You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Acoustics. Any users?

11 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
195 posts
3,772 battles

Does anyone use  acoustics much? I'd like to pursue a path of destroyer hunting (no offense, DD skippers but I hate you sea rats!) but the range of under 4km for acoustic detection just seams too short be worthwhile. You could have a torpedo strike underway on you by the time you've identified the DD -or the torpedoes he's fired!

Maybe I need to spend some time in Co-Op play more to get a feel on how to use the equipment? Maybe it's better suited to smaller CA's or DD's? Maybe my Myoko is too big and not maneuverable enough for the task. Maybe I just suck at it. :(

Edited by Aurora_7

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,383 posts
3,052 battles

Hydro is more used to spot the torpedoes than it is to spot enemy destroyers. It can also be used to spot dds hiding in smoke or around an island. You can pop hydro and rush a smoke cloud and spot the dd inside. If a dd is within 4 or 5 km of you, you are either screwed or he has a death wish

• Cool 3

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
195 posts
3,772 battles

It's that 'Death Wish' part that always enters my mind. I tend to think acoustics are best used as getting an earlier warning for torpedoes but you can only have the set on for a limited time. 

[DRHS]
Members
324 posts
13,516 battles

The thing with hunting DD's is if they are smart, and most are, they'll just pull back faster than you can close and draw you into their friendly's. Radar ships have a slight advantage doing it but most are slow. German Hydro ships do it well and IJN have the speed but not good hydro or radar. The best DD hunter is a CV or German DD. DD's avoid radar ships like the plague, and  other cruisers almost as bad. The best way to hunt DD's is with teamwork.  CV/(CA/CL) combo works best, but a German DD can sub in for the CA.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Members
260 posts
5,691 battles

I enjoy DD hunting in my CAs & do it as often as practicable. 

IMO hydro is not a hunt/seek tool, its a defensive one. Your primary weapon is your Mk-1 brain (anticipating their movements) followed by the MK-2 eyeball.  I only pop hydro when I am fairly sure torps are headed my way or if the DD I am after smokes up while trying to get away. I try real hard not to use my hydro unless I truly need it. Like DC or RP when you need it most its always on cooldown. 

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
2,996 posts
4,596 battles

The best way to hunt DDs with Hydro is with another DD. German DDs do exactly that.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[187]
Members
1,350 posts
8,059 battles

You use radar to push in close...if there is a dd sighted you need to close in even closer ...wait for him to pop smoke and think he is hidden then hit the hydro and be prepared to wipe his [edited]up with deck guns or torps of your own.

Enjoy!

Members
5,330 posts
3,192 battles

Depends on the ship. In my Japanese or Russian cruisers I always take DF, because you play max range spam in them anyway and you're [edited] without it if there's a CV in the game.

[-S-R-]
Members
122 posts
6,781 battles

German DDs can use hydro to hunt other DDs. Pan Asian ones have short duration radar at high tier for the exact same reason. Both require a bit of learning and patience to use but if you want to be a dedicated DD hunter those are probably your best bet. Lo Yanf hydro can also extend pretty far in terms of ship detection too.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,936 posts
4,184 battles
39 minutes ago, GarethOfKelshim said:

Lo Yanf hydro can also extend pretty far in terms of ship detection too.

Yeah but Magnus, DD Fighter driving a DD?  I dunno.

(Love Lo Yang, though.)

[NSEW]
Members
1,086 posts

Whatever happens, don't let the uninformed to force persuade you (in DD) to push the cap without appropriate support. Specially when you're in a highest detection destroyer vs theirs.

However, please do cap when the window of opportunity comes open. Also, using Hydro acoustics when possible to assist in spotting them for your friendly ships nearby.

Personally speaking of course, what I really dislike to witness are the slow Destroyers at starting off when the countdown is done. Which will give the opposition a small lead, which translates to a large lead gap for friendly to recapture the said cap spot. I've noticed that once the cap is started by the opposition, they usually have the upper hand. Allowing them to position to reinforce said cap to be complete, then big guns coming into the picture. 

TL/DR: Quickly state your intent as a destroyer, before the countdown ends. Speed boost to said intent. Keep the initiative. Know your Destroyers strengths vs weakness whilst capping.