You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Make ranked great again!!

70 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles

So we now know the rewards and the tiers of Ranked season 10. I predict a dismal, apathetic, and ultimately unsuccessful ranked season in terms of participation and numbers of rank out's. The exact same reasons why Clan Battles is seeing a downturn of participation are going to be repeated in ranked.

First off is Ranked season 10 being the exact same ranks as season 9. While I enjoy high tier play, I do also like variety and playing different tiers in ranked, trying different ships in the changed meta of each season. I would love to see a t9 season... T6 was a fun tier a few seasons ago. I understand the aversion of some to t7, t5, t4... But that could be averted by excluding ships that have been removed from general sale (Like the Konig Albert... :Smile_trollface:). By repeating the same tiers for multiple seasons, many players will find it to be getting stale and boring. This will lead to less players playing ranked as they get bored. I was excited for a new tier of ranked and to find it the same as last season, I am less than enthralled by that prospect. I'll give it a go, but if I get bored, then I'll likely stop playing.

Second are the rewards. Before, the ultimate reward was only obtained by reaching rank 1. now the steel rewards are stepped and amounts can be obtained in each league. By getting to rank 5 a player will have obtained 3000 steel. By going from rank 5 to rank 1, a player will obtain another 2500 steel. I don't feel that that is enough of a reward to encourage most players that hit rank 5 to continue on in the bracket to rank 1. I predict most players will quit ranked upon reaching rank 5. This will lead to limited population in rank 5 to 1 and extremely long queue times for those that want to push to rank 1. That will in turn increase their frustration and lead to them ditching the rank 5 to 1 queue despite wanting to reach rank 1. I don't disagree with making steel available for lower leagues, but the amount available for rank 1 is not enough to keep the majority of players that previously pushed to rank 1 engaged enough to do it.

Don't agree with me? Here's an example: In past seasons, you had to reach rank 1 three seasons in a row to win a Flint. A player can now reach rank 5 three seasons in a row and obtain 9000 steel, which will allow them to purchase the Flint when using the arsenal coupon. Granted you won't have enough steel left over to purchase a Black after another 2 seasons, but I can't see players caring enough to put with the repeated negatives we see each and every season that people complain about in ranked. Ask yourself this? How willing are you to push from rank 5 to rank 1, now that you can get the majority of the steel for hitting rank 5? How willing do you think the general player base that plays ranked will be to try and rank out wit the rewards set up this way?

I enjoy ranked for the most part, but if WG can't keep it fresh and is setting up Rank 5 to 1 to be vacated by most players, I will be disappointed and can see myself not really caring enough to play as much as I have in previous seasons. Why can't ranked be fun anymore WG?? Why does it have to be boring and stale?? Why not go down to t6 again or t5, or shoot, let's go have fun in T3. The way you are setting it up now, is setting it up for failure. Don't say you weren't warned...

• Cool 13

[SQUAD]
Members
8,129 posts
8,404 battles

If it's going to be T10, that alone is going to severely drop the numbers playing, especially after how it went last season, and yet another T10 CB season. Most don't like T10, and a lot of us are burned out on T10 right now.

If it is in fact T10, I for one won't play.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,345 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

So we now know the rewards and the tiers of Ranked season 10. I predict a dismal, apathetic, and ultimately unsuccessful ranked season in terms of participation and numbers of rank out's. The exact same reasons why Clan Battles is seeing a downturn of participation are going to be repeated in ranked.

First off is Ranked season 10 being the exact same ranks as season 9. While I enjoy high tier play, I do also like variety and playing different tiers in ranked, trying different ships in the changed meta of each season. I would love to see a t9 season... T6 was a fun tier a few seasons ago. I understand the aversion of some to t7, t5, t4... But that could be averted by excluding ships that have been removed from general sale (Like the Konig Albert... :Smile_trollface:). By repeating the same tiers for multiple seasons, many players will find it to be getting stale and boring. This will lead to less players playing ranked as they get bored. I was excited for a new tier of ranked and to find it the same as last season, I am less than enthralled by that prospect. I'll give it a go, but if I get bored, then I'll likely stop playing.

Second are the rewards. Before, the ultimate reward was only obtained by reaching rank 1. now the steel rewards are stepped and amounts can be obtained in each league. By getting to rank 5 a player will have obtained 3000 steel. By going from rank 5 to rank 1, a player will obtain another 2500 steel. I don't feel that that is enough of a reward to encourage most players that hit rank 5 to continue on in the bracket to rank 1. I predict most players will quit ranked upon reaching rank 5. This will lead to limited population in rank 5 to 1 and extremely long queue times for those that want to push to rank 1. That will in turn increase their frustration and lead to them ditching the rank 5 to 1 queue despite wanting to reach rank 1. I don't disagree with making steel available for lower leagues, but the amount available for rank 1 is not enough to keep the majority of players that previously pushed to rank 1 engaged enough to do it.

Don't agree with me? Here's an example: In past seasons, you had to reach rank 1 three seasons in a row to win a Flint. A player can now reach rank 5 three seasons in a row and obtain 9000 steel, which will allow them to purchase the Flint when using the arsenal coupon. Granted you won't have enough steel left over to purchase a Black after another 2 seasons, but I can't see players caring enough to put with the repeated negatives we see each and every season that people complain about in ranked. Ask yourself this? How willing are you to push from rank 5 to rank 1, now that you can get the majority of the steel for hitting rank 5? How willing do you think the general player base that plays ranked will be to try and rank out wit the rewards set up this way?

I enjoy ranked for the most part, but if WG can't keep it fresh and is setting up Rank 5 to 1 to be vacated by most players, I will be disappointed and can see myself not really caring enough to play as much as I have in previous seasons. Why can't ranked be fun anymore WG?? Why does it have to be boring and stale?? Why not go down to t6 again or t5, or shoot, let's go have fun in T3. The way you are setting it up now, is setting it up for failure. Don't say you weren't warned...

Wholeheartedly agree!

Seems odd they would do the exact same ranked 

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,797 posts
12,232 battles

Problem is WG really doesn't listen to the players that much.  I am not sure how much I want to play ranked because they are going to do the same thing again.

Members
828 posts
6,367 battles
7 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

agree with your point that steel award at lower rank will drive players away from attempting to reach rank 1.

I personally disagree with your assessment that another repeat of rank 10 will reduce participation. I myself re-joice at this decision to do another T10 season because I have all the tier 10 ships and play exclusively tier 10 in randoms.

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles
Just now, _Dracarys said:

I personally disagree with your assessment that another repeat of rank 10 will reduce participation. I myself re-joice at this decision to do another T10 season because I have all the tier 10 ships and play exclusively tier 10 in randoms.

Obviously there will be some that will like that and others that won't. Same as if they did do other tiers. Not sure how many support each way though. Would you be opposed to a t9 season though?? Just to mix it up, but still be high tier?

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

WG does what WG does.

Call out the Cheerleaders to hype the crowd.

What WG doesn't see is the Seahags are the Cheerleaders.

You Cheerleaders know who you are. {You are not EYE CANDY}

Members
828 posts
6,367 battles
5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Obviously there will be some that will like that and others that won't. Same as if they did do other tiers. Not sure how many support each way though. Would you be opposed to a t9 season though?? Just to mix it up, but still be high tier?

considering I have to re-buy ships and re-train captains...i would prefer not to mess with tier 9. 

I really have no interests playing low tier ships to begin with, my preference is to stick to what works. Also, tier 10 means very few CV players, which means more consist results on my captain skill and consumable choices (ditch AFT and Defensive AA that is)

Edited by _Dracarys

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

Be my president

Despite being an active player of WoWs, I'm neither 35, nor have resided in the game long enough to run. Nor did I start my gaming career in WowS.

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles
Just now, _Dracarys said:

considering I have to re-buy ships and re-train captains...i would prefer not to mess with tier 9. 

I really have no interests playing low tier ships to begin with, my preference is to stick to what works. Also, tier 10 means very few CV players, which means more consist results on my captain skill and consumable choices (ditch AFT and Defensive AA that is)

Fair enough

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,205 battles

I hate how most of these are doing tier 10 gameplay. It's the least tier past 5 in my opinion.

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,308 posts
12,579 battles

I will do what I did last season, quickly complete the tier 8 portion and garner the rewards while avoiding the tier 10 part.

Then curiosity will overcome me, I'll get interested in seeing if this ranked season will be different.  I'll take out my Z-52 and as I contest my first cap, a Gearing from my own team will blithely dump a full load of torps into me from point blank range in an attempt to nail a Republic at 15km that is kiting away .....  "sorry -I was scoped in on the BB"  aaaaah, "you can't scope in using torps - kind of the point of that game element " - "*silence* "

Nah, the most fun seasons were tier 5/6/7/8 - even newish players understood the power and weakness of the ships they were playing.

[SALVO]
Members
20,508 posts
20,327 battles
44 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Absolutely, 100% opposed to tier 9.   I prefer using premium ships in Ranked, because I don't like nor want to have to spend doubloons to retrain captains into tech tree ships.  IIRC, all of my 19 point captains are sitting in tier 10 ships.  And I don't want to have to spend 1000 doubloons to have to train them for the  tier 9 ship and then when ranked is over, train them back to their  normal tier 10 ship.  This one thing by itself is what makes playing premium ships in Ranked a HUGE plus for me.   It doesn't matter that much to me whether the North Carolina, for example, is a little better than the Alabama. The fact that I can put my Montana skipper in the Bama makes all the difference in the world to me.

And frankly, this is the same for me, regardless of tier, be it tier 5, 6, 7, or 8.

[SALVO]
Members
20,508 posts
20,327 battles
54 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

agree with your point that steel award at lower rank will drive players away from attempting to reach rank 1.

I disagree with that point.  People who want to go for rank 1 are largely doing it for bragging rights.  I like the idea that there will be steel rewards every few ranks.  Personally, I probably won't bother trying for rank 1.  I haven't bothered in the past and probably won't bother this time around either.  The ranked grind is just too boring to me.  But I have made it to rank 10 the past few  seasons.  I find that that's  just about enough ranked play for my  taste.

[SALVO]
Members
20,508 posts
20,327 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Ducky, I think that what's needed to make Ranked great again would be more than just selecting a different tier for the battles.  I think that it would require a complete restructuring of the Ranked concept.  I think that what hurts Ranked is the extreme degree of boring grindiness inherent in the current system.

At this moment, I don't have any suggestions about how to do this.  While I think that a change in the "star" scoring system would be an improvement, I don't think that that changes the core problem with ranked, i.e. the grindiness.  Maybe I'll give it some thought and post it in this thread, if something comes to me soon.

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,977 battles
27 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I will do what I did last season, quickly complete the tier 8 portion and garner the rewards while avoiding the tier 10 part.

I will do the same, just not quickly. I have a handful of T8s and not even close to any T10s.

So another joke of ranked season is almost upon us.....

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I disagree with that point.  People who want to go for rank 1 are largely doing it for bragging rights.  I like the idea that there will be steel rewards every few ranks.  Personally, I probably won't bother trying for rank 1.  I haven't bothered in the past and probably won't bother this time around either.  The ranked grind is just too boring to me.  But I have made it to rank 10 the past few  seasons.  I find that that's  just about enough ranked play for my  taste.

Not necessarily, the bragging rights a lot of the time is the reward ships so if they can be obtained without getting to ranked 1,then there will some people that will do that. 

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
1 hour ago, gcangel82 said:

Problem is WG really doesn't listen to the players that much.  I am not sure how much I want to play ranked because they are going to do the same thing again.

They think that by doing tier ten ranked they will force people who are close to spend money to free XP to ten. Also with as much as people cried about tier 8 ranked with premium ships, I don't see them doing that again.

[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ducky, I think that what's needed to make Ranked great again would be more than just selecting a different tier for the battles.  I think that it would require a complete restructuring of the Ranked concept.  I think that what hurts Ranked is the extreme degree of boring grindiness inherent in the current system.

At this moment, I don't have any suggestions about how to do this.  While I think that a change in the "star" scoring system would be an improvement, I don't think that that changes the core problem with ranked, i.e. the grindiness.  Maybe I'll give it some thought and post it in this thread, if something comes to me soon.

I agree, but at this point they are taking what they have and letting it get stale and boring and giving players a way to get the majority of the rewards without ranking out. 

Hard seeing them trying to make ranked better or revamp when they have stopped all variance in its current form.