Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

RN DDs: Mini USN light cruisers?

8 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

From some of the videos I've seen, the CCs think that the Royal Navy destroyers are essentially mini-Atlantas / USN light cruisers, with reliance on IFHE and spamming shells over islands with their high arcs. How much truth is there in that? As someone who enjoys the Atlanta and Helena and will get the Boise, do you think the RN DDs will be a good fit for me? Do I imagine them as a very small USN light cruiser with torpedoes and smoke, and play them in very much the same way I'd play one of those ships? It seems that RN DDs aren't exactly good capping destroyers, they rely on others to spot for them so they can unleash their storm of shells, at least that is what I've heard. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Members
2,580 posts
7,359 battles

You could.... but remember your main role is screening the capital ships with your good detection + Hydro to murder most DDs (Except Battlecruiser Khabab) 

Sure spam your IFHE shells between that job at enemy BBS, but that is a secondary task 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,020 posts
4,612 battles

First off, the IFHE thing is for the Tiers IX and X that have 114mm guns. 120mm that the rest have is perfectly capable of damaging superstructures. I believe RN DDs will be reasonable cappers with the good stealth, guns and hydro, but will suffer when under radar or caught wrongfooted due to the slow speed. The fact they cant slot Engine Boost will make this worse.

Now as to your question, with a firechance like the one they are planned with, they will be able to play similarly to Atlanta or Helena. Their job however is being DDs, securing points, spotting and screening, not just sitting behind cover and spamming.

I really am curious how they will turn out when released and how their more selfish defensive style will work out. Will definitely grind them, but not sure I will like them much.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,912 posts
4,186 battles

They are ships with slightly better DPM and HP then USN DD's, with worse damage and Worse torpedoes and worse velocity. good concealment and horrible speed and a hydro. 

Maneuvering is a mixed bag, okay rudder shift and mediocore to decent turning circle. Bad AA. 

Honestly the RN DD line is very disappointing atm

• Cool 1

[IHW]
Members
18 posts
2,746 battles

Well, at least in the case of HMS Cossack/HMCS Haida, the Tribal class were derived from studies for a light fleet cruiser.  The design study that led to the Tribals was also developed into the Dido-class CLs.

Edited by mikelima7777

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
10 minutes ago, mikelima7777 said:

Well, at least in the case of HMS Cossack/HMCS Haida, the Tribal class were derived from studies for a light fleet cruiser.  The design study that led to the Tribals was also developed into the Dido-class CLs.

Still wished Haida had access to SBM2. Sure I've got Torp Traverse, Dispersion, and +5% SB range / dispersion. 

But what if I wanted ~6.0km secondaries..

I guess the ~5.0km will have to suffice. But it would have been nice to allows the ship to "open up" first with secondaries then MBs prior to being detected at ~5.8km

One can dream... can't they?..?

Edited by Ivlerlin

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,788 posts
3,942 battles
18 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The French 139s are the ones that will hit like trucks.  Ever been in a BB getting tag teamed by 2 Aigles?

Yes. I haven't felt so violated by two or more DDs since being ganged by a triple Khab division back when the line was relatively hot and Khab was more OP than she is currently.

Sign in to follow this