You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OldSaltyOne

I'm thinking I should have done this differently

5 comments in this topic

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

So I had a match on the Map Hot Spot.  It was tier 6 to tier 8.  How ever I go straight in to cap A.  A Belfast pops up and he gets focused.  I take him out with a torpedo.  How ever I then think maybe I should go and grab B.  But I'm also thinking I should have done this a lot differently than I did.  Instead of making an attempt for B maybe I should have turned back?  What do you think I should have done on this one instead of meeting my demise?  I am also trying to figure out better tactics as well.

[KWF]
Members
3,929 posts
5,924 battles

Oke, gonna be pretty honest and straight up with my comments, hope you don't mind. 

First of all, I wouldn't have picked this side to cap A. I have a little rule that I use all the time in DDs. The moment I load in and see the cap opposite me, I plot in my head my escape route. Is there enough space to turn? What cover can I use? Should I enter the cap on reverse? Is my competition able to outspot me? The Belfast there goofed up with his smoke and got himself deleted. If he popped smoke before you spotting him he could radar you with relative safety. Then you could be in a bit of a pickle.

In addition you were sitting in smoke there still. Personally I would have turned my ship around in order to present a small figure vs torpedoes and get out of there in case it got too hot.

Good job using AP on both enemies, just because HE got buffed, broadside targets still get devastated by AP.

Vs the Myoko you could have turned away to present a smaller target, the turret angles of the Akizuki are pretty good anyway.

As for your route after A, I would have gone to harass the ships west of A, get them into a bit of a crossfire.

Last, using premium consumables especially for smoke and speed boost can be very useful.

Thats on the top of my mind, hope It's helpful.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Id rather have someone be honest than lie and say oh yea you did great.  I was just lucky on that even though I did go to A I had at least some mediocre support from the team.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,529 posts
18,794 battles

I would have gone to the left of small island, facing to the right, so island could block line of sight and cover escape route.

After capping, I would have moved to left. Screening for the left push..providing fire support if necessary and torping. 

You did not need to push b cap. Your team had 2 caps and was soon going to have a third.

Also you had no supporting fire for your b push.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
16,315 battles

My two credits worth, taken with a healthy pinch of salt, of course. :Smile_honoring:

Securing the cap was a good idea. I can understand why you hung out in the smoke until you had it. But better positioning against the possibility of a torpedo strike from the north side of the cap might have made sense. I know Akizuki turns like a brick, and is not exactly fast. (I have some games in the ship, myself.) But you can save yourself some deletions over time by positioning against what might be on the way toward your smoke clouds.

It seems you recognize running for B was not a good idea. I think I might have run back south to support my teammates down there. Might have been able to start a lot of fires on those red boats trying to push south while they were engaged with your mates, plus the possibility of landing a torpedo or two as they pushed or tried to turn around and run.

Good choice, going with AP at close ranges. Though I think you might have survived had you angled away. Akizuki is big and he landed a lot of shells on you. Of course the trade-off is that you would not have had as many guns firing on him. Maybe both of you would have survived. But in those cases stealth can be your friend, allowing you to use torpedoes or to catch him with his guns facing away from you a minute or two later.

Two kills in a few minutes is a nice trade, imo. Well done, despite me saying I might have done it differently.

Respects,

Am

(*Edit to add: looked to me like you do not have "Last known position" markers enabled. If not, go into your settings and have a look there. Can really help you keep an eye on potential danger areas. - Am)

Edited by Amracil