is supposedly what will make it up the differences. 

---

The thing with the DP 114s is IF after enough testing they decide to grant them a similar HE pen performance as the IJN 10cm received. 

But this whole exercise in build options is 'fun' to a point while awaiting release. 

I'd hope with the Defensive Aspect of their design the Buff the RN Hydro. Not for ship spotting but for Torpedo Spotting. 

Possibly give them access to DFAA either as a dual choice similar to the USN CLs. Or if they return Speed Boost as an option the ability to swap something out. 

Sign in to follow this