Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Scharnhorst woes...

14 comments in this topic

Members
4,724 posts
8,094 battles

Bought this ship last winter when she was on sale.  Did great in her until this past month. Had a 54/53% win rate for several months which is great for me!  However she went back on sale and now there are many more of them than when I got her. Have had a terrible time with her this past month. She is getting focused fired right off the bat now. Players seem now to be hip to how dangerous she can be in close. I am embarrassed to say I have dropped to a terrible 47% win rate in her in just one month. But I had a terrible July all the way around in all my ships but worst was with her. Doing better past couple of weeks however. Anyone else having a problem with Scharnhorst these days? Is it just me?  She is nowhere near as OP now as when I got her. It's like she has a big target painted on her. Comment? 

Edited by dmckay

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,703 posts
17,307 battles

She is still as potent as she was, but  people seem to forget how to play her against BBs.  She is a fantastic anti cruiser platform but I've noticed lately people still seem to forget they have HE.  Shiney Horse AP suffers against a properly angled BB.

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles

As Warped mentioned above, she is just a potent as she ever was. AP is good against dds and cruisers and shallow angle bbs. HE is good aswell. Most people tend to forget she has torps and a turtleback, so if you want some excitement you can charge a bb such as the colorado and just embarass her.

Beta Testers
91 posts
4,976 battles

I had a big drop of in my DM winrate, went from 57 to 53 this summer. The lesson here us that you need to constantly change and improve your playstyle to keep up with the times. I kept trying to radar the cap too early and it wasnt working out. Some of it can also be bad luck. Just remember to keep a mental tab on what positioning works with the ship and what does not.

Members
4,724 posts
8,094 battles
39 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

As Warped mentioned above, she is just a potent as she ever was. AP is good against dds and cruisers and shallow angle bbs. HE is good aswell. Most people tend to forget she has torps and a turtleback, so if you want some excitement you can charge a bb such as the colorado and just embarass her.

Actually if I get to within 5k of a BB that does not have torps (few do) I usually kill them or dang near end their career. She is a great BB killer but some think she is only for cruisers and DDs.  Get to 5k and you got those secondaries blasting away, your main guns, AND those torps which are fast and deadly. Actually I like to get to 3k where you can hardly miss with all 3 torps.  Issue has been I have been drawing a LOT of attention in her lately and it's gotten harder to get within knife fighting range where she excels.  I do charge BBs but just have had a bad run this past month.  It has gotten better just as of lately.  Tks and carry on mate.

Edited by dmckay

Members
4,724 posts
8,094 battles
1 hour ago, Warped_1 said:

She is still as potent as she was, but  people seem to forget how to play her against BBs.  She is a fantastic anti cruiser platform but I've noticed lately people still seem to forget they have HE.  Shiney Horse AP suffers against a properly angled BB.

I do great against BBs if I can get in close.  Been having trouble doing that lately.  She has really been drawing the fire. Tks

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,579 battles

Yea I tend to get focused in her when I play her aswell, I do agree with you on that. My strategy usually is to sit mid range and chip damage from bbs and cruisers while remaining angled. I only charge and get close more towards the end game.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,660 posts
3,603 battles

Scharnhorst gets a little more focus than all my other T7 BBs by the enemy. Its like the Belfast, everyone focuses on them because even a potato can be a potent threat in them. Players are more likely to kit them away because of its topedoes and if the captain made a secondary built they are absolutely dangerous under 8km

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
99 posts

No I am with you, I was about to post WHY I CANNOT HIT ANYTHING!!! but clearly it is not just me. They ghost nerfed it  I swear, on pane of death, You hit over pens. otherwise ALLLLL MISSES Christ o' mighty meanwhile Russian everything cannot miss with their rail guns. ALSO!!! Why do the Graf spee 11 in guns do 8400 but the scharn does 7600? Oh right Russian bias

[ALPHA]
Members
191 posts
4,423 battles
1 hour ago, Orsai_De_Cadiz said:

No I am with you, I was about to post WHY I CANNOT HIT ANYTHING!!! but clearly it is not just me. They ghost nerfed it  I swear, on pane of death, You hit over pens. otherwise ALLLLL MISSES Christ o' mighty meanwhile Russian everything cannot miss with their rail guns. ALSO!!! Why do the Graf spee 11 in guns do 8400 but the scharn does 7600? Oh right Russian bias

If I’m not mistaken, Graf Spee had a heavier and less efficient shell than Scharnhorst in real life. Also, you cannot hit anything because you angered rnjesus. You must make amends to his almighty holiness, and scrub the decks of low WR or tithe 10% of your earnings.....

Members
4,724 posts
8,094 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 5:32 PM, Psycodiver said:

Scharnhorst gets a little more focus than all my other T7 BBs by the enemy. Its like the Belfast, everyone focuses on them because even a potato can be a potent threat in them. Players are more likely to kit them away because of its topedoes and if the captain made a secondary built they are absolutely dangerous under 8km

Mine is dangerous under 8k to any ship but absolutely murderous to red BBs (if they alone) if I can get to 5k or under with good health left. Issue has been I am having a tougher time this summer getting into that range where guns, secondaries, torps, all come into play and will kill any BB in the game if you can hit with those torps.  Closer the better with the torps.  I have really worked on that in close thing in her. But win rate has dropped with her.  Just might be a bad run of luck.  Dunno.  Maybe. I had well over 50% win rate in her until past couple of months and this went back to last winter.  Maybe I should start playing her less aggressive and chose my spots better.  She is just not an effective longer range sniper against BBs however.

[RKLES]
Members
8,961 posts
10,828 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 1:38 PM, dmckay said:

Mine is dangerous under 8k to any ship but absolutely murderous to red BBs (if they alone) if I can get to 5k or under with good health left. Issue has been I am having a tougher time this summer getting into that range where guns, secondaries, torps, all come into play and will kill any BB in the game if you can hit with those torps.  Closer the better with the torps.  I have really worked on that in close thing in her. But win rate has dropped with her.  Just might be a bad run of luck.  Dunno.  Maybe. I had well over 50% win rate in her until past couple of months and this went back to last winter.  Maybe I should start playing her less aggressive and chose my spots better.  She is just not an effective longer range sniper against BBs however.

I would say take a lesson from Graf Spee since Graf Spee and Scharnhorst guns are almost the same. Try not to fire beyond 16km unless you have to, since Graf Spee s Range limit of 16km might be a nice little hint for Scharnhorst.

esoecially if you have Concealment Expert your Scharnhorst should easily be able to sneak into effective gun range. And taking a lesson from the real world version of the ship where they would fight other ships unless a nice battleship showed task force showed up in which case Scharnhorst would run away.  I just got Scharnhorst and have been doing well in it, but I know not to engage multiple BBs at the same time or else it will melt, but small groups of ships or lone ships the Scharnhorst can do very well. Your primary targets do need to be cruisers and DDs though, since the guns will lack pen for heavy BB armor, that is what Gneisenau has over the Scharnhorst is the ability to get guns more comparable to Bismarck, but Gneisenau in doing so does lose 3 gun barrels and rate of fire which makes hurting DDs more difficult.

[AAA]
Members
637 posts
7,364 battles

I play my shiny like the Hindenburg. Not afraid to use ap or he. Both are great. 

I also like to get to the flank with a cruiser or another bb and push.  Don’t be afraid to take it slow at first so not to get focused

Edited by wstugamd

Members
1,890 posts
9,820 battles

Hey

I have raised a question about several ships, most are German and they just don't seem to work as good.  I noticed it most on the Hindy and Roon which were great just before the last clan battles and then seem to become very mediocre (and I don't mean the 1 second reload nerf either).  Where Hindy was my highest damage ship (until today), but after it was very lack luster and I had about 700K+ experience in it with a 19pt captain.  I think there has been many nerf's that have been done without telling anyone, just my thoughts, all for the sake of "Balancing".

Pete 

Sign in to follow this