You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WaywardLemming

T5 or T6 matchmaking?

18 comments in this topic

[COOP]
Members
2 posts
431 battles

I am currently going up the German cruiser line and I understand that T5 & T6 matchmaking is pretty unkind. I have just unlocked the Nurnberg and have a 7pt captain from my Konigsberg but I am unsure of whether I should play a few more battles at T5 to gather more captain skill points or move on to T6. Any thoughts on how different T6 matchmaking is compared to T5 in terms of difficulty and things I should be aware of as I proceed?

• Cool 1

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles

T6 MM isnt as bad as people make it out to be. You're not top tier particularly often, sure, but you're not bottom tier that much either. Think about it. T8's constantly get uptiered to T10 games but if T6's are supposedly always seeing T8s...bit of conflict there. Most of the time in T6 you'll find yourself middle tier in a T5-7 game

• Cool 1

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles

I would say move on up, to the east side, so you can finally have a piece of the pie...uhm, what I meant was go for it, chances are you're going to be mid tier a lot, which is fine. Try and get concealment expert on your captain asap. The Nurnberg has great range, use it, kite a lot, spam HE and make a pest of yourself. Keep jinking around and you should be able to avoid BB AP from near max distance. Once you get CE, you can move closer and 'go dark' more easily if focused. 

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
9,110 posts
10,491 battles

I'd play Koni until you have 10 points on your captain. Concealment Expert will save you much salty rage.

[115TH]
Members
432 posts
2,682 battles

I play T5 through T7 right now. Having a 13 point commander on my T7 colorado helps. I am currently working my 3 DD lines at T5. I've already researched the T6 Gaede. But I won't buy it till I can put a 10 point commander skill in it. My advice is you might want to wait. 

Members
623 posts
8,792 battles

If you are a new player, take your time. Make sure you are confident and comfortable at your current tier and win more than you lose(50%+ WR) before moving up, especially if you care about learning how to git gud and not just fail your way to a tier X.

Good news is that the Nurnberg plays just like the Konigsberg(though I liked the Kberg better). Playstyle changes somewhat with the Yorck.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
838 posts
1,970 battles

You can take your Nurnberg into scenarios and earn 10-point commanders. I believe there are four scenarios that reward an American, Soviet, Japanese and German commander.

Killer Whale is the scenario that rewards the German commander. You'd need to division with some players to do it, though, as it's not currently the scenario of the week.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,610 posts
14,514 battles
7 hours ago, WaywardLemming said:

I am currently going up the German cruiser line and I understand that T5 & T6 matchmaking is pretty unkind. I have just unlocked the Nurnberg and have a 7pt captain from my Konigsberg but I am unsure of whether I should play a few more battles at T5 to gather more captain skill points or move on to T6. Any thoughts on how different T6 matchmaking is compared to T5 in terms of difficulty and things I should be aware of as I proceed?

Hi, welcome to WoWS and congrats on getting up to T6 so far. Nurnberg was also my first T6 ship :). 

As a cruiser, you do want to get the 10-point commander skill Concealment Expert as quickly as you can. However, I think you might as well get the Nurnberg at T6 whilst you're trying to earn the commander points.  Be careful with the Nurnberg - stay towards maximum range, and rain HE shells down on hapless battleships - your job is to keep their battleships on fire, doesnt matter if those battleships are T5 or T8 (in fact, T8 battleships are better targets, as their HP gives more fire damage, and you get much more XP for damaging higher tier ships).  But always, always, always, keep an eye on where the enemy battleship's guns are pointing - if they're in your direction, then you should be constantly changing speed and direction as much as possible, even if you throw your guns off - Nurnbergs often die to just 1 enemy battleship salvo.  They have a reputation for being an easy target. 

Good luck!

Edit: The reason I suggest you dont really need CE at T6 is because you'll be firing your guns most of the time you'll get spotted anyway.  Cruisers really need CE to hunt destroyers and to disengage from a firefight when things get out of hand - the Nurn doesnt do either particularly well anyway, so CE is less important for her... 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[4HIM]
Members
2,852 posts
10,783 battles

I'd say play the N'burg.  You'll earn more XP at the higher tier so you can get to that 10th point more quickly.  As others have said, you'll probably be mid-tier more than bottom tier.  And having graduated from T5, you've probably already seen a lot of T7 ships already.  And you can take the T6 ship into some Ops that will get you a 10 point captain if you get 4 stars.  And in Ops, don't neglect to use the AP in the N'burg.  In Aegis and Newport, the bots will show a lot of broadside and the AP on that ship is quite effective, especially under about 8km.  And while CE is a great addition for your captain, this ship has a great ROF, so once you start shooting you keep the guns singing.  That makes you money.  Where it really helps is when you want to go dark and disengage.  But the gun arcs on this ship help when you want to kite away.  

[PVE]
Members
966 posts
7,805 battles

Definitely start the Nurnberg. Keep that ship long enough to grind your commander up to 10 points before you move onto the Yorck though.

[O_O]
Members
6,136 posts
14,126 battles
40 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Edit: The reason I suggest you dont really need CE at T6 is because you'll be firing your guns most of the time you'll get spotted anyway.  Cruisers really need CE to hunt destroyers and to disengage from a firefight when things get out of hand - the Nurn doesnt do either particularly well anyway, so CE is less important for her... 

I agree with this.  CE is important early in the game before you start shooting, and when you stop shooting and try to run away.  For all the time in between when you are blasting your guns, it isn't crucial.  If you aren't going to be trying to sneak close to the caps, just get CE when you can.  It isn't a game changer for cruisers.

Edited by desmo_2

[-K-]
Members
7,901 posts
13,067 battles
4 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

I would say move on up, to the east side, so you can finally have a piece of the pie...uhm, what I meant was go for it, chances are you're going to be mid tier a lot, which is fine. Try and get concealment expert on your captain asap. The Nurnberg has great range, use it, kite a lot, spam HE and make a pest of yourself. Keep jinking around and you should be able to avoid BB AP from near max distance. Once you get CE, you can move closer and 'go dark' more easily if focused. 

Good points here.  Concealment Expert is almost a mandatory cruiser skill, but only effective if the player is wise enough to stop shooting and go undetected when necessary.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

Move up.  T6 is better than T5 is imo.  Nurnburg and Konigsberg both find themselves in a majority of T7 battles.  You might as well only be down one tier.

[YORHA]
Members
4,766 posts
9,353 battles

How bad MM is in tier V-VI  is largely dependent on what type of ship you drive. 

For Cruisers, with the right player & skill set, having a Tier V in a Tier VII match isn't the end of the world.  You are fast & agile enough to get out of trouble and can use islands and cover to protect yourself.

For DD's it is more problematic.  Tier VII sees the limited introduction of radar and HE spamming cruisers.  You can still succeed, but you have to change your game play style.

For BBs it can be a disaster.  Playing a New York or other slow BB in a tier VII battle is a recipe for frustration.  You don't have the speed to get where you need to be or get out of trouble.  Ships like Warspite can over match your armor and cruisers like Atlanta or Helena will burn you down just for giggles.  If you get left behind by the team (and you will be) the DDs and CVs will farm you like corn.

But regardless get CE

Members
152 posts
8,550 battles

If you find you are effective (generating xp at a good rate) with the Konigsberg, I would keep playing her to research the Nurnberg’s modules. I really enjoyed the Konigsberg, still take her out occasionally. To me, Nurnberg got me playing against higher tiers without much improvement from the Konigsberg.

[COOP]
Members
2 posts
431 battles

I made the move up to T6 and it feels pretty good for cruiser gameplay. I only have a handful of games but so far have been either top tier or mid tier. Nurnberg also feels sturdier than the Konigsberg so I can make more late game plays and sometimes risk early match engagements without YOLOing. I really dreaded T5/6 matchmaking but the reality (so far) is that it is much better than the horror-filled legend.  Maybe I'll feel differently once I get some more games under my belt. I do think approaching the MM with caution helped me because I did not try to play beyond what I felt my ship could do in the battle (especially when up-tiered). Thanks for all the feedback and advice. It is much appreciated!!

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
116 posts
9,263 battles
14 hours ago, JCC45 said:

How bad MM is in tier V-VI  is largely dependent on what type of ship you drive. 

For Cruisers, with the right player & skill set, having a Tier V in a Tier VII match isn't the end of the world.  You are fast & agile enough to get out of trouble and can use islands and cover to protect yourself.

For DD's it is more problematic.  Tier VII sees the limited introduction of radar and HE spamming cruisers.  You can still succeed, but you have to change your game play style.

For BBs it can be a disaster.  Playing a New York or other slow BB in a tier VII battle is a recipe for frustration.  You don't have the speed to get where you need to be or get out of trouble.  Ships like Warspite can over match your armor and cruisers like Atlanta or Helena will burn you down just for giggles.  If you get left behind by the team (and you will be) the DDs and CVs will farm you like corn.

But regardless get CE

How depressingly accurate.