Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

The Ring is (supposed to be) Fun, and we should Keep it That Way.

37 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,596 posts
5,486 battles

The spirit of the ring competition is in the right place. It might not be perfect, but it’s so supposed to be fun for the CCs and the community. I support that fully, issues aside.  I also find it unfortunate that some of the much smaller CCs have become targets of attack when its not their fault at all, and the concept of the competition was designed to give them a fighting chance.  The competition will likely be tweaked, but let's not lose site on it's full purpose and the fact that it was supposed to create laughs (and some marketing).  

Also a look at Moskva buffs which make the Moskva even more Moskva than before..

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RQL]
Privateers
241 posts
10,027 battles

I'm staying out of it personally.  Not going to go into why here, but they aren't the reasons most people think.  (Will discuss privately though) 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,701 posts

So they made a contest for a community of hyper competitive people that have a tendency towards toxicity. What could go wrong?

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,250 posts
12,391 battles

Thanks @NoZoupForYou for this video. I recognize and respect WGs effort in this regard, and your video gives some good points. There is no reason to be salty over what is already done. 

Just would like to point out a couple of things from a marketing perspective. 

1. Jingles' fan base is perhaps equal to that of any fifteen other CCs. I personally would never have noticed this game, much less downloaded it or played thousands of battles, had it not been for his content. 

2. Having a contest between the CCs is a great idea, having a prize which is so wrapped within the desires of the fans dependent upon such a flawed and arbitrary set of criteria shows very poor judgement. The rpize should have been something less potentially divisive.

3. Making the prize potentially a permanent in-game reminder of a perceived snub to a large quantity of the fan base is the opposite of good marketing. 

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,648 posts
11,719 battles

Ah good, my morning dose of sanctimony.

• Funny 1

[TOG]
Members
3,453 posts
18,282 battles

So...Jingles got booted off on the first round and toxic plumes erupted as the result?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,435 posts
14,943 battles

WG completely lost me and any interest I had in this when I saw how it was blatantly rigged so the overwhelming fan favorite had ZERO shot (aka Jingles). It is a rigged and biased system/contest and thus has no appeal to me. I could care less about it now that I see how it has been run. 

Now, if they TRULY allowed for the players to pick the winner by vote then that is different but they set it up to seriously hinder any chance a popular entrant like Jingles had so that small, unknown and who cares about, people had a massive advantage.  Bleh...:Smile_sceptic:

So when this charade all ends instead of people being excited and all the posts about "yes I got Jingles for a Capt" or some other very well known personage we will see a lot of "who???" :Smile_facepalm:  I could be wrong but I have a feeling one of these unknown small entrants will win, probably from the EU somewhere, and the result won't be a special Capt ala Jingles but just another Capt with a name that means nada to us.

WG has some really good ideas at times but their implementation of those said ideas is horrible usually.

Fixed contest where someone we don't know will win. Yeah I can't wait... to pass on the Capt. :Smile_glasses:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3

Members
381 posts
3,987 battles
33 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

WG completely lost me and any interest I had in this when I saw how it was blatantly rigged so the overwhelming fan favorite had ZERO shot (aka Jingles). It is a rigged and biased system/contest and thus has no appeal to me. I could care less about it now that I see how it has been run. 

Now, if they TRULY allowed for the players to pick the winner by vote then that is different but they set it up to seriously hinder any chance a popular entrant like Jingles had so that small, unknown and who cares about, people had a massive advantage.  Bleh...:Smile_sceptic:

So when this charade all ends instead of people being excited and all the posts about "yes I got Jingles for a Capt" or some other very well known personage we will see a lot of "who???" :Smile_facepalm:  I could be wrong but I have a feeling one of these unknown small entrants will win, probably from the EU somewhere, and the result won't be a special Capt ala Jingles but just another Capt with a name that means nada to us.

WG has some really good ideas at times but their implementation of those said ideas is horrible usually.

Fixed contest where someone we don't know will win. Yeah I can't wait... to pass on the Capt. :Smile_glasses:

This 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,828 posts
7,053 battles
36 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Now, if they TRULY allowed for the players to pick the winner by vote then that is different but they set it up to seriously hinder any chance a popular entrant like Jingles had so that small, unknown and who cares about, people had a massive advantage. 

Jingles may be out, but if you don't want a complete unknown to win, then you need to go in hard for one of the other, better known CC's. If you choose not to vote, you lose the right to complain about the result (especially if it's close).

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,250 posts
12,391 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Jingles may be out, but if you don't want a complete unknown to win, then you need to go in hard for one of the other, better known CC's. If you choose not to vote, you lose the right to complain about the result (especially if it's close).

Meh, I'll just ignore the result. Not really interested in giving a damn about a broken contest. If you choose not to vote in a rigged election, how does that differ from the outcome when you do vote? If Chocolate and Steak are not on the menu, do you lose your right to complain when you decide not to choose between Sawdust and Chalk?

As I said before, I thought it was a cool concept, and applaud WG for the idea. The implementation needed to be better thought out and I recommend WG suspend the process and figure out a better way forward, or they will have to absorb a lot of negative marketing effects. 

Edited by LancerUlysses

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,442 posts
20,374 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No I don't think so. Not sure who came up with that claptrap when talking about elections. As a customer who is unhappy with how a business conducts itself, he has every right to voice his dissatisfaction. Personally I agree with Thunder, they rigged it against the most popular CCs with a convoluted mess and honestly I have lost interest in all of it. As long as whatever captain they put in the game has zero special skills and are dismissible, I won't care one bit. I will be upset if they give them a special skill or keep your from dismissing whomever it is like they originally did with ARP content. When someone sets up a competition, then sets up a competitor to lose, I won't participate but I will most certainly voice my displeasure at those actions. I have earned my right to do so by spending my time AND money on the game. I hardly need permission to do that. 

• Cool 2

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
47 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This:Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,435 posts
14,943 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am not wasting my time tilting at windmills in a flawed and rigged contest. Sorry but I feel participation in this rewards WG for a bad concept and no thanks. Guys like Vulggar, Lord Zath, Flambass, etc... will have to settle for my moral support now (assuming they are still in). With Jingles never really and honestly having a shot to begin with, based on how WG rigged the contest, it just soured me on it. 

I did see on reddit where Sub Oct has acknowledged they screwed up and they are working on "fixing it". Oh lord their fixes usually make it worse. LOL

Just for the record as much as I wanted Jingles to win I would have been ok with someone else if it was fair. This contest is not fair and frankly the way it has been implemented is bizarre IMO. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,435 posts
14,943 battles

The Ring is (supposed to be) Fun, and we should Keep it That Way.

You know, the more I reads the title of the thread the more it bothers me. While I know Zoup means well it really does bother me. My response to the thread title is if WG runs a contest for players to participate in, and ultimately decide the winner, then it should be a fair and unbiased contest where we actually do get to pick who we want. 

So with all due respect Zoup...

The Ring was supposed to be a Fair and Unbiased contest where the ultimate winner is the CC the players would most like as Capt in the game. It isn't working out that way. The overwhelming fan favorite is already out and some unknown CC no one wants as a Capt will probably win. WG in the future please make contests fair and unbiased and not rigged and flawed.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You know, the more I reads the title of the thread the more it bothers me. While I know Zoup mean well it really does bother me. My response to the thread tile is if WG runs a contest for player to participate in, and ultimately decide the winner, then it should be a fair and unbiased contest where we actually do get to pick who we want. 

So with all due respect Zoup...

The Ring was supposed to be a Fair and Unbiased contest where the ultimate winner is the CC the players would most like as Capt in the game. It isn't working out that way. The overwhelming fan favorite is already out and some unknown CC no one wants as a Capt will probably win. WG in the future please make contests fair and unbiased and not rigged and flawed.

Amen, agree 100%:Smile_medal:

[S0L0]
Members
1,103 posts
5,767 battles

Glad to see Jingles knocked on his backside in the first round. If he was such an overwhelming favorite, then the Jingles army should have been able to push him through.

As is, we have less flawed CC's, who provide better content, still competing.

May the best CC win!

Matt

Edited by mobryan
And here come the downvotes from the people who couldn't be bothered to vote for thier guy...
  • Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,250 posts
12,391 battles
15 minutes ago, mobryan said:

Glad to see Jingles knocked on his backside in the first round. If he was such an overwhelming favorite, then the Jingles army should have been able to push him through.

May the best CC win!

Matt

Jingles was not 'knocked on his backside.' he was not allowed to compete in a fair contest, in addition to internet problems in his region that he has no control over. Do your best to know the facts before posting something inflammatory, please.

Edited by LancerUlysses

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,442 posts
20,374 battles
18 minutes ago, mobryan said:

May the best CC win!

Yeah watching Jingles drop out because they purposely made rules that would keep him from winning is so entertaining.... Kind of pitiful if you ask me. 

Face it, whomever wins isn't going to be the best man, you can't say that when you force out the number one contender. Just going to be the CC that has the right numbers, might as well go ahead and do the calculating now and get it over with. It is a pathetic excuse of a competition but hardly surprising considering who was in charge of making the rules.  

Edited by Taylor3006

[S0L0]
Members
1,103 posts
5,767 battles

The formula for the ring is as fair as it gets for a competition of it's type. It eliminates quantity in favor of quality and rewards CC's with a loyal fan base, instead of allowing one or two behemoths to steamroll the competition because the average player may have heard of them once.

For the record, I don't have a dog in this fight, the CC whose content I value most is not competing. It's a shame, I'd like a chibi-Mouse captain.

Matt

Edited by mobryan
Good, Gooood. Let the hate flow through you, downvoters.

[WORX]
Members
3,873 posts
14,967 battles
15 minutes ago, mobryan said:

One major flaw. As per jingles recent "Mingles with Jingles" episode. HE bowed out due to factors out side of his control, which cause him to be unable to fulfill contest requirement. In this case there is nothing the "fans" can do when you fighter is unable to fulfil the fight contract to no fault of his own. O well Flambass is more into my play style so GL luck to all CCs. Its a good  fun... Lets not ruin it with American Toxicity.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,435 posts
14,943 battles
55 minutes ago, mobryan said:

May the best CC win!

Matt

Even if you wanted someone else you have to admit if you are reasonable and honest that the contest was rigged against guys like him. It is not a fair contest. Also, Jingles is actually a good guy so saying you are glad he was knocked on his backside in the 1st round is uncalled for. He also stepped down he was not beaten. Please know what you are talking about if you will make comments like this.

The best CC is subjective. In many people's eyes, and I would dare say the majority, the best CC is already out. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,435 posts
14,943 battles
35 minutes ago, mobryan said:

The formula for the ring is as fair as it gets for a competition of it's type. It eliminates quantity in favor of quality and rewards CC's with a loyal fan base, instead of allowing one or two behemoths to steamroll the competition because the average player may have heard of them once.

For the record, I don't have a dog in this fight, the CC whose content I value most is not competing. It's a shame, I'd like a chibi-Mouse captain.

Matt

With all respect it is not even close to a fair competition. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,828 posts
7,053 battles
38 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Lets not ruin it with American Toxicity.

There's no need to put a national flavour on it. It's just straight-up toxicity.

Sign in to follow this