You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shinnidan

Cashing in ship exp worth it to speed purchase to ships you want

36 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles

Okay, i've been contemplating do this for one ship, namely the Yamato.  currently, I'm only at T6 Fuso on the Japanese BB line.  however, i do have a lot of exp, i mean a whole lot like over 4x the cost of Nagato, on her to unlock the next ship, Nagato.  BUT...i don't like any of the ships leading up to the Yamato, one of the main reason why i'm still playing Fuso. the other ships at T7-T9 are just not interesting ship that i want to play, my opinion.  

i have already done something like this, namely for the MO. i cashed in a bunch of Ship Exp to get her, at the cost of little more than a $100 in gold to do it.  

so, i'll ask you all this.  would cashing in all them ship exp, just to speed purchase to the Yamato, worth the money in gold? 

other wise, to me, all them ship exp that i have would be sitting there of no use. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,528 posts
18,794 battles

The NAGATO is a strong ship at tier 7 and is enjoyable to play.

The AMAGI is one of the best battleships in the game. 

She has very hard hitting guns. Turtle back armor. Can brawl with a Bismarck. 

With that said.

My IZAMO had very nice games, the first 2. By game 6, I said screw it and Free Exp'd to Yammy. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

IMHO, no. The MO Ill take as an exception because it was going to disappear from availability. 

But this is a time vs money question, relative to the individual. 

On the IJN BB line in particular, since you are at the Fuso; both the Nagato and especially the Amagi were fun/enjoyable effective ships. I am on the Izumo, and while I find it entirely meh, will still just grind it out.

Still it's up to you, time vs money. 

thank you.

you are right about time vs money factor.  don't get me wrong i've put in my time already in this game, basically just playing the ship that i want to play.  i don't mean to say that i'd fork up money, to inflate my my "Skill" as a player,  like some other "Pay to Win" games. i like to think that i know enough to play more higher Tier ships.  i have a few T9 ship in my fleet, yet have not grind them to get the T10s. 

i recently started playing the Germany DD line, yet i skipped the playing the t2 & t3, and went straight to the T4-5. does that make, me a lazy or bad player, since i can skip them? 

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
18,591 battles

As @Octavian_of_Roma mentioned, it is your time vs your money.  But if you don't learn to play the ships leading up to Yamato well, you probably won't enjoy the Yamato as much and may do poorly in it.

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,899 posts
17,422 battles

You may consider getting the Musashi, think about $120, so a bit more but you would not have the credit outlay to buy the Yami, and the Musashi is almost as good at a lower tier.  Yami is not a credit generator, I had to buy the perm camo for another 5000 doubloons for it to start paying out.  The Musashi, while not the ATM like the Missouri,  comes with perm camo and does for the most part make credits even in mediocre battles 

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles

i thought Musashi is no longer on sale but on for purchase with coal in the arsenal? 

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,304 battles
24 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

Okay, i've been contemplating do this for one ship, namely the Yamato.  currently, I'm only at T6 Fuso on the Japanese BB line.  however, i do have a lot of exp, i mean a whole lot like over 4x the cost of Nagato, on her to unlock the next ship, Nagato.  BUT...i don't like any of the ships leading up to the Yamato, one of the main reason why i'm still playing Fuso. the other ships at T7-T9 are just not interesting ship that i want to play, my opinion.  

i have already done something like this, namely for the MO. i cashed in a bunch of Ship Exp to get her, at the cost of little more than a $100 in gold to do it.  

so, i'll ask you all this.  would cashing in all them ship exp, just to speed purchase to the Yamato, worth the money in gold? 

other wise, to me, all them ship exp that i have would be sitting there of no use. 

No.

The conversion cost is really steep in money vs reward.  It's an awfully expensive way to go about getting a tech tree ship and should be reserved for major wallet warriors only. 

There's a somewhat better argument when we are talking a free xp only ship where the only way to get it is through free experience.  Even then it's going to be very costly in terms of doubloons which translated to expensive in terms of cold hard cash. Let's take a look at this in value for your dollar.  You spent over $100 for a tier IX battleship where for about that same amount you could have gone into the Premium shop and just purchased the T8 Tirpitz and the T8 Alabama or any combination of two ships they have ever offered.   

In this case, you are talking about a Tech Tree ship you can get just by playing enough battles and, if you've accumulated enough free xp, you can possibly avoid them altogether for nothing, zip, nada, zero dollars. 

I mean, it is your money and WG has designed this system specifically to massively profit from players who are doing what you are considering.  All in all, it's not whether someone else thinks its worthwhile, it depends on whether you think its worthwhile. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
11 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

The AMAGI is one of the best battleships in the game. 

I don't get why people say this. I played through her and didn't see why. The armor wasn't that great, and the guns were very trollish. I did well with her but I didn't particularly enjoyed her. 

[KWF]
Members
3,927 posts
5,915 battles

If I were you OP I would spam as hell Operations.

Think about it. You can easily get the Fuso grind done with some flags and camo on, get Nagato upgraded again in Operations and see if you like.If you got an Operations group these grinds can be done easily. Then get Amagi which afaik is a pretty solid T8.

If you enjoy your time with the Amagi unlock the Izumo and use the free xp to skip it and get the Yamato. Thats how I would do it anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,304 battles
9 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

i recently started playing the Germany DD line, yet i skipped the playing the t2 & t3, and went straight to the T4-5. does that make, me a lazy or bad player, since i can skip them? 

Not necessarily, a lot of players do that because they are interested in what they are interested in.  If you came to the game to fight in the Yamato, you're probably going to be underwhelmed by Kawachi. 

You say you have the skill level for a T10 and indeed you may.  I think it may make you a less complete player by skipping ships you don't want to play but we have lots of people who specialize in just a handful of ships and some of them are scary good.  I guess it all depends. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles

i have only three premium ship that i have purchased. 

MO, Tirpitz, Atlanta...and i love them all...very cool and fun ships to play. 

Members
622 posts
8,775 battles

/facepalm

Why spend cash to skip good ships? Fuso and Amagi are among my fave BBs in the game to play, and even the clunkers in a line(Izumo) can teach you valuable lessons.

On second thought you may want to skip Izumo.

/hides

• Funny 1

[FML]
Members
3,590 posts
14,497 battles
42 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

Look, do what you want, but I wouldn’t do that. 

I did the IJN battleships only after winning the Fuso in the Christmas 2016 event, and it was a good ship. I also enjoyed the Nagato - it was the first time I drove a battleship that felt like it was doing its job - sternly punishing enemies from range, but was also quite fun even close in. I stopped there for about 6 months having no love for the Amagi, but it turned out the Amagi was an excellent ship too (but you needed to engage from about 14 km away as it can’t take hits as well). I did three 200k battles in a row in her; truly terrifying. 

I haven’t bought the Izumo, having played it on the PTS I have no interest in driving her here. But that’s the only one worth free XPing.

good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles
6 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I don’t recommend using free XP to skip so much of the line.

and your opinion to why not? 

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,546 posts
33,557 battles

Spending Free XP to skip ships? Not a good idea.

Free XP should be mostly used to upgrade ships so you do not play them stock, and if you have enough to buy FXP-only ships like Musashi or others.

Besides missing great ships along the way (ok some not so great <cough>Izumo<cough>) you will be unprepared for T10 battle and Yamato's handling. Not an easy ship, in a very demanding tier.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
3,404 posts
3,540 battles
6 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I don't get why people say this. I played through her and didn't see why. The armor wasn't that great, and the guns were very trollish. I did well with her but I didn't particularly enjoyed her. 

I've only played Amagi on the PTS, but the guns were amazing. Dead on Accurate. Amagi and NC are IMO tied for best BB tier for tier in the game.

OP, don't skip. You don't know how you like those ships, because you haven't played them. People said the CO was terrible. I got to it expecting the worst, but I did well in it, felt very comfortable, and enjoyed the experience. Try a ship before giving up on it.

Nagato and Amagi are reputed to be good ships, no reason to skip them. If you get 20 games in and hate it, then consider skipping on. Even Izumo was buffed to fix her 2 biggest problems, HE spam and detection. Too early to tell if that makes the ship more enjoyable.

If you skip 3 tiers, you'll lose a ton of valuable experience that you'll have to learn in unforgiving and expensive T10.

Finally, the Yamato plays like the rest of the IJN. If you don't like the playstyle now, it doesn't change with Yamato, so you might be going up the wrong tech tree.

To sum up, don't skip just yet. Grinding up will teach you a lot, and the ships can be very enjoyable.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,404 posts
3,540 battles

Just a reminder folks, Izumo was buffed last patch, so it may be worth trying now, instead of skipping as I would have previously recommended.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles

O_o crap...i have a cap on liking post?! 

However,  i appreciate all your opinions.  ^_^ 

thank you! 

[SC]
Alpha Tester
233 posts
7,459 battles

So while it might not matter I am the type of person that values my time more than money.  I have skipped a few boats here and there because my time grinding away on a boat doesn't seem worth the frustration or effort when its just a grind.  Don't get me wrong I have played a bunch of games and love the game and the group of guys I play with but personally for me I would rather pay for the xp to get through a boat then spend hours and hours on it.  I usually try and play at least 20 to 30 games in the boat to get a feel for it though.  I also have sold every boat I have and I only have premiums and tier 10 or boats that I am currently grinding so that is that as well.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles
2 minutes ago, Seagrizzly said:

So while it might not matter I am the type of person that values my time more than money.  I have skipped a few boats here and there because my time grinding away on a boat doesn't seem worth the frustration or effort when its just a grind.  Don't get me wrong I have played a bunch of games and love the game and the group of guys I play with but personally for me I would rather pay for the xp to get through a boat then spend hours and hours on it.  I usually try and play at least 20 to 30 games in the boat to get a feel for it though.  I also have sold every boat I have and I only have premiums and tier 10 or boats that I am currently grinding so that is that as well.

ive sold the ship in favor of the next ship in line.  however, there are quite a few ship i have that i love playing and just cant give them up.  

ships like Isokaze T4... Minekaze T5...they are so fun to play...just could not cash them in.  another is the NM hated her cause was not very fast but...damn...good battles from her.  even my Zuiho...i'm not really much of a CV player...but hell damn cool to play...lol wont be selling her off anytime soon.  

originally, when i first started this game, i had the idea of grinding all the lines and keep ships from T7 and up.  but the more Higher tier i climbed...matches were not being fun anymore.  IMHO, i found that it was more satisfying playing in T5-to-T8 match up. occasionally, playing a T9 ship.  

so, Just to have an iconic ship like the Yamato...just to have...don't seem to bad, right? since i play,mostly in the mid-range Tier matches most of the time.  I never intend to play the Yamato very much.  basically, i just want her. ^_^ it really is a matter of time vs money choice. 

[LOU1]
Members
4,078 posts
11,282 battles
59 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

i thought Musashi is no longer on sale but on for purchase with coal in the arsenal? 

Your can use Free XP or Coal to buy her.

[SC]
Alpha Tester
233 posts
7,459 battles
1 minute ago, Shinnidan said:

ive sold the ship in favor of the next ship in line.  however, there are quite a few ship i have that i love playing and just cant give them up.  

ships like Isokaze T4... Minekaze T5...they are so fun to play...just could not cash them in.  another is the NM hated her cause was not very fast but...damn...good battles from her.  even my Zuiho...i'm not really much of a CV player...but hell damn cool to play...lol wont be selling her off anytime soon.  

originally, when i first started this game, i had the idea of grinding all the lines and keep ships from T7 and up.  but the more Higher tier i climbed...matches were not being fun anymore.  IMHO, i found that it was more satisfying playing in T5-to-T8 match up. occasionally, playing a T9 ship.  

so, Just to have an iconic ship like the Yamato...just to have...don't seem to bad, right? since i play,mostly in the mid-range Tier matches most of the time.  I never intend to play the Yamato very much.  basically, i just want her. ^_^ it really is a matter of time vs money choice. 

Heck no man if you have the money and you want the boat don't let anybody say you can't.  Really its your money and do what you want with it and if you like the game in the end your supporting it by paying for some stuff.  That is my thought any way.  I intend to buy back some of those ships when I have my tier 10s all done but right now I have prem's for almost every tier so I can play with friends.

Buy that Yamato and run it if you have the money and credits go for it.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,469 battles
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

Your can use Free XP or Coal to buy her.

really? i didn't see were you can get her with Free Xp? hmm...:Smile_amazed: