You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Kagero.....smoke or torpedo reload consumable?

13 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
525 posts
8,478 battles

14 pt captain (so far) with Torpedo Armament Expertise (plus LS and SE to take SOME hits and not melt away).  Upgrades include the B hull, type 93 mod 2 torps, and mod 2 fire control.

Watching vids from the unicoms, reading other posts here....there doesn't seem to be a consensus.  Without smoke, I'm going to be very hesitant to fire her guns, which would be a mistake because they are not bad.

With all of the radar cruisers out there these days, smoke isn't the cover that it used to be, but you can run away until cooldown.

What say you all? Which one is the better consumable for the Kagero (and the Herekazi for that matter as a premier training dd)?

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
16,153 battles

Torp reload is the way to go imho. It's made me a better Kagero player and those torps do great damage. I always have 4 torp reloads at my disposal with the -5% consumable time flag plus flooding flag. The 5.4 detection with camo is awesome too. I still use my guns in certain situation and heck you can just borrow smoke from another DD or Russian/British cruiser. LOL! It's my favorite Tier 8 DD and Benson 2nd favorite.

Edited by dust340man

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,423 battles
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

14 pt captain (so far) with Torpedo Armament Expertise (plus LS and SE to take SOME hits and not melt away).  Upgrades include the B hull, type 93 mod 2 torps, and mod 2 fire control.

Watching vids from the unicoms, reading other posts here....there doesn't seem to be a consensus.  Without smoke, I'm going to be very hesitant to fire her guns, which would be a mistake because they are not bad.

With all of the radar cruisers out there these days, smoke isn't the cover that it used to be, but you can run away until cooldown.

What say you all? Which one is the better consumable for the Kagero (and the Herekazi for that matter as a premier training dd)?

With all the radar posts going on for months now - I'm going to call out this OP for Trolling forums :)

Members
106 posts
11,945 battles

TRB always. Guns are situational - with the Kagero’s slow reload, you won’t be smoking up to shoot, just not worth it. Here’s a good example, using TRB and guns to finish a Bismarck near the end of the match. 

https://replayswows.com/replay/15681#video

Edited by robotdaddy

[RKLES]
Members
11,746 posts
13,308 battles
8 hours ago, dust340man said:

Torp reload is the way to go imho. It's made me a better Kagero player and those torps do great damage. I always have 4 torp reloads at my disposal with the -5% consumable time flag plus flooding flag. The 5.4 detection with camo is awesome too. I still use my guns in certain situation and heck you can just borrow smoke from another DD or Russian/British cruiser. LOL! It's my favorite Tier 8 DD and Benson 2nd favorite.

Yes this is the way to do it.

8 hours ago, n00bot said:

Smoke is near useless with all the radar.  TB easy choice.

And this is the reason why.

[DBM]
Members
525 posts
8,478 battles

Thanks all for the advice.  Without smoke, I feel naked in a dd but it's a brave new radar world out there so torps it is!

[90TH]
Members
1,146 posts
10,567 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 5:57 PM, AMajor said:

Thanks all for the advice.  Without smoke, I feel naked in a dd but it's a brave new radar world out there so torps it is!

Running TB made me a much better DD player, learning to avoid detection without the smoke crutch, and the stealthy Kagero is an especially good ship for learning to run silent.

Edited by n00bot

[DBM]
Members
525 posts
8,478 battles
8 hours ago, n00bot said:

Running TB made me a much better DD player, learning to avoid detection without the smoke crutch, and the stealthy Kagero is an especially good ship for learning to run silent.

I am getting better, but it's those times when you get surprised that I miss the smoke.  There are others with 5.4 - 5.6 km concealment out there with the right captains skills and camo that can give the Kagero fits.

[SYN]
Members
1,144 posts
9,624 battles
On 8/1/2018 at 8:57 PM, AMajor said:

TRB always.  Kagero is all about skirting the edges of the Red team 's vision. Use your vision and the guns of teammates to push the red team around. I can't see out of a smoke cloud.

[NFE]
Members
358 posts
3,149 battles

Let me see if I understand the arguments:

A. Smoke is useless because radar.

B. Kagero concealment is awesome because we have forgotten about radar.

Is that right?