You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Death from Above

49 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,500 posts
9,070 battles

Image result for f6f hellcats in formation

*pictured - F6F Hellcat fighter about to launch from USS Lexington (CV-16) for combat air patrol duty near Taiwan (October 1944)*

What's the best defense against an incoming air strike?

There are 2 ways to defend the Fleet against an incoming air strike: airborne fighters (combat air patrol - CAP) and anti-aircraft defenses.

Your CAP can intercept and destroy any incoming threat keeping the Fleet safe from deadly bomb and torpedo drops.

On the other hand, defensive AA fire can knock down enemy planes but they can still drop their payloads inflicting damage.

Even though their damage effectiveness is reduced, an out of control fire or flood can still yield deadly results.

How do you defend the Fleet and yourself against death from above?

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, US Marine Corps

#tacticaltuesday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

Beta Testers
820 posts
10,307 battles

You cant expect teamwork in pubs. As soon as the damage starts flying ppl scatter trying to save their own ship. If the queue is heavy with cvs i log off.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

My Hood shot down more enemy planes than my team's Saipan, thanks to DFAA.

36 vs 14, for the record. It was a very bad Saipan.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,472 posts
13,826 battles

Best defense?

Go on forum, complain as much as possible, hope WG comes through with carrier rework eventually.

There is far too little you can do to influence things on the battlefield, and too much in-port. Selecting DFAA over hydro, an AA build and captain spec, being 2 tiers higher than or 2 tiers lower than the carrier - those are the critical things.

In game deciding when to press 'T' is about the height of carrier counterplay, and if that fails seeing how far you can lock your 15s rudder shift over when confronted by 150kt planes I guess...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
4,302 posts
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

There are 2 ways to defend the Fleet against an incoming air strike: airborne fighters (combat air patrol - CAP) and anti-aircraft defenses.

I thought there were a couple more?

a) manouvreing to either allow a maximum of aa defenses to bear, or (in modern warfare), to present a minimal sillhouette

b) decoy ships (as employed during the Falklands War), designed to confuse enemy strike, and radar guidance 

in WOWS, a) is a workable solution, manouvre forces enemy strike planes to spend more time aligning for a successful strike, and allows your ship more chance of mitigating dmg (better to take one torp on the bow, than 3 on the flank!). b), of course, is unlikely to help in WOWS//

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Supertester
588 posts
14,309 battles

Remember to manually target incoming squadrons for higher dps... 

• Cool 1

Members
4,406 posts
17,679 battles

The best defense is NO CVs at all!

Yesterday, I was in a match with 2 CVs per team. Right off the bat, both CVs focused on me, driving Helena, and demolished me before I had a chance to fire one shot. (My AA did pluck 9 chickens) Loads of fun WG! :etc_swear:

The Aircraft Carrier made surface combatants obsolete yet WG decided to include CVs in a game that mostly has... Surface combatants! Who are for the most part, helpless against CVs. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[OLDSK]
Beta Testers
425 posts
6,920 battles

Same old same old.  Sky cancer makes the game unplayable!  If only the games statistics and players agreed with them.  The players still play the game, quite a lot, and the stats don't actually show CV's breaking the game.  Now of course, if anyone is a player that is focused down every single match by a CV, then I'd really like to meet you.  But I think we know that that sort of claim is patently false and grossly overstated since you can simply queue up for another match and find no CV's at all.  If someone does get taken out by  CV, it's either luck of the draw(that means random like a detonation), or look particularly tasty(that means you put yourself in a position to be singled out and easy to destroy).

[-SCL-]
Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

Either my CV is stomping the opposing CV or getting stomped by the opposing CV.  Once that's over, the surface ships who have don't have adequate AA get stomped.

[-K-]
Privateers, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,877 posts
8,940 battles

I find clicking the "leave queue" button if there are more than zero CV's in queue helps :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
965 posts
7,776 battles

Most ships have no defense against a decent CV. Even my Iowa can easily get sunk with a single attack. All the CV has to do is send 2 TB squads and I am done for. Sure I'll shoot down a few planes but high tier BBs cannot turn into a strike fast enough to dodge. If a high tier CV wants you dead you're dead.

Some cruisers are better off with DFAA and decent maneuverability.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,114 posts
33,621 battles
On 7/31/2018 at 11:41 AM, Gneisenau013 said:

What's the best defense against an incoming air strike?

Press ESC when a CV enters the queue. Who wants to play with those unethical, game-ruining ships?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,847 posts
10,771 battles
15 hours ago, Velled said:

You cant expect teamwork in pubs. As soon as the damage starts flying ppl scatter trying to save their own ship. If the queue is heavy with cvs i log off.

5 hours ago, Tedster_ said:

I find clicking the "leave queue" button if there are more than zero CV's in queue helps :Smile_trollface:

Pretty much this.  Some ships, especially mid to low tier DD's, have essentially no AA.  IIRC, the Gallant has an AA rating of 2.  I do find games with no CV's to be far more enjoyable.  

Members
4,302 posts
19 hours ago, DarthZeppelin said:

I thought there were a couple more?

a) manouvreing to either allow a maximum of aa defenses to bear, or (in modern warfare), to present a minimal sillhouette

b) decoy ships (as employed during the Falklands War), designed to confuse enemy strike, and radar guidance 

in WOWS, a) is a workable solution, manouvre forces enemy strike planes to spend more time aligning for a successful strike, and allows your ship more chance of mitigating dmg (better to take one torp on the bow, than 3 on the flank!). b), of course, is unlikely to help in WOWS//

On second thoughts, in very rare circumstances, b) might be employed in WOWS with one low health ship sacrificing itself by cutting across a torp drop that is intended for another (presumably more valuable) player's ship. Not quite decoy, but more meatshield. The end result being very similar of course.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
11 hours ago, Tedster_ said:

5 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Pretty much this.  Some ships, especially mid to low tier DD's, have essentially no AA.  IIRC, the Gallant has an AA rating of 2.  I do find games with no CV's to be far more enjoyable.  

I'll remember posts like this next time someone tells me to adapt to a challenge presented by the game.

"Well these major figures on the forum said that the best way to adapt was to give up."

Or maybe you should grow up, take your lumps, and learn to deal with it. I spent 10 minutes being hounded by Kaga in Hood and shot down literally half his 95-plane air wing. Hood, you know, the big long battleship that supposedly is bad at avoiding torpedo drops? Against Kaga? You know, the carrier with the "impossible to survive" torpedo drop? I didn't give up. I actually chased him down and sank him. Because Hood is actually significantly faster than Kaga and I knew exactly where he was via following his planes back.

giphy.gif

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
20 hours ago, mofton said:

Best defense?

Go on forum, complain as much as possible, hope WG comes through with carrier rework eventually.

Yeah, when Pigs Fly!

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,134 posts
6,550 battles

If a CV wants a BB dead, odds are the BB will die. The trick is to make yourself an unattractive target through positioning and having company with AA. Even a Yamato can put up impressive plane kill numbers if you spec for full AA. It wont save you from the first strike but the CV is unlikely to come back if you wipe out half the attack force the first time around.

The best defence against a CV is to play one, understand how it plays, know their limitations. Once a CV player gets into the T9-10 CV's they start getting picky about their targets in the early game......know how not to become that target. Unless you are a bottom tier KM BB.....then you need cover cause you are the preferred first target!

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,500 posts
9,070 battles
18 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I'll remember posts like this next time someone tells me to adapt to a challenge presented by the game.

"Well these major figures on the forum said that the best way to adapt was to give up."

Or maybe you should grow up, take your lumps, and learn to deal with it. I spent 10 minutes being hounded by Kaga in Hood and shot down literally half his 95-plane air wing. Hood, you know, the big long battleship that supposedly is bad at avoiding torpedo drops? Against Kaga? You know, the carrier with the "impossible to survive" torpedo drop? I didn't give up. I actually chased him down and sank him. Because Hood is actually significantly faster than Kaga and I knew exactly where he was via following his planes back.

giphy.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

image.jpeg

"The only phrase I've ever disliked is, 'Why, we've always done it that way.' I always tell young people, 'Go ahead and do it. You can always apologize later." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Press ESC when a CV enters the queue. Who wants to play with those unethical, game-ruining ships?

Ahh No, CV is one of the strongest but at the same time weakest ships in this game. They can be a royal pain in the stern when being used by a good player or a Bot. But leave the game because of a CV, nope IMO that is a coward's way to deal with a situation.

I prefer to dodged their torpedoes and Dive Bombers and hunt them down an sink them! 

I never figured out why quit a game because of a CV, or any other type of ship.

[-K-]
Privateers, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,877 posts
8,940 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Because it's not a challenge, it's a balance abomination that WG hasn't been able to fix for the 4 years I've been playing the game.  As for your example, you conveniently leave out the fact that _Hood_ has a Defensive Fire.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Tedster_ said:

Because it's not a challenge, it's a balance abomination that WG hasn't been able to fix for the 4 years I've been playing the game.  As for your example, you conveniently leave out the fact that _Hood_ has a Defensive Fire.

giphy.gif

[OO7]
Members
1,412 posts
8,595 battles

Positioning.

I was in my Scharnhorst yesterday with a very good enemy Hiryu. I was alone, except for an friendly Japanese dd. I was also inside of the enemy AA bubble. Oh, also I'm not specced for any AA.

I never got striked. The planes were there, and they wanted to strike me. But I didn't let them. I stayed close to an island. This forced the CV to choose to either fly over my weak AA, allowing me a lot of extra time to shoot the planes down, or simply not strike. 

Any time he moved to make the choice to strike, I would start maneuvering away to prolong his flight time even more. 

He never did get to strike me. I used positioning to make the price in planes too great. 

CV's are only as strong against you... as you let them be. If it had been a t9 CV that'd be a different story. I would have had to stay with the fleet and use different tactics. But for a same tier CV? 

Positioning can solve a lot.

Edited by Spartias
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,744 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

giphy.gif

Sounds like a dead enemy team or a bad CV player to allow a cruiser into their backfield to chase their CV down.