You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

Sooooooo, Tier VIII then X for the next Ranked Season...

71 comments in this topic

[HYDRO]
Members
2,996 posts
4,596 battles

From the 0.7.8 Dev Bulletin: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/bulletin-078/

The tenth, anniversary, season of Ranked Battles is coming. Most of the rules will be the same as those for the previous season. Players begin progressing through the Ranks with Tier VIII ships, and switch to Tier X halfway through. Those who make it into the League of Sea Wolves will continue their fight on Tier V ships. Look forward to a total of 23 ranks, a seven vs seven format, and teams with mirrored lineups in terms of ship type and tier. You do not lose a star when you become the top XP earner on the defeated team.

One the one hand I wanted to take part in the coming Ranked since I sat the previous season out and was hoping for T6 or T7. On the other hand seems like I won't have to bother this season with it either and play more chill.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,138 posts
7,147 battles

The only issue I have with ranked is that  it seems like a lot of the better players  participate, which makes Random play even more of an abomination. 

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,907 posts
4,173 battles

I wish they would give us a break from ranked / CW. I am hoping after this ranked season there is a large gap in between the next CW season 

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
2 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I wish they would give us a break from ranked / CW. I am hoping after this ranked season there is a large gap in between the next CW season 

hoping we see expand to size for clan battles. Love to have another BB or two or perhaps a CV.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,996 posts
4,596 battles
1 minute ago, Cobraclutch said:

Yes I was wondering about that. How can someone not get burnt out by playing CW, then immediately followed by Ranked, then by whichever event WG has cooked up? I understand the need for new content, this is how freemiums attract players, but I feel its being shoved to people, driving them away.

[-K-]
Members
6,260 posts
10,474 battles
4 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

It does feel like we just got finished the last Ranked season.  I agree they should gap it out a bit more just so it doesn't become oversaturated, even though we know it won't happen.

Was also hoping Ranked wasn't going to include T10 ships this time around, since players are already using them in Clan Battles.  T6 or T7 would have been a welcome change.

• Cool 5

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,272 battles

I think it was in one of @SuperNikoPower's last interviews as a WG employee when he mentioned "The Plan" being to pretty much follow up one Ranked season with one Clan Battles season for the foreseeable future.  I haven't heard of any changes since then.

I plan on playing early in the season since late-season Ranked does not seem to agree with me at all.  Then, probably just up to the usual Rank 15 flag since I can really only play two days a week at this point.  Working two jobs isn't much fun, I'm afraid.  

-R

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles

More of a gap between clan battles and ranked would be nice, and a changeup of tier as well.  This is a good way to force burnout.

• Cool 1

Members
1,454 posts
8,371 battles

ehh.  so rather than make ranked an enjoyable game mode, they just keep stuffing more things into it to try and entice you to play it.  I will probably limit my self to rank 10 to mitigate the pain.(probably something like 20 battles)   I have to agree as well, that we had tier 8 at least 3 seasons in a row, and now 2 tier 10 seasons in a row.  add in clan battles, and i would guess many people are getting tired of playing the same ships. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,138 posts
7,147 battles
18 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Yes I was wondering about that. How can someone not get burnt out by playing CW, then immediately followed by Ranked, then by whichever event WG has cooked up? I understand the need for new content, this is how freemiums attract players, but I feel its being shoved to people, driving them away.

I dunno... you could always, you know, not participate?

Crazy talk, I know.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
2,996 posts
4,596 battles
2 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

I dunno... you could always, you know, not participate?

Crazy talk, I know.

Of course you don't have to participate. But since competitive modes tend to attract players with the promise of rewards, big events in quick succession can easily burn them out without them even figuring it out.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,051 posts
30,207 battles

No reason really to do Ranked Battles now that they have made the award ships participation trophies.  Got both of them , but it seems to me that WG decided it would be better to make Ranked a soul crushing grind (Adding stars to each rank, having split tiers, nerfing the rewards......) to milk the unwary of cash then to have left it where it was during the first 4 seasons.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
63 posts
3,058 battles

Soooooo, I'll be locked out of the middle again because I have no Tier ten. I like season Nine, it was my first attempt at ranked play. All the negativity around it surprised me, I had a ball. I'll make level ten this time but I do recent being locked out by the tier ten requirement. I would LOVE to play ranked with tier six ships, how about we leave tier ten for Rank 1?

[POP]
Members
306 posts
5,625 battles

I'd rather R10 switch over to T8 instead of T10. And the whole star thing still sucks for sure and promotes bad team play.

[FML]
Members
2,530 posts
12,064 battles

Gah, I hate this announcement.  

I'm not a fan of T8 ranked, and I really dont like T10 ships generally, and ranked in particular.  Will cost a mint to run 200-300 battles at T10 to get over the line, given I'm not actually very good. 

I still dont see what is wrong with T6 ranked - all the ships are incredibly well balanced and there are no clarly strong or weak ships* at that tier, as evidenced by the sheer variety of last T6 ranked stats.  Also, there is no radar at T6 to generate all those radar complaints.  

Clearly, T6 ranked is the best. Bring it back please!!!

*Except the Independence, obviously.  

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
289 posts
5,848 battles

Time to get up to that oh so good irrevocable rank 10 for some rewards and then forget ranked ever existed for the rest of the season.

Pure T8 ranked was fine and pretty fun, but T10 ranked last time around was a complete nightmare. I thought a lot of people played questionably in normal T10 randoms, T10 ranked is a whole other layer of madness. Never again.

• Cool 2

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles
38 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

No reason really to do Ranked Battles now that they have made the award ships participation trophies.  Got both of them , but it seems to me that WG decided it would be better to make Ranked a soul crushing grind (Adding stars to each rank, having split tiers, nerfing the rewards......) to milk the unwary of cash then to have left it where it was during the first 4 seasons.

Based on your own results, those ships were participation trophies for you as well, so that is kind of a crappy attitude to have about it.  The same thing could be said about you eventually having a shot at the Stalingrad if you keep playing Ranked instead of it being kept as a Clan Wars reward ship, but nobody's complaining about that.

Edited by Deviathan

Members
614 posts
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

From the 0.7.8 Dev Bulletin: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/bulletin-078/

One the one hand I wanted to take part in the coming Ranked since I sat the previous season out and was hoping for T6 or T7. On the other hand seems like I won't have to bother this season with it either and play more chill.

I was hoping for Tier 6 as well, change up between ranked seasons.  Oh well, I usually try to give it a go to rank 15 to at least get the custom flag.

I just miss taking the Budy out in Ranked :)

[CAFE]
Members
1,713 posts
12,275 battles

T10 ranked was a blast last season and unlike previous seasons there was no “meta” comp or ship classes. It was refreshing to see a ton of different ships rather than your standard amagi/Loyang/Kutur at T8 or stacking payfasts ontop of payfasts at T7. 

Edited by FratStar4Life
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
10,024 posts
28,166 battles
16 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I still dont see what is wrong with T6 ranked - all the ships are incredibly well balanced and there are no clarly strong or weak ships* at that tier, as evidenced by the sheer variety of last T6 ranked stats.  Also, there is no radar at T6 to generate all those radar complaints.  

Run Ranked at T6? That would be too intelligent. It was clearly too much fun the last couple of times they did it, and we couldn't have that.

I should add that there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason that WG couldn't simply have surveyed the playerbase to see what it wanted and then done that. 

But... WG has zero customer orientation. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[-V1-]
Members
365 posts
6,339 battles

Why not match Tier 9 & 10 Ships in Ranked Battle and then match Tier 7 & 8 Ships as well so you would have 2 levels of Ranked Battle by Tiers.    Same ranks and everything just different Tiers.   Otherwise, everyone becomes cannon fodder to pack the scores of the Tier 10 veterans to pack their scores on their way to the highest ranks.    I know it is competitive and I enjoyed the last round while learning a great deal from the more experienced players, but there was a group who were utterly ruthless in demeanor and play and that should be stopped by WoW's!

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles
10 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

Why not match Tier 9 & 10 Ships in Ranked Battle and then match Tier 7 & 8 Ships as well so you would have 2 levels of Ranked Battle by Tiers.    Same ranks and everything just different Tiers.   Otherwise, everyone becomes cannon fodder to pack the scores of the Tier 10 veterans to pack their scores on their way to the highest ranks.    I know it is competitive and I enjoyed the last round while learning a great deal from the more experienced players, but there was a group who were utterly ruthless in demeanor and play and that should be stopped by WoW's!

So you want to remove the "competitive" part from competitive mode?  Also I fail to see how mixing tiers like that would be advantageous in any sense.

e: to be clear, you're proposing having Tier 7/8 mixed games up to rank 10 and having Tier 9/10 mixed games from 10 to 1?

Edited by Deviathan

[O_O]
Members
5,087 posts
11,441 battles

I kind of like the switch in tiers in the middle of the grind.  However, I think Ranked should start with T6 and switch to T8, rather than T8/T10.  This would allow the inclusion of more players, as it can take a very long time to reach T10, and a lot of players don't have many T10's (if any) to choose from.  It also wouldn't be as silver expensive.

I wonder if coal and steel will encourage more Ranked participation this go-round?

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,737 posts
15,946 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

I was noticing that almost all the contests, missions, Ranked, and Clan battles are becoming tiers 8 to 10 exclusively. Yes, some of the activities allow for tier 5 and up, but even these are scaled so that the rewards get better the higher tier you play. In a way it seems like WoW is saying if you want rewards and good stuff you have to play high tiers where we make the most money off you, meaning that the "Free to Play" now only applies to tiers 1 through 7 in Random battles. That is kinda sad.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,737 posts
15,946 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I wonder if coal and steel will encourage more Ranked participation this go-round?

WoW is sure as hell hoping so, which is why certain ships are only sold for steel.