You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

An Amazing Display of Heroism in a Game

24 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

Last night there was an amazing barn-burner of a Raptor Rescue game in which a captain displayed an unbelievable level of heroism and dedication to duty.

In a nutshell, everyone on his team gets sunk.  In the final stretch, there's only the CV left and his banged-up Warspite. 

Picture this. Their destination is at midpoint along the left-hand margin. They're within reach of it.

About 10 km to their north are three enemy ships, two cruisers and a destroyer, bearing down on them

The Warspite is on the CV's starboard side so it's in effect shielding it from a rain of hellfire.

At this point the CV decides for some inexplicable reason to turn north and head for the enemy instead of continuing straight west for the destination point.

So the stunning and brave Warspite captain decides to bump the CV and push it in the right direction. Simultaneously, it absorbs blow after blow from the three enemy ships.

It fires back every thirty seconds. It's all it can do.

All the meanwhile the two big ships are stuck together like fighting Siamese Twins with the crazed captain of the CV trying to shove the Warspite out of his way.

Finally, the courageous Warspite receives a mortal blow and explodes like its sister HMS Barnham in the famous footage on YT.

Moments later the CV is detonated as well.

The odds are that the CV could have reached the destination if it had not tried to make a 90 degree turn to starboard and head north.

Who was that brave Warspite captain, you ask?

Spoiler

Why it was TheGreatBlasto!     :Smile_child:

:etc_red_button::cap_rambo::etc_red_button:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers
297 posts
13,325 battles

Good job sir,,, I present 2 you the Honorary Galactic medal of the mostest with the bestest,,,,,

gobstopper.png

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Don't  break your Arm Patting yourself on the Back.

DAFFqV3.gif

Self-Promotion is demeaning. 

Without Proof it is just a Fairy Tale

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
1 minute ago, Alien_Observer said:

Good job sir,,, I present 2 you the Honorary Galactic medal of the mostest with the bestest,,,,,

gobstopper.png

Thank you.

My simple wish is that players realize that WOWS is more than just a game.

It can be an opportunity for them to rise to the occasion and reveal their true greatness.

:cap_viking:

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,277 posts
10,554 battles

I think it was written in jest my friends coming from the Op . However It was well written and little more enjoyable than your average the big fish that got away story .

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
7,907 posts
13,067 battles
12 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Thank you.

My simple wish is that players realize that WOWS is more than just a game.

It can be an opportunity for them to rise to the occasion and reveal their true greatness.

:cap_viking:

Actually, it is just a game.  Some people just choose to believe its more than that.

• Cool 2

[SIMP]
Members
1,411 posts

Just proves the OP is programmed to fail at a certain point - regardless of player action.

Good job WG on making the game less and less fun! 

Edited by capncrunch21

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
781 posts
10,624 battles

My response is probably not what you would expect.  There is no "heroism" here.  Good sense to do things to help the team, check.  Prioritized team over self, check.  Not heroism.  Not a knock on you OP.  Its a social and media over/misuse thing I believe.

Being prior service, who served overseas, I see hero WAY overused in a sense that diminishes its worth.  Its similar to when they would hand out Bronze Stars or Silver Stars for actions that didn't meet the criteria.

What do I define as a hero?  Someone who prioritizes their actions to benefit the greater good for others at a high impact to their real life.  Examples: a soldier who jumps on a grenade to save his buddies.  A doctor who travel overseas to treat the sick who have deadly diseases and are in areas of the world with the lack of adequate care/being shot at, etc.

Again, not a knock really, just flinched when I read the thread's title

• Cool 1

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
36 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Moments later the CV is detonated as well.

CVs cannot detonate, ingame they lack the ammunition storage modules to physically receive damage required to detonate.

[NGA]
Members
1,967 posts
10,272 battles

And I thought I had an ego. Now if you had been a DD (or a player on low health) who used their ship and its wreckage to block a wave of torps from striking a cruiser or BB with most of their health intact, that would be "heroic" (I guess). Being the last man standing and trying to keep bots from being idiots is hardly heroic.

• Boring 1

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,628 battles
2 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And I thought I had an ego. Now if you had been a DD (or a player on low health) who used their ship and its wreckage to block a wave of torps from striking a cruiser or BB with most of their health intact, that would be "heroic" (I guess). Being the last man standing and trying to keep bots from being idiots is hardly heroic.

What in the world are you trying to prove with that signature?

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles

What happened to this

Members
260 posts
5,782 battles

While a semi entertaining bit of prose & I have no doubt you enjoyed yourself it is not possible to be heroic swinging a mouse. 

1 hour ago, Siegewolf said:

Being prior service, who served overseas

Amen brother! 

10 minutes ago, ApexShimakaze said:

What happened to this

Was this this 2nd time or the 3d? 

[A-I-M]
Members
2,573 posts
12,042 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Who was that brave Warspite captain, you ask?

Didn't ask, didn't click. Really didn't read it all, either. Seemed rather predictable.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
2 hours ago, clammboy said:

I think it was written in jest my friends coming from the Op . However It was well written and little more enjoyable than your average the big fish that got away story .

Good man.  :cap_like:

Yes, it was written in jest but the underlying story is true. The stupid CV did decide to head straight for the enemy and I got into a shoving match with it.  Funny stuff.

As with 90% of my posts there's truth wrapped up in some sweet humor for those who can recognize it.

Some people treat this game as if it were a matter of life and death and wouldn't recognize a dash of humor if their family's lives depended on it.

:cap_haloween:

[A-I-M]
Members
2,573 posts
12,042 battles
2 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

Just proves the OP is programmed to fail at a certain point - regardless of player action.

Now, now! Saying that Blasto is "programmed to fail" is a little bit much!

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles
1 hour ago, MizzenMast said:

Was this this 2nd time or the 3d? 

Ive lost count tbh. Probably 3-4 or so, give or take

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,510 posts
4,602 battles

Raptor does turn sharply to avoid torpedoes.  Could there have been fish in that water.

Members
3,064 posts
1,923 battles
7 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Don't  break your Arm Patting yourself on the Back.

"wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm not as awesome as this guy, so I'm going to downvote him while pretending to have a legit reason to, even though I don't!:Smile_trollface:"

Self-Promotion is demeaning. 

Without Proof it is just a Fairy Tale

DAFFqV3.gif

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Boring 1