You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BillyHighway

Using karma in clan recruitment

29 comments in this topic

[SG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,537 battles

Why not make karma visible to clan officers? 

I'd suggest a rework of the visible system be a scale of  -3 to 50 or 100. Obviously some people have a lot more than 50 or 100, but it would just appear that they maxed out. Privately, there would continue to be no cap. The -3 gives you just enough to show people you might be an [edited]. And that's pretty much all you really get out of it. Is this person an [edited] or not? Maybe just new you say? You can still see # of games played, etc., to cross-reference.  It's just an additional indicator, not an end-all, be-all.

I'd appreciate any and all input.

Even if this resulted in cleaning up some of the saltiness in chat (which I've been guilty of as well) because a few more people want to consider their karma to get into a clan, I'd call it a success.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,033 posts
4,392 battles
20 minutes ago, BillyHighway said:

Karma is useless.  I don't talk in chat 99.9% of games, and I'll walk away with 2-3 reports from a good game.  People just spam it if they don't like how you killed them. 

Edited by XpliCT_PaiiN
  • Cool 4

[RQL]
Privateers
239 posts
10,009 battles
11 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Karma is useless.  I don't talk in chat 99.9% of games, and I'll walk away with 2-3 reports from a good game.  People just spam it if they either don't like how you killed them. 

Agreed.  I'd never base a recruitment decision on Karma.  Interviews and division testing tell me far more than a karma score does.  

• Cool 2

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
12 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Karma is useless.  I don't talk in chat 99.9% of games, and I'll walk away with 2-3 reports from a good game.  People just spam it if they either don't like how you killed them. 

This:Smile_great:

[SUCIT]
Members
1,033 posts
4,392 battles
1 minute ago, TheBigM145 said:

Agreed.  I'd never base a recruitment decision on Karma.  Interviews and division testing tell me far more than a karma score does.  

Thats exactly how we do it as well.  You learn far more about a person actually talking to them compared to reading a stat sheet about them.

[SG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,537 battles

I didn't say base a recruitment decision off of it alone. Please read my post. It would be an additional tool.

[SG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,537 battles
19 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Karma is useless.  I don't talk in chat 99.9% of games, and I'll walk away with 2-3 reports from a good game.  People just spam it if they don't like how you killed them. 

And I'm proposing two uses for it.

[SG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,537 battles
57 minutes ago, TheBigM145 said:

I never said base a recruitment decision off of it alone. It would be an additional tool. Please read my post.

• Cool 1

[RQL]
Privateers
239 posts
10,009 battles
14 minutes ago, BillyHighway said:

I never said base a recruitment decision off of it alone. It would be an additional tool. Please read my post.

I did,  twice.  To me,  as someone who makes these sorts of decisions,  I'm saying it's not really a useful tool.  Karma can be influenced,  positively and negatively, by dumb things.  I know good,  positive players with crappy karma and toxic folks with high karma.  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,033 posts
4,392 battles
17 minutes ago, BillyHighway said:

And I'm proposing two uses for it.

I read your post and I disagree with it.  The entire Karma system is flawed, that's what I'm saying.  Karma in this game is worthless, accomplishes nothing, and proves nothing.  It inherently punishes both the very bad players, and the very good players due to the nature of reports.  Don't like the way someone plays?  Report them.  Don't like how someone killed you?  Report them.  If you actually read my post, you'd see why I think it's worthless.

[SG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,537 battles
31 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Karma in this game is worthless, accomplishes nothing, and proves nothing.  It inherently punishes both the very bad players, and the very good players due to the nature of reports.  Don't like the way someone plays?  Report them.  Don't like how someone killed you?  Report them.  If you actually read my post, you'd see why I think it's worthless.

You're very negative, but I don't see any solutions.  The [edited] reporting you for killing them just because you killed them, it happens, it's gonna happen. But it's not a huge thing. If that's the only thing you're getting negatives for, what are you scared of?

I'm saying karma in this fashion could be used to help make chat less toxic as well. Is there not merit in that? Since they won't give me a Disable Chat button. 

• Cool 1

[VFW]
Members
1,177 posts
23,216 battles

To the OP...I get it.   I agree that it can just be another tool for clan leadership to help check players out.

As for the usefulness of Karma...I think of it of a way to provide a some form of feedback to another player.   I will let the player know if I compliment them and also thank them...that way after the game they have something to show...no matter how small.

I've never given bad karma for being a "very good player", only give bad karma for very bad play or toxic chat.

vr,

Members
201 posts
2,790 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 9:23 AM, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

XpliCT I report you any game I see you in, even if you kill the whole enemy team. LOL, JK

• Funny 1

[7RET]
[7RET]
Beta Testers
39 posts
3,422 battles

yeah Karma isnt a good idea to base recruitment on. hell today i made a statement that contradicted a teammates statement and i was then reported for being a bad player.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles

I think karma is a bit like stats. Whenever someone says they don't matter it means theirs sucks.

Personally I think karma is a fairly decent metric of determining how much your fellow players enjoy playing the game with you. If you are an obnoxious prig, I imagine people would give you a karma hit. Do people get negative karma for "outplaying" an opponent? I imagine it happens but have played plenty of games where there is lots of nastiness being tossed around in chat that I bet people got karma hits for it. One only has to look at the forums here to see these same people in action and also defending their lack of karma in game. Attributing it to being a good player may have a grain of truth to it, but just a grain.

• Cool 1

Members
41 posts
1,177 battles
22 hours ago, tomcat0870 said:

yeah Karma isnt a good idea to base recruitment on. hell today i made a statement that contradicted a teammates statement and i was then reported for being a bad player.

Try being reported because you kill an enemy before someone on your team (that isn't outright kill stealing), or for supporting your team, or living longer than someone else.

On top of that.. Try NEVER being complimented when you do well.

That is how my gameplay goes, and as a result, I am sick of the stupid troll catering karma crap. it needs removed.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,673 posts
12,622 battles
17 hours ago, Kapitan_War_Wizard said:

Try being reported because you kill an enemy before someone on your team (that isn't outright kill stealing), or for supporting your team, or living longer than someone else.

On top of that.. Try NEVER being complimented when you do well.

That is how my gameplay goes, and as a result, I am sick of the stupid troll catering karma crap. it needs removed.

Yep... I have experienced the same thing... FREQUENTLY!  So, I certainly tend towards agreeing with you!

Oh... and that 2nd line though.....  ABSOLUTELY!!  They are mighty quick to report, but NEVER compliment!

Members
41 posts
1,177 battles

The karma system bites me again. I'm now down to 2 points. lost 2 points in ONE battle because I am trying to grind through the horrible Fubuki, and I keep dying because I'm perma spotted and other ships walk away from my torpedoes like they are nothing. The Fubuki is WORTHLESS as hell. And because it sucks so damn badly, I lose karma. I didn't have ANY problems until I hit the Fubuki. If I had the free xp to waste, I would just free xp past the piece of crap.

Yet another example of why the karma system sucks.

Members
299 posts
6,831 battles
11 minutes ago, Kapitan_War_Wizard said:

The karma system bites me again. I'm now down to 2 points. lost 2 points in ONE battle because I am trying to grind through the horrible Fubuki, and I keep dying because I'm perma spotted and other ships walk away from my torpedoes like they are nothing. The Fubuki is WORTHLESS as hell. And because it sucks so damn badly, I lose karma. I didn't have ANY problems until I hit the Fubuki. If I had the free xp to waste, I would just free xp past the piece of crap.

Yet another example of why the karma system sucks.

I am a worthless DD player myself and understand that its due to my missplay and lack of game knowledge when it comes to destroys. I could remedy this by working on said weaknesses but I can't be asked :) so I don't play the destroyer class much.The Ship is just a tool, understanding its strengths and weaknesses goes a long way into improving your game play.

And yes I agree, katma is worthless currently and you should not worry about it much.

Edited by Robinhood_

Members
41 posts
1,177 battles

If not for loyalty to my clan, I would almost quit warships after the day ive had today in-game. karma aside, ive been run over repeatedly and gotten horrible games all day. pretty sick of getting killed so easily and so fast. cant angle, cant hit and do any real damage.. game is just not going my way at all today and its taxed my mental strength to the limit.

[MANDO]
Members
1 post
2,426 battles

Then there's clan leaders who go whining to your clan leaders because you didn't follow their orders in the match. I had that unfortunate experience recently. Three clanners of same clan (all dead FYI) barking at me "go here..." "no go there..." "what are you dong?!" then finally telling all three to STFU. So they went whining to my clan leader about it. FYI I placed second in the match. They placed mid pack.

Should have a mute button wargaming really you should.

Edited by Deasmumhan

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
7 posts
7,540 battles

I often wonder what the purpose of the karma score is other than to illustrate how much you piss other players off for whatever reason and I do mean whatever as talked about above. Do you think wargaming takes it into account when reviewing accounts that get reported or something?

I don't try to get karma but I seem to earn most of it playing ranked as a DD smoking cruisers and spotting targets for them, maybe the odd comp in random for good play but mostly negatives in random for anything out of the ordinary or if I chat at all without putting on my kid gloves. All that being said I don't think about it for clan recruitment heck these days the only thing I'm looking for are peeps who play regularly turn up in discord/ts and arent complete dickheads.

131 Karma

Edited by smolderingsteel

Supertester
32 posts
4,749 battles

I agree the Karma ratings are pointless. I've been reported for carrying my team, killing someone, "cheating" by using smoke, etc. Plus I'm a tester and just showing up in a test ship nets you down votes sometimes. Ironically, the only time my karma goes up is ranked.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
329 posts
4,963 battles

The karma system is so open to abuse it really is worthless and utilising it for recruitment will just make matters worse. Time it was removed for good.

Members
201 posts
2,790 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 9:23 AM, XpliCT_ said:

On the flip side of this, I have a +64 Karma....kinda looks like I am a saint in the game....definitely not.